Author Topic: Flashing the BIOS  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Flashing the BIOS
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:21:47 PM »
Hey there,

I was going to experiment and flash my system's BIOS. It's outdated and there is a potential fix for an issue I've been encountering. My question is if I have to download and flash every BIOS update in-between before I download and flash the BIOS update I want?

Just trying to make sure I don't mess up the system. Thanks in advance! :)

ECS K7S5A 1.0
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flashing the BIOS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
No.  Just the latest.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:16 PM »
What he said
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »
Certain ASUS BIOS updates require you to have BIOS X.xx pryor to going to the newest BIOS.  Check with the MB maker before and make sure there are no restrictions of this kind.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
Ugh, you're still hanging onto that K7S5A board?  I've known from buddies that have had nightmares with that board.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »
Evertime I hear a bios flash I hear a screach in the distance!    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Denholm, if you do not have any problems, I would not recommend it. Experimintation would not be a good reason to flash your bios unless you have a problem or are overclocking and upgrading the bios. Make sure the issue may not be curable though other means.

GL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:00:53 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »
Just make a boot disk and do not flash in windows.

Make sure you back up your current bios on a boot disk before you do it.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »
 :aok Delirium
See Rule #6

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »
Just make a boot disk and do not flash in windows.

Make sure you back up your current bios on a boot disk before you do it.

Since my first Asus board in 2003, I've always flashed through Windows.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:53 AM »
Only flashed my BIOS once, and is on my current Biostar Board.  I skipped 2 updates and went to the newest, and flashed through Windows.  Gotta say it was the easiest thing I've done with computers in a long while.  I just open the File with the Biostar Flash program, let it run 2 minutes, restart PC, done.

Never had troubles, but always check with the Board maker, or manual to check the best way. :aok
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:09 AM »
Only flashed my BIOS once, and is on my current Biostar Board.  I skipped 2 updates and went to the newest, and flashed through Windows.  Gotta say it was the easiest thing I've done with computers in a long while.  I just open the File with the Biostar Flash program, let it run 2 minutes, restart PC, done.

Never had troubles, but always check with the Board maker, or manual to check the best way. :aok

Flashing bios can be risky and is usually not recommended. If you have no issues why flash bios? There is no reason for the average user. Sometimes new versions on older boards may introduce incompatabilities.
See Rule #6

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
Only tried to flash my BIOS once. It was when I had my XFX 680i LT. Got it off the XFX website and put it on a CD like they said(don't own a floppy drive) and tried to flash. Mobo kept telling me it wasn't the kind for that mobo so I just gave up.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
Flashing bios can be risky and is usually not recommended. If you have no issues why flash bios? There is no reason for the average user. Sometimes new versions on older boards may introduce incompatabilities.

The only real risk involved is a power-off failure during the flashing process.  There are many reasons to flash; resolution of current motherboard issues, compatibility with newer technologies, faster speeds, cooler temps, etc.

A BIOS update is tailored to a specific motherboard so how would a BIOS made for a specific motherboard be incompatible with that motherboard (regardless of it's age)?

I've flashed my board 3 times since I built my machine in April.  Once to repair a graphic corruption issue and once to enhance compatibility with 1066 memory (even though I'm running 800).  THe final flash had no particular use to me but it's such an easy process there's no reason not to remain up to date.

Only tried to flash my BIOS once. It was when I had my XFX 680i LT. Got it off the XFX website and put it on a CD like they said(don't own a floppy drive) and tried to flash. Mobo kept telling me it wasn't the kind for that mobo so I just gave up.

Did you burn it as an ISO image?  If you didn't it wouldn't work.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
Challenge in your case correct but it seemed 170 just did it cause there was an update. If there are no issues there should be no reason to flash. If there is any power interruption the user can have a probelm which is unlikely. The point of BIOS updates is that the manufacturer will fix a problem. Sometimes BIOS updates give a significant performance boost from it but usually the performance boost will be in overclocking not default settings. If there are no issues with a persons system, I feel it is best to leave it alone. Novice users may misinterpret this information and create a potential problem by flashing their BIOS when there may be no need. I do agree with the cooler temps but generally temps are not bad at default settings even if there is an issue. The manufacturers website will have a list of issues corrected with the BIOS flash and it is wise to read.

I was wondering if you had a quick explanaition on how to update the bios on video cards. The updated bios on most of the 3800 and 4800 series ATI cards does update heat issues. If I am not mistakin, the manufacturers absolutely recommend no bios update on a video card. Callenge, I have no idea how to update a BIOS on a video card.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:46:46 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »
Well, thanks for that tip Delirium. Now I just have to find that BIOS... :(

The reason for updating the BIOS is that there's a potential for me to overclock (Currently can only get 1.33 GHZ) and the potential for support of HDs over the size of 160GB. Currently there is no work-around that I know of other than a BIOS update. Here are the pages I was looking at for information on flashing the motherboard BIOS:

Bios downloads and Flashers: http://www.lejabeach.com/ECS/ez.html
Guide to Flashing the Motherboard: http://k7s5amotherboardforum.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/888

Thanks again for the help, I'll see if I can find my old BIOS so I have a backup.

EDIT: Belarc Advisor reports that I have the, "American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01" BIOS, however, no such BIOS is listed on the website I mentioned above. As an added bonus, ECS does not list the K7S5A v 1.0 on their website, only the 1.1 and above. Is there a way to backup my active BIOS without having to download it? The problem is I don't have the manual or original BIOS files for this motherboard since my neighbor built this computer for me and kept all the materials.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:18:24 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.