Author Topic: Canadians! Your choice for RCAF markings?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Canadians! Your choice for RCAF markings?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
Well those dead hookers in Vancouver have been explained anyway.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
Nashwan can you kindly explain your post?
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

eye

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
Well we might of needed help lol but ill put Beurling up against bong/mcguire etc. I know Canada had a better ace. We also flew better planes. Stick that in you pipe and smoke it

eye

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
One more thing whos got the top aces in ah? I bet if we canadians are not number one were two at the very worst! Well thats another topic  

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
Take it easy Eye. Don't let the "Zebco 202" post get ya.

I guess knowing the FDB's are full of Canadians might help the inside joke.

rfa

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »
Funked, to answer your question:

Most allied pilots represented Italian kills on their aircraft as little Italian AF insignia.  Basically, what you see on the wing of that Italian fighter GATT put in his post is what you would put on your spitfire.   Italian flags were never used to represent victories over Italian fighters.

...and to get back on topic, "Buzz" had quite a lot of Italian kills, yet he only put crosses on his Spitfire - Interesting sidenote.  Also, a very good book about the fighting over Malta is "Malta: The Spitfire Year 1942".

Cheers,

----------------------------------
S/L rf-a
No. 303 (Polish) Sqn
"Northolt Wing"

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »
Gatt I'm sorry I should have made it clear I was refering to Creamo's post  

eye

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2000, 11:53:00 PM »
Aw im taking it easy <S> to all good posts was fun

funked

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2000, 03:34:00 AM »
Thanks RF-A.  That symbol is kind hard to fit in a 6 x 6 bitmap.  I'm sticking with the Italian flag heheeh.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Funked, you should use one of these (but at 6x6 they are unreadable indeed):

Anyway, if you leave the italian flags on your Spitfire it seems you have shot down 3 Alitalia Boeing 747 liners  

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 06-14-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

rfa

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
HERE YOU GO FUNKED:

----------------------------
S/L rf-a,
No. 303 (Polish) Sqn
"Northolt Wing"

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
EYE,

Some more things: First of all you have his method dead right- only attack from advantage and make every shot count. Oh, and only attack the best target as well, even if that is the one straggling off from the others!

His dislike of command had nothing to do with religion either, lump that in with the drinking or the french canadian theme. Bollocks. In reality he was an incredibly emotionally insecure person. That was WHY he was a loner, he couldn't understand or get along with people. That and he probably had a suspicion they were promoting him to get him out of a cockpit.

And yes- he inspected his guns every time he flew...  he was always suspicous of the gunnery officers tampering with them or making mistakes loading them.

As for his 190 trick- he was not tail end charlie, they gave him a wingman when he flew in england. He left his wingman to kill that plane. This also BTW NO indication of the skill of the pilots in that squadron. They were trained and skilled in flying as a team. They did VERY well at this and for themselves in 1 on 1's too. Also For the record..  sailor was 2x the pilot buerling was, he was good at lone wolf AND team fighting. And knew the place to do both.

funked

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the markings guys.  It looks like I will have to scale up the plane images in order to have a legible Italian kill markings.  the price one pays for historical accuracy!

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 06-14-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2000, 12:54:00 AM »
I dont know. Lot of those guys never flew in a situation anything like malta. To say Malan was twice the pilot beurling was...Dont think so.
You are pretty hard on him I think. He had been given good reason not to trust wingmen and flight leaders in his first experiances on the channel coast. After you have had that happen you tend to rely on yourself.
Canada and the western allies had the luzury of not needing killing machines like Buzz. Hey they buz the mess in  a tiger moth..cant have that. The US  let its top P38 pilots cruise the solomons looking for a few more kills. The canadians could not think what to do with buzz. Better a disgraced war hero then a dead one I guess.

eye

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2000, 02:33:00 AM »
Godefroy was jumped and formations he was in were slaughtered early in his carrier. Only some good flying got him home. 403 was in a extreme state of flux at the time buzz was sent there. 412 was in even worse shape. This lead to a extreme focus on formation flying on his part. Also it lead to unimaginative timid formations. This was also the case of raf squads too at that time. Godefroy was pissed at Beurling because he fliped over regularly and searched below. Know why? because a less talentied pilot might do it. lol what a joke! Beurlings tactics at malta would not work over europe but his eyesight would so would his good shooting and they did. Flying as part of timid formations that did not want to engage he still got two . You know what else he rarly saw a german fighter at that time. He still got two. The germans were worrying about the us guys further inland. You say nothing about a guy who puts the best guy in the raf/rcaf in the tail end charlie position ? What a joke. Godefroy did that simply to save his own hide. Unlike Beurling who engaged the enemy he was scared to death. He thought it would be better to sacrafice the best to save his own or any of the other piss poor fliers butts first. What a joke! The guy disliked him saw him as a threat to his power and tried to kill him. Great leader eh? Rember those who survive write the history or rewrite it. Godefroy and others have had over 50 years to say they were in the right. To smear him. The focus is always on he lost wingman what a joke. I bet if you counted the number of missions at malta countering formations of 8 to 1 you would see he lost 3 or 4 vs 27kills 9 probable kills 3 dammaged. Thats great in my book. How many did he save from the germans one or two times before they died? Why did the wingman not stick closer. Do they get no credit for there own deaths? He was good but not superman. Beurling when first at malta was not a ace he developed there. Others didnt and died. Yet he must take credit for there deaths that BS. Fact is he was brave and never shirked the responsiblity of faceing the enemy. You can say he was imature on the ground but in the air the guys who have ripped him for 50 years were the imature ones. Unimaginative and less skilled too. Btw you fail to even mention the last part of his tenure with 249 where he flew with heyslin <-- spelling mistake. Now there was a team him and beurling. Every one forgets that when he arrived they fought 2 man tactics and saved each others butts many times. Flying as a team. Two fighters of equal ability. To say the fact he was a french canadian or a not drinker leading to him being ostracized is simply wrong. Reread your stuff about him you will see that this in fact was the case. Also you fail to realize how he helped new pilots. He would help any new guy. He may have been short on chat but shop talk on airfighting was something he always did. You think this saved as many lives as he lost wingman at malta? I do. What about gunnery instruction? You know mcleod was helped by him. What about all the other guys ? you think that didnt save guys lives? You see that old wingman bs is the bollocks. He saved far more lives than he ever lost. In my book hes in a +catigory in lives saved vs wingman lost. Fact is he wasent your ordinary guy. In the air or on the groung. Like i said he is a riddle. I have never read something on him that got across what he was realy like. He was a enigma. One more thing he suffers from the same thing that Bong does. He was the best guys take shots at him. Like Bong hes not alive to say his side. Guys say bong wasent a leaded or as good as mcguire lol what bs. Same thing happens to screwball all the time. Guys who wish they were the best takeing shots at him. P.S. The most satisfying part of this whole story to me is that old Godefroy is only known in the context of G. F. Beurling. Most other than us have no idea who he was. In my opinion 50 years ago he realized this was going to be the case and hated him them for it. I guess 7 kills were not enough for the old M.D. lol