Author Topic: Arena split  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Arena split
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
Which would still be highly welcome by me. A bit more diversity in terrain instead of the same kind of countryside  on every map :)

:aok

I'd like to have PTO maps that actually LOOK like the Pacific. White sandy beaches, palm trees, crushed-coral runways, AND NO WINDMILLS!!!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
Having flown in a setup like this before for several years, I can tell you the theater specific arenas DO have a distinct theater flair about them. Part of it may have been the maps - no ocean maps or carrier groups for the ETO theaters, lots of water for the PTO theaters, but the distinction was there and I always looked forward to the uniqueness of each.

Regards,

Hammer

Having the same background experience I completely agree.  But the planeset itself, and terrain was just one aspect.  The other aspect, the one that leads me to my opinion on this topic, is that the difference was not only atmosphere, but personality.  People settled in an arena because they liked available plane(s) or setup.  When you went to an arena other than your normal one, you *were* in a different neighborhood.  Players and squads made a home in an arena, and there was a familiarity with both Friend and foe above and beyond what is seen in AH.  The experience was like stopping at your favorite bar or club as opposed to the MA equivalent of taking the on-ramp onto a 8 lane highway at rush hour.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
I likw this idea. I would welcome it, different style of Aces High, something new. as far as downsides go, people would still fly the easy rides no matter what team just to be better; EX: Eastern Front, as soemone pointed out, youll have LA vs LA fights, Western Front, Spit vs spit fight, PTO, Pony vs Pony or nikki vs nikki. just my thoughts. other wise i like it.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
I can't speak for BaldEgl, but my thinking was to provide a multiple arena environment (each arena having its own distinct personality), where pyro's stated concept of a community of smaller neighborhoods could actually thrive...as opposed to what we have now.

That's exactly it and yes, you were the inspiration for this post.

Back in AW with Europe and Pac arenas there were people who were dedicated to their specific arenas and others who migrated around.  There wasn't a huge imbalance between them. 

No one whined about not being able to fly their favorite plane because all you had to do was go the the arena(s) it was in. 

Each arena did have it's own feel.  It wasn't because of the maps as much as the plane sets.  As a Europe regular I'd look forward to going into the Pac and upping a Hellcat for a change of pace... new planes, new map, new opponents... it was like finding a whole new second game.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »
I would like to see some sort of split.  It is nice to be able to fly against another pilot in the same aircraft and see who comes out on top.  But at the same time, it would be nice to have a place where there are more than just a handful of people (ie AvA) flying aircraft that actually matched up against each other.  I understand that some may gravitate towards one side or the other and may leave sides unbalanced.  

This may be too difficult to implement, but why not put squads and other players on rotation.  Every month they are required to fly another side.  One month, they may log into let's say the US ETO and then the next month they can only fly Axis ETO.  That would in a way level the sides out.  Stupid idea I guess.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
 Every month they are required to fly another side.  One month, they may log into let's say the US ETO and then the next month they can only fly Axis ETO.  That would in a way level the sides out.  

Hmm I'm afraid that kind of "rolling player set" is a very quick way to get rid of a big, if not most, part of the customer base.  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »

I'd like to have PTO maps that actually LOOK like the Pacific. White sandy beaches, palm trees, crushed-coral runways, AND NO WINDMILLS!!!
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »
Would be eve better just going to 2 teams. Allies vs Axis in all of them..

The current AVA has too many issues as is.

The PTO and ETO is good though.

pretty sure someone already tried this.  :aok
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

Theater based maps would make that a lot more feasable.  Now you have to load all the possible textures that you'll run into.  If things were theater based you'd only have to pre-load the textures needed for the theater you were entering.

How about winter maps for the Eastern front?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
The axis and allied areans is something I've always wanted. But I'm afraid 3/4 of the player would be in spits and 51s against whatever the 1/4 axies players flew.
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Would be eve better just going to 2 teams. Allies vs Axis in all of them..

The current AVA has too many issues as is.

The PTO and ETO is good though.

I've often wondered why the AvA arena is never populated. Personally, it's the only arena that would interest me if the numbers were up to par. What are these issues you speak of, and why do you think more people don't play in there? :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
For one a lot fewer people would want to fly as Japan in a PTO Axis vs. Allied arena.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »

Just so everone knows,

Pyro and I have created a game with 4 countries.
Pyro and I have created a game with 2 countries
Pyro and I have created a game with 3 countries.

We think  3 works the best for unstrucksured game play.

HiTech

TT We are going to remain 3 sides in the main arena.
What 3 sides does for arena play.

1. It balances out 1 side having more players than the other.

2. It Spreds the fights out accross the arena. If you only have 2 sides you would see a lot more of everyone fighting in 1 spot.

3. It provides everone with more enemys to fight. If all 3 sides are = numbers you always have 2 enemys to fight for your sides 1.

4. It creates a more dynamic enviorment because who each country is attacking changes . As opposed to 2 sides where you are always attacking the same side.

5. Countryies devlope a personality over time. With 3 countries we end up with a more diverse flavor.

HiTech

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
For one a lot fewer people would want to fly as Japan in a PTO Axis vs. Allied arena.
If the KI61,KI84 and niki were in the plane sets, I think alot would want on the axis side.I wouldn't mind taking on any allied fighter in one of those.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »
I've often wondered why the AvA arena is never populated. Personally, it's the only arena that would interest me if the numbers were up to par.

While there are many reasons for this, and everyone not flying in AvA (like me for example) has his own weighted combination of them, I'd guess one of the major ones you have stated yourself: "If only numbers were up par". Numbers generate numbers. Once an arena goes below a certain level, a vicious circle starts. Smaller numbers on login screen will result in even less number of players logging in. If all those players not flying AvA just because of low numbers would log in - the numbers might be actually surprisingly high ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman