Author Topic: Land Grabbing  (Read 5009 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Land Grabbing
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
I have a question for land grabbers and my intent isn't to judge your game play but merely understand your motives for it.  I'm just curious what motivates you to capture bases and try to win the war.  On these gigantic maps you can barely put a dent into any sides actual base numbers.  And after your efforts, you log off and go to sleep.  When you log back on the next day usually the map is entirely different than how you left it.  I'm also curious how many "War Victories" are actually achieved monthly on the large maps and if getting booted from an arena is really an award that makes it worth doing.

I've done the land grab thing before and it was definitely fun but I lost interest in it realllly quick because I finally just asked myself, why am I trying to capture this base?  What is this really going to accomplish?  What's the point?  If it's a way to create teamwork between you and your friends I can understand wanting to create that sense of teamwork because it makes the game more fun, but I've learned for me personally, there are much better ways to teamwork and have it be incredibly more satisfying.  Maybe some die hard land grabbers could explain their motives so I can better understand.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Land Grabbing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
Ill answer as a furballer and make your argument go to crap. Its all personal preferance, Im in a land grabbing sqaud but I like to furball. Alot of times the best fights happen at a base thats almost taken. Also it creates new fights, personally my favorite furball is one over a V-Base, to take the base you need air dominance over it and it ends up being a great furball with acouple of easy B 25H kills to add on to your good victories. If nobody took bases the maps would be the same lame furball all day long, I like changing the terrain of where i fight because I think that goes along with ACM, to be able to use the land against your enemy.

nuff said :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
If you just furball, it will get old eventually and you might lose interest.

Base grabing involves much more than just shooting people down.  There jabbo and GV's usually in the mix and a good variety of it. 

That is what we do in squad night.  The other nights furball.

* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »
Ill answer as a furballer and make your argument go to crap. Its all personal preferance, Im in a land grabbing sqaud but I like to furball. Alot of times the best fights happen at a base thats almost taken. Also it creates new fights, personally my favorite furball is one over a V-Base, to take the base you need air dominance over it and it ends up being a great furball with acouple of easy B 25H kills to add on to your good victories. If nobody took bases the maps would be the same lame furball all day long, I like changing the terrain of where i fight because I think that goes along with ACM, to be able to use the land against your enemy.

Yeah taking bases definitely promotes fights which is a good thing but do the people trying to take the base really care about the fight that they inadvertently created?  If they did it with intent of creating a fight and then participate in the fight they created, power to ya.  I am curious about the motivations of those who play with their only intent to win the war at all costs.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:27:13 PM »

SRI...you aren't describing a "furballer". You are describing a "vulture". :)

BTW, nothing wrong with either, as there is nothing wrong with attacking and capturing fields. What the complaints have been about is the perceived view that way to often it all becomes about doing anything to get a reset. That mentality makes for very crappy game play....unless, of course, resets are all you play for. :)

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »
What is this really going to accomplish?  What's the point?  I

Taking a stab here.

But.

Maybe they are having fun? The point of a Game is to have fun? 

'just sayin   :uhoh

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
I was almost gonna make a thread about this--specifically, noe's. People pay money for an ONLINE game, then expend no small amount of effort into making sure they take bases with no interaction whatsoever with said online enemies.... :confused:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
You must understand, people do not pay to play the game with other people.

They pay to *beat* other people at the game.

For some that is shooting down their fellow players in a2a combat or ground combat.

For some others...for some bizarre reason...that is "winning the war". Different things, same motivation.

I was almost gonna make a thread about this--specifically, noe's. People pay money for an ONLINE game, then expend no small amount of effort into making sure they take bases with no interaction whatsoever with said online enemies.... :confused:
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
Some one touched on it briefly but I'll go into a little more detail.  Furballing is more or less mindless. The only skills you need is gunnery and ACM and if your really great at gunnery, than you don't even really need the acm.  But to take bases requires a whole lot more than just shooting down airplanes. It requires strategy, both tactical and strategic, it requires some level of planning, coordination, teamwork and the management of your available assets.  It also requires the ability to adapt, improvise and overcome changes to the battle field when things don't go as planned especially when you're facing strong resistance either numerically and/or skillfully. Now keep this in mind when I talk about rhe things I mentioned above, I don't mean the 30-50 man hordes.  Anyone can take bases with those numbers.  I concider it comperable to playing chess.  It's not so much the act of shooting people down or blowing things up, it's the intellectual aspect that draws people to that aspect of the game and there are alot of people who really think that games like these are simulated wars as opposed to simulated combat or individual battles.  I hope this helps
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
 Furballing is more or less mindless. The only skills you need is gunnery and ACM and if your really great at gunnery, than you don't even really need the acm.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Yeah, gunnery and ACM...nothing to those. Nothing "chess-like" at all.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »
My beef is that most (nearly all) of the missions I run into show little or no ACM when forced to fight.  They break in and toss the furniture but can't put up a fistfight if you make it downstairs in time to catch em.  This is a calamity ESPECIALY given that their leaders have enough leverage on them to guide them to whatever means (topical websites, trainers, unofficial tutors, etc) available to push them further up the air COMBAT learning curve, and with some luck get them onto the self-sufficient learning phase.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »
You must understand, people do not pay to play the game with other people.

They pay to *beat* other people at the game.

For some that is shooting down their fellow players in a2a combat or ground combat.

For some others...for some bizarre reason...that is "winning the war". Different things, same motivation.

this by far is the most understandable reason i have heard to date, makes perfect sense to me.

I don't go for the land grab aspect of the game either but when it is put this way Iunderstand why people do it.

for others though I think what the OP was referring to was the 50 man NOE missions that run into bases and take them with little to no opposition. which as far as I am conerned the above explanation still works even if that type of play is not for me.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
.  This is a calamity ESPECIALY given that their leaders have enough leverage on them to guide them to whatever means (topical websites, trainers, unofficial tutors, etc) available to push them further up the air COMBAT learning curve, and with some luck get them onto the self-sufficient learning phase.

I've found that even the majority of those who actually like a2a seem to want to spend 100% of their AHII time actually playing, as opposed to practice and training, I guess I can't really blame them. Completely the opposite of how I like to allocate my time, but my mindset is uncommon I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:26:46 PM by BnZs »

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »
It is fun for one thing,I like running missions,my squad likes running missions,and ALL sides run missions..so it is fun for all who join a mission..

Ran a mission tonight that took 45 min to get to the base,and did not get it.wasnt fun being back in the tower though.. :lol

Their is planning going on behind the scenes when I am running missions by squaddies.It used to be lets take the base,now it is "Let's keep it also"..

It gets one tired,it can wear you down,but thats part of the game..Taking bases..I furball sometimes,but when on I usually like to run missions..it gets everyone together and firing on the same cylinders.If 15 join or 50 join,it is fun,and I am thinking it is fun for MANY others as the missions get joined by others..

Although I dont think I will EVER run missions on another New Years eve.. :D

I WANT to re-set the map,I guess that is my GOAL,as well as others who join missions..Missions are a means to an end..And in the end,whoever gets 40% of bases on both sides gets the reset..

I do not think it shallow running missions and taking land,any more than it is shallow always doing ONE part of a game that has many opportunitys for all to do something that they like..

Falcon23 :salute

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
I have a question for land grabbers and my intent isn't to judge your game play but merely understand your motives for it.  I'm just curious what motivates you to capture bases and try to win the war.  On these gigantic maps you can barely put a dent into any sides actual base numbers.  And after your efforts, you log off and go to sleep.  When you log back on the next day usually the map is entirely different than how you left it.  I'm also curious how many "War Victories" are actually achieved monthly on the large maps and if getting booted from an arena is really an award that makes it worth doing.

I've done the land grab thing before and it was definitely fun but I lost interest in it realllly quick because I finally just asked myself, why am I trying to capture this base?  What is this really going to accomplish?  What's the point?  If it's a way to create teamwork between you and your friends I can understand wanting to create that sense of teamwork because it makes the game more fun, but I've learned for me personally, there are much better ways to teamwork and have it be incredibly more satisfying.  Maybe some die hard land grabbers could explain their motives so I can better understand.

Why?  Because I can't think of a better way to start a riot than threatening the ownership of a base....and I like riots.

Bombs dropping, tanks firing, rockets whizzing by, tracer rounds all over, burning planes and blown up structures all in the same area.......whats not to like?

Pretty simple
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:31:23 PM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"