Author Topic: Flashing the BIOS  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Flashing the BIOS
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »
I'll try to find one some time. I won't be flashing the BIOS of that motherboard again, as that was the latest release and probably the last release. I was trying to fix two issues. The first issue was that my motherboard would not recognize all of my HD. The second issue was that it wouldn't let me speed up my processor some. Well, I finally got the option to speed it up, but set it a frequency which was, "non-bootable." :(

No, I haven't tried resetting the CMOS again. As I mentioned before, I'll try that later this afternoon.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »
Well, it didn't work. :(

I started off checking to see if the computer's PSU was unplugged. If it were plugged in, I would've disabled the power-flow by switching the PSU off, then unplugging the cord from the PSU. Afterward I removed all cables connecting the computer to any devices. Then I opened the case. Afterward I touched the chassis to, "ground" myself. I popped out the battery and afterward switched jumper 4 to slot 1-2 (reset). I waited about 2 minutes then switched jumper 4 back to slot 2-3 (default). I then popped the battery back in, closed the comp side, plugged in all cords connecting the computer to other devices, plugged in the PSU, enabled power-flow to the PSU by turning the PSU on.

I then proceeded to turn on the computer. It started and began spinning CD-ROM Drives and Hard Drives. Once again, the monitor did not activate and there were no BIOS beeps. Same idle state as before.

Any other ideas before I confirm the death of my motherboard?
FlameThink.com

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
Always thought if the mobo was grounded it would be OK. Sounds like he didn't reset the bios properly and also seems like its the 1st time he did it.

Gets my vote, Ive never pulled a battery, unplug, flop the jumper, wait, flop the jumper back, good to go
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
do you have onboard video as well as an a video card?  when you reset the bios you may have turned the onboard card back on.  If so try your vid cable in the onboard socket, you may have to pull your add on vid card first

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
Watch it be something really stupid like "Hey, I forgot to turn the monitor on"   :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I spoke with him on the phone.  We went through several reset attempts.  Seems he used a 3rd party BIOS and when he tweeked it, it failed.  I, IMHO, think the BIOS rom chip is failed and he has to send this MB in to EliteGroup for repair or buy a new ROM chip and replace it himself.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »
I spoke with him on the phone.  We went through several reset attempts.  Seems he used a 3rd party BIOS and when he tweeked it, it failed.  I, IMHO, think the BIOS rom chip is failed and he has to send this MB in to EliteGroup for repair or buy a new ROM chip and replace it himself.

There's ALWAYS something that isn't told.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 05:18:10 PM »
Bios is something people shouldn't mess with in the first place. Now installing a 3rd party bios is just asking for it.

Some people have unrealistic expectations with bioses that date to i286 times when bios tweaks and updates sometimes made a difference. Nowadays things are way more advanced and people should update their bioses only in one case:

If the current bios doesn't support some of your current hardware.

Otherwise do yourself a favor and leave it alone. Unless you want a dead motherboard.. Live and learn I guess..
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 12:18:31 AM »
I'm happy because my MB has dual BIOS chips, main and backup. There's a jumper that'll allow you to boot from the backup chip in case of a meltdown. :D I don't know why this isn't a standard today.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 02:47:54 AM »
Evertime I hear a bios flash I hear a screach in the distance!    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Denholm, if you do not have any problems, I would not recommend it. Experimintation would not be a good reason to flash your bios unless you have a problem or are overclocking and upgrading the bios. Make sure the issue may not be curable though other means.

GL

Picture of Denholm after BIOS FLASH
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:rofl just kidding Denholm... I was rootin for a quick fix!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:52:59 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
There's ALWAYS something that isn't told.
I figured it was irrelevant as the BIOS flash worked and the comp booted. However I reset the FSB to a frequency which was listed as, "non-bootable." Non-bootable to me means it won't start Windows yet will still POST. Therefore I didn't consider it to be as critical as it really was.

I do believe I have a backup ROM chip, as I see two on my board (At least I think it's the ROM chip).
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
I figured it was irrelevant as the BIOS flash worked and the comp booted. However I reset the FSB to a frequency which was listed as, "non-bootable." Non-bootable to me means it won't start Windows yet will still POST. Therefore I didn't consider it to be as critical as it really was.

I do believe I have a backup ROM chip, as I see two on my board (At least I think it's the ROM chip).

Obviously you have the BIOS you flashed from.  Why not try to boot from it and flash again to see it if restores defaults?  Of course a BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer's web-site would be better.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
That's something else I tried. Unfortunately the system was unresponsive when I attempted doing that. How long do you think it would take for the system to recognize the disk? And would the screen activate or would I have to flash it blind?
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
That's something else I tried. Unfortunately the system was unresponsive when I attempted doing that. How long do you think it would take for the system to recognize the disk? And would the screen activate or would I have to flash it blind?

Not sure how it would respond but I would think it would do something pretty quickly.

Do you have a Windows boot disc you can try?