Author Topic: Flashing the BIOS  (Read 1512 times)

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
Re: Flashing the BIOS
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
Did you burn it as an ISO image?  If you didn't it wouldn't work.

Yep, exactly like I the instructions told me to. That aside I've burnt ISO's before so it wasn't my first time doing it so I wasn't sure what the problem was since it didn't tell me to do it in any odd way. Oh well, using a different mobo now anyways.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
Okay.... I flashed the BIOS, all was well. But then.... I decided to use the 166/166 setting for the FSB which I forgot was non-bootable. Well, now the freaking thing won't even activate the monitor so I can change the setting to a lower frequency. I tried resetting the CMOS as is explained here, however it didn't work. I have not yet tried a new video card (which will take a while to get out of our family computer) and so therefore was wondering if any of you knew how to flush the BIOS settings back to default so I can start the system.

Just to confirm, the BIOS installed just fine. It was when I altered the default clock settings after the install of the BIOS when I messed it all up. :rolleyes:

Man... I hope I didn't nuke my system...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:05:55 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Are you sure you got the jumpers back in the right place?

You should be able to re-set the CMOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for a couple of minutes then replacing it.  Of course make sure it's disconnected from power and that you discharge static electricity from your body first.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:49:35 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »
I am going to leave the battery out for a day and keep the power cord unplugged. Thanks for the suggestion.
FlameThink.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 03:32:18 PM »
Man this sucks...! I pulled out the battery (After shutting off the PSU and pulling out the cord) leaving it out for about 25 hours. After attempting to start up the system (After inserting the battery and plugging in the PSU power-cord) I get the same results.... Nothing. I also tried the recommended method to reset the CMOS, again. Still, nothing.

When I say nothing, I mean the system powers on (fans are spinning as are HDs and CD-ROM drives) but I don't receive any BIOS beeps or visuals on the monitor. I checked to see if the processor was fitting right, it's sitting just fine. I checked to see that all power cords are plugged in the right way, they are. Still nothing makes sense about this.

Any other ideas about this, since this thing is not cooperating? :(

FlameThink.com

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
Are you 100% absolutely sure --ALL-- cords/parts are plugged in the way they should be?
Nothing got knocked, bumped, pulled or fell out of place?
Did you make sure you grounded yourself before touching anything?
If this applies, have you tried using on-board video instead of a add-in Video Card?
Have you tried only using one (1) stick of RAM?
Do you have any spare parts that can be tested with?  Ex. spare Motherboard, CPU, GPU or RAM.

These are just steps the Tech guy at the store always suggests.  Of the four stores only one actually knows anything, and I trust 'em. :)

Would hate to think you may have had a part die.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
I'm 97% certain everything is plugged in correctly. Some of the cords don't seem to fit too well since they're old (no, it's not a modular PSU.) Well, while trying to take off the CPU fan and heatsink the tool I was using to lift off the clip that ties the heatsink to the motherbaord snapped and poked the motherboard. I don't know how hard it struck the board or if it did any damage, certainly none was visible to me (even with glasses on). I tried one stick of RAM, a different video card (which didn't use the AGP port), and unplugging other components, just to ensure something else wasn't messing up. I'm not sure what you mean with, "Did you make sure you grounded yourself before touching anything?" I assume it meant discharge any static electricity by touching something else. If that was what you were suggesting, yes and no. Two times I touched my sound-card and the static electricity discharged. It wasn't anything powerful, though.

I don't have onboard video.
FlameThink.com

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
170 please don't confuse the situation. :furious :furious The mobo is grounded to the case so him grounding himself should be a non issue. Denholm you probably did not nuke the system. Most processors will not boot(post) if you have overclocked too high and will definitely not boot if messed up a setting. Usually a CMOS reset will solve the problem. LOL, when I originally overclocked my cpu, I had to reset CMOS many times till I got it perfect. My old Athalon needed just a battery pull and reinstall. Newer Mobos have a jumper. I can reset my CMOS with no light I did it so many times when I o'cd.  :rofl

To properly reset CMOS follow these instructions.

Turn off computer and unplug.

Uninstall Battery

Next is important. There will be a "jumper" that is on 2 pins of a 3 pin config on the mobo. You need to switch the jumper to the opposite pins.This will ground out the mobo.

Next move the jumper to original position.

Re-install battery.

Plug-er in-get-r-done

Here is an illustration of pin config   

JUMPER ON 2 BOLD DOTS(original config)

V   V
                                                                 .    .    .

JUMPER MOVED TO GROUND MOBO
                                                                         V     V
                                                                     .    .      .

JUMPER BACK TO ORIGINAL CONFIG   

V   V
                                                                 .    .    .

There are 3 pins in this illustration. The jumper is over 2 in the original config.

Let us know how you did!!! GL

Death
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:16:36 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
The mobo is grounded to the case so him grounding himself should be a non issue.
Lets see winter time... dry air, static.  YOU ALWAYS ground yourself before working with electronic parts.  Does not matter if the MB is grounded to the case or not.  If it does not matter why do they make grounded wrist straps, antistatic bags for shipping items like ohhhh memory, hard drives etc etc.  One little static discharge and poof a component is dead.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »
Always thought if the mobo was grounded it would be OK. Sounds like he didn't reset the bios properly and also seems like its the 1st time he did it.
See Rule #6

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
Lets see winter time... dry air, static.  YOU ALWAYS ground yourself before working with electronic parts.  Does not matter if the MB is grounded to the case or not.  If it does not matter why do they make grounded wrist straps, antistatic bags for shipping items like ohhhh memory, hard drives etc etc.  One little static discharge and poof a component is dead.

Yep, you always need to ground out on the computer chassis (preferably with your shoes off) before touching any of the electroic components within.  It may seem like a small discharge to you but that instant surge can kill a component dead.  I think capacitors are particularily susceptable but I could be wrong about that.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
Always thought if the mobo was grounded it would be OK. Sounds like he didn't reset the bios properly and also seems like its the 1st time he did it.

No.  When you touch a component the charge travels through the component's circuits to reach ground and causes damage along the way.

When you touch the chassis you ground out immediately without the charge travelling through any components.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:31:04 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 03:15:45 AM »
Wish we could find out if Denholm had any luck.
See Rule #6

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
Hey guys, I'll try what Dr Death suggested, as I did not set the jumper to the reset position with the battery out. However, I attempted resetting the CMOS so many times as explained here to no avail... I don't think it will work, yet it is still worth a try. I'll let you guys know later this afternoon.
FlameThink.com

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
If it isn't broken.................

I have only flashed a MoBo once.  It worked.  I wouldn't do it again unless it was absolutely necessary, on a system that I rely upon for anything.  Too many things can go wrong.

As far as the static goes, a grounding strap setup anytime you work on a computer for any little maintenance is still cheaper than most any part inside your tower.

An ounce of prevention................... .
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.