Author Topic: Wirbelwind under furballs  (Read 3540 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: Wirbelwind under furballs
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
Wow.... soooo ..... when did pointing out the obvious become trolling?

Bronk...Everytime I see a post by you a song always comes to mind.

A Trolling I will go.....A Trolling I will go.... HIIIIIIII HOOOOOOOOOO a cheeeeeeeeeeeeer    reeeeeeeeeeeeee OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
A trolling I will go.

Point out what you wish, your still trolling.  I see it and so does everyone else.   :salute

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
LMFAO this thread is funny. i spawn into A1 all the time with a WW and rack up the kills. best place on trinity to grab some kills in a WW. last tour i had about 400 kills in the WW. i would say 95% of those where from A1 on Trinity. LMFAO call me what you like a skilless dweeb ho dweeb noob i dont care its a load of fun to kill all them people there.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
Whats the difference between some punkstang diving in from 20k into a low furball and zooming back up to rinse and repeat and a Gv doing it from below?

Reversing and pwning them is entirely possible. You can't reverse a wirble.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2009, 04:57:48 AM »
Reversing and pwning them is entirely possible. You can't reverse a wirble.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Lets clear up something here right now. I've seen it posted several times. Rarely does a spawn go to within 2 miles of a base. It's more like 5 or 6 miles if not even further. I mean if it did then you would have DR7 grinning all day long. Heck I could make that shot given 40 or 50 tries.

If some one shoots me down in a werble I roll out a tiger and blast that sucker. No free lunch for you mister.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2009, 06:20:21 AM »

I've been shot down under the same conditions described in this thread, and yeah, it ticked me off at the time.
It all gets back to what, in my opinion, is an icon/viz issue:  The GV's can identify planes from 6.0K away, but the aircraft pilot doesn't get an ID on the GV til he's closed to within 1.5K (at least on my FE, and I've fiddled with the Short range vis, medium range, etc).  Which means, by the time I know the GV is there, it's probably too late for me....add in the fact that some of the guys in game are downright GREAT in GV's (LTAR's and others) and you basically have a dead pilot who didn't even know he was in trouble til it was too late.
Perhaps equalizing the icon range would help level the playing field?
I prefered the "old school" style of icons from a few years back....someone upped an Ostwind, once I got within 6.0K or so, he saw me, I saw him, and the duel was on.  Nowadays, even if I know a GV is out there, I have to get within killing range (read that he see me and opens fire at me) before I know where he is and then I have to evade and set up my attack run, lose sight of his icon, and try to reacquire him in time to get some shots off.
Current setup is tilted way towards GV'ers......not my cup of tea.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »
You know I truly can not believe how many people are missing one vital piece of information regarding Aces High.

"If you died, you made a mistake, somewhere"

Don't blame the other guy, don't blame the ho, the pick, the horde, blame yourself for putting yourself in that position.
Grab another plane or whatever and go try again.

A wirble can catch you by suprpise once. Shame on him.
After that if you die to him again, shame on you.

Last week I did exactly what so many of you are complaining about.

Took a wirble to a field, shot the same guy down 4 times in a row.
Got a p38 that upped to try to kill me. (came in too low, too straight)
Then Banshee7 upped an il2 and killed me. (took him a couple of passes)

I came back and banshee7 promptly nailed me again. 

A single wirble really isn't that hard to kill or damage.
B25H or iL2 can kill them at long ranges. Any fighter with a bomb if they fly smart.
Can come overhead at least 3k up, dive, drop and pull up while never getting in the wirbles range.

My mistakes in the above sorties, I should have been happy with 5 kills, and left, gone and hid in the trees sooner.
And once I knew banshee was up in an iL2, I never should have gone back again.

Yet did anyone hear me say ANYTHING to banshee other than a <S>?

Nope, I died, My mistake, shut up and go do something else.

Ohhh and just for the record, no I don't "grief" people on purpose.
However the fact is that some days I'm capable of flying,  and some days I'm not.
So on the off days I up an LVT4, or a Wirble and try to have a bit of fun.
You don't hear me whine or complain about it, I just do what I can do.
As do many many others.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Last week I did exactly what so many of you are complaining about.

Took a wirble to a field, shot the same guy down 4 times in a row.
Got a p38 that upped to try to kill me. (came in too low, too straight)
Then Banshee7 upped an il2 and killed me. (took him a couple of passes)

I came back and banshee7 promptly nailed me again. 

A single wirble really isn't that hard to kill or damage.
B25H or iL2 can kill them at long ranges. Any fighter with a bomb if they fly smart.
Can come overhead at least 3k up, dive, drop and pull up while never getting in the wirbles range.

My mistakes in the above sorties, I should have been happy with 5 kills, and left, gone and hid in the trees sooner.
And once I knew banshee was up in an iL2, I never should have gone back again.

Yet did anyone hear me say ANYTHING to banshee other than a <S>?

Nope, I died, My mistake, shut up and go do something else.

It's all in the technique  :D  I try to use the sun as much as possible.  If not that I do like Ghosth explains:  come in 3-4k, dive, drop bomb, pull up; this all takes place before a Wirble can accurately shoot at me.  Although in Ghosth's sorties I used the 37mm cannons but with the SAME process.  A couple of 37mm at long range to pop the Flaks turret (1.5-2k).  Once he's turreted, finish the job.

Wirbles don't bother me much, Ostwinds give me more of a shiver.  Not many people use the Osties anymore, those that do are either 1) Good in them 2) Don't know WTH they're doing.

And Ghosth is correct with this statement
A wirble can catch you by suprpise once. Shame on him.
After that if you die to him again, shame on you.

When you get killed you KNOW where the flak is located.  This is where you have options: 1) avoid the flak in your next sorties 2) kill the flak.  If you die while doing #1, it's your fault for having bad situational awareness.  If you die #2...well...it's still your fault  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »
B25H...can kill them at long ranges.

I disagree on this. The 25H uses a HE round. If your shot placement is REALLY good, or REALLY lucky you might take out his turret from long range, but you're not going to penetrate the hull armor outside a couple hundred yards.

At least not until HTC gives us our 5 AP rounds.  :pray
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:43:49 AM by Skuzzy »
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »
I was wondering how long it would take before someone started throwing around accusations hangars are dropped specifically for the purpose of spoiling other peoples' fun or because they're talentless and kept dying in the general fight outside a base targeted for capture.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »
I was wondering how long it would take before someone started throwing around accusations hangars are dropped specifically for the purpose of spoiling other peoples' fun or because they're talentless and kept dying in the general fight outside a base targeted for capture.

its not an accusation, its a fact.

they drop the hangers and dont try to take the base, well why did they drop the hangers then? simple to put an end to the ability of those that are fighting them to up from there. this generally ends the fight until others come in from long distance bases.

i say screw that and just up WW and continue to play. dont like it dont drop the FH's.
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
I disagree on this. The 25H uses a HE round. If your shot placement is REALLY good, or REALLY lucky you might take out his turret from long range, but you're not going to penetrate the hull armor outside a couple hundred yards.

At least not until HTC gives us our 5 AP rounds.  :pray
From a slight down angle, a hit to the thin armor on the top of the tank (a likely occurrance given the trajectory of fire from 3K out) will penetrate and kill the tank.

And even if it is "only" the turret you kill -- a turretted WW is generally a towering-out WW, so the result is the same.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:27 AM »
From a slight down angle, a hit to the thin armor on the top of the tank (a likely occurrance given the trajectory of fire from 3K out) will penetrate and kill the tank.

And even if it is "only" the turret you kill -- a turretted WW is generally a towering-out WW, so the result is the same.

Thanks for answering before me...saved me the typing  :aok.  YES, you can kill a wirble long range in a B25H, as well as tanks like Panzers. 
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:56 AM »
its not an accusation, its a fact.

they drop the hangers and dont try to take the base, well why did they drop the hangers then? simple to put an end to the ability of those that are fighting them to up from there. this generally ends the fight until others come in from long distance bases.

i say screw that and just up WW and continue to play. dont like it dont drop the FH's.

But I've also seen it where the hangars are dropped and the base capture simply fails. It wasn't for a lack of effort or intent, but a building up in town, a bailed pilot in the map room shoots a troop, a lone LA in the last couple air cons breaks away and gets the Goon, (or the fighters on mop-up duty just simply don't have sufficient control of airspace to GET one in there) a GV no one accounted for, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

I don't deny that there ARE some guys who take down hangars to be griefers, but to make it a blanket statement that that's the only reason its done is ludicrously flawed.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
But I've also seen it where the hangars are dropped and the base capture simply fails. It wasn't for a lack of effort or intent, but a building up in town, a bailed pilot in the map room shoots a troop, a lone LA in the last couple air cons breaks away and gets the Goon, (or the fighters on mop-up duty just simply don't have sufficient control of airspace to GET one in there) a GV no one accounted for, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

I don't deny that there ARE some guys who take down hangars to be griefers, but to make it a blanket statement that that's the only reason its done is ludicrously flawed.

but use of a WW in any circumstances to defend a base is acceptable, so that was obviously not my point.

if you are "spawning" away from your base/town then you are not really defending your base, you are out looking for the fight or your taking the fight to the enemy. not really a tactic the individual WW is suited for.

the OP was talking about spawning or showing up under furballs with the implication that attacking the furballers was the intended strategy not a base capture/defense. this is what sets the scenarios apart from each other.

if i can keep upping planes into the fight and its not a high vulch or high risk of losing the base environment, then i will preffer to up a plane. but if i think i can break a cap or better defend a base under those circumstances by upping any GV then i will. but if someone drops the FH and i can get back to the Furball by using a GV, then im here to play so thats what im gonna do.

Sax, it really boils down to if the FH are up and the base isnt being vulched then it is less likely people will rol GV's to a furball, most will jump into a A/C and go ho and pick instead :)

FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy