Author Topic: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
Posting this here after remarking on the thread about Wirbleweasels under furballs on the main board.

Over 3500 M16 MGMCs were produced by the US during WWII. That's 35 times the number of Wirblewinds, and as much as 70 times the number of Ostwinds. Yet especially since the WW arrived, the M16 has virtually disappeared from use.

Perk the WW and Ostie. There's already been precedents set towards perking aircraft on rarity, and the effectiveness of the WW has proven its performance warrants it.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »

Perk the WW and Ostie. There's already been precedents set towards perking aircraft on rarity

A way which, if it ever really existed at all, has been abandoned when the TA-152 was unperked despite it's incredibly rarity.

Also I very much dispute the effectiveness of the Ostie and to some extend, the Wirbel too.
They are helpless vs any tank, and completely uneffective if the enemy aircraft doesn't play their game. that is: staying away and dropping a bomb from altitude.
And you really can't put the Ostwind in the same league as the Wirbel.

However, I am very much for a considerable reduction of Wirbel's ENY for various reasons.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:21:44 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
Keep them unperked but make the wirbels ENY 5. IMO the wirbles guns are way to accurate. Set up a target and fire the osti at it. Its dispersion is big and its a single 37mm with a pretty slow rof. Do the same thing with the wirbel and watch how tight the dispersion is with four 20mms with high rof. I think that much fire power would make the wirbel parts shake and make aiming it a little more difficult then it is now.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
Saxman, you make a valid point with the numbers, so how about this. Limit the number of WW, and Osties in an arena based on player numbers?  Not sure if it would even be possible, but just a passing thought. Could even limit the numbers that up from a given base.

MW for example, limit number of uppers to 2 of each from each base, heck I would even like to see the tiger fall under that rule in MW. As I said just a thought.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »
Saxman, you make a valid point with the numbers, so how about this. Limit the number of WW, and Osties in an arena based on player numbers?  Not sure if it would even be possible, but just a passing thought. Could even limit the numbers that up from a given base.

That would lead to many additional insults and infights on range vox & countrychannel. "N00bs" taking a GV getting yelled at for "wasting resources" - "Get out, you suck, Im better in this" and so on.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
I still think a perk of 5 would work. I mean seriously, guys that KNOW how to shoot and actually aim right HAVE the perks to get it. This also keeps the tards that are new and know nothing about them, OUT of them. It's easy to get 5 perks in a GV, tell them to go kill a town and you've got perks for a Wirble. This helps flyers know that mainly, the guys that are in them actually know how to use them.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
If there were a way to code it:

Make it so the wirbel costs perks when you spawn it, but it's free at your own base.  As the anti-vulching vehicle extraordinaire, it has a legitimate place in the game... but for griefing air-air fights right next to the defender's base it is inappropriate.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
It's easy to get 5 perks in a GV

This also keeps the tards that are new and know nothing about them, OUT of them.

If its easy to get five perks then it wont stop people from using them. Perking them is dumb because Iv had the turret knocked out by a single .50 from a jeep. How would you like it if you were in a 262 or temp and got killed by a single .50 cal. I already know someone is going to say something about a pilot kill. Lets face it, aiming for or hitting something as small as a pilot that's going 400mph+ and something as big as the turret of the flacks that go 25mph are two different things.

Because they were so rare and because the wirble is used so much compared to the osti how about limiting the wirble to medium and large airfields?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
If the Whirbelwind is perked HTC should add a quad 20mm truck that is unperked.  The Germans used them in large numbers.  The only part of the Whirbelwind that is rare is the tank chasis and turret armor.  The guns are not.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
Seeing a quad 20mm on an unarmored truck would be a WELCOME change from the stampede of WWs. It wouldn't really be much different from taking on an M16 (I can just pop them from 3k out with the pumpkin chucker).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »
If the Whirbelwind is perked HTC should add a quad 20mm truck that is unperked.  The Germans used them in large numbers.  The only part of the Whirbelwind that is rare is the tank chasis and turret armor.  The guns are not.

I also like this idea.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
Hey, that's a pretty good idea :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »
5 eny on the ww and I'm good.

Slightly OT.
Lusche were you not stating some time ago you feel WW traverse speed is too fast?
See Rule #4

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »
A small perk is good i guess, the major problem with the WW is the fact you can spew a unlimited amount of spray into the air, have a jeep resupply you, and literaly fire for 5 minutes or more.

What the thing needs is a "brake" inbetween the clips that held the 20mm rounds, it was not belt fed and as such should not fire all 3200 rounds 24/7 none stop, that is insanely dumb.

Heck if it has even a 1-2 second reload between burst's that will limit its effectiveness, make it historic and force a not needed perk system to it. :Edit: Altho i now question how many 20mm each clip held.

Yeah, this is going to happen.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:58:43 PM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
A small perk is good i guess, the major problem with the WW is the fact you can spew a unlimited amount of spray into the air, have a jeep resupply you, and literaly fire for 5 minutes or more.

What the thing needs is a "brake" inbetween the clips that held the 20mm rounds, it was not belt fed and as such should not fire all 3200 rounds 24/7 none stop, that is insanely dumb.

Heck if it has even a 1-2 second reload between burst's that will limit its effectiveness, make it historic and force a not needed perk system to it.

Yeah, this is going to happen.  :rolleyes:
that is a very good idea because each gun would have had 4 20mm clips per gun
snowey flying since tour 78