Author Topic: Canadians! Your choice for RCAF markings?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Canadians! Your choice for RCAF markings?
« on: June 03, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
What plane that hasn't been introduced to AH would you want to have RCAF marking?  Spit XIV?  Tempest? Hurri?  
ingame: Raz

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
I have a funny feeling  that the Lancaster will have Canuck markings.
But i would settle for a late model Seafire with Canadian markings http://www.navalmuseum.ab.ca/seafire.html  The Seafire MK XV Serial FZ 425

This plane is at my hometown hmm i must get off my duff and go see it.
Here is a mean beasty below for late model aircraft
Type: Seafire F Mk. 47
Function: fighter
Year: 1947 Crew: 1 Engines: 1 * 2350hp R.R. Griffon 88
Wing Span: 11.25m Length: 10.46m Height: 3.88m Wing Area: 22.63m2
Empty Weight: 3938kg Max.Weight: 5742kg
Speed: 727km/h Ceiling: 13135m Range: 1515km
Armament: 4*g20mm 3*b227kg

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2000, 12:03:00 PM »
IMHO the plane which absolutly HAS to have RCAF markings would be a Mosquito.
  Other than that nothing else is really as important except the Halifax. BTW baddawg the odds of a lancaster in RCAF paint is astronomical. All the most famous and active lancasters were British planes. Now the odds of a handley page Halifax in RCAF..  what else would you paint it??  

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2000, 12:00:00 AM »
Spit Vb.

------------------
"Stupids are like flies. they are everywere, but are easy to kill"
RAM

funked

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
Avro Arrow

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
Funked..
your lots of things.
But your not a Canadian.

------------------
RAM

funked

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
Hey I watched hockey last week, doesn't that count?

rfa

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2000, 02:18:00 AM »
As a one time member of No. 401 "Rams" Sqn in Warbirds, can I be a honorary Canadian?  Look, I can talk the talk - eh? eh? eh? claim a 109, eh?  Seriously, even though I am not a Canadian, I would love to see Screwball's Spitfire MkV from Malta.   (you know the ace I am talking about)

...or a 401 Sqn Mk14 that shot down the first ME262.

------------
S/L rf-a,
No. 303 (Polish) Sqn
Northolt Wing

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2000, 02:41:00 PM »
Maybe when we get a Spit Vc trop we will get  a Buerling spit.   But there are some pretty desert cam ones so the blue one might put people off.

------------------
RAM

eye

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2000, 12:47:00 AM »
I flew as beurling for 4 years in aw3. A mk v with call sign tz tan and brown. Btw that was a mk vc with 4 cannon. 2 were removed. Kh -b was his mk 9 in 403 30 kill on it. He was the best shot in the raf. If you read about him in malta you find he killed faster and in fewer missions than anyone in the allied camp. Im sure his k/mission would rank with most of the german greats. He is one of the most misunderstood aces in the raf mostly due to a hatchet job done in the book Buzz <the buzz beurling story> This was a guy who spent most of his time in his life trying to improve himself as a fighter pilot and did so with great success. RCAF marking on him would be great. If any of you want to read a good story about a allied ace check this guy out his tactics and gunnery ideas can help anyone in this game.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2000, 12:54:00 AM »
Oh I think they understood him alright.
The one I want is UF S (br301)a spit Vc with normal med paint but with the top colours painted over two tones of blue(med blue and a USN blue I think.) He scored his 13th kill in it

eye

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2000, 12:56:00 AM »
1 more thing there's a painting of him killing gelli at malta in a blue plane this is a artist's mistake. There were pru blue spits at malta but not with him flying those. Guys like warburton flew those. Ive read and checked lw records in my books on the days he encountered fights Beurling could of shot down 35 kill in total not the 31 1/3 hes often credited with. The 1/3 kill was one where he blew up a bomber after 2 attacks by his squadies in 249. He could of taken this kill too but gave 1/3 to his squadies.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2000, 02:21:00 AM »
Oh come now eye, he was canadian and I adore him..  but doing a hatchet job on him would be REAL hard. The guy was..  disturbed. I have a copy of his diaries and lemme just say he wasn't real normal.

BTW the odds of him "giving" a kill away would me microscopic. There was almost never anyone else around when he engaged. He has the record for the most lost wingmen in malta, for almost every 3rd sortie he flew his wingman was shot down because he just left the guy behind. It was irresponsible stuff like that that was why the Brit's didn't keep him and the yanks never gave him a shot.

My favorite anecdote has to be of how he got the name "screwball". He loved to call anything he despised a "screwball". one day in malta a pilot watched him throw a piece of rotten meat on the floor, wait several minutes until it was thick with flies then stomp on it. Then loudly exclaim "whoopee screwballs".

A great pilot, I think they should have just gave him a P51 and no wingman and asked him to be home by dinner every day. God only knows what he would have done!

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2000, 04:02:00 AM »
Funny you should say that Vermillion, I think he actually came up with a plan to fly small groups of P-51's around trying to stir trouble over Europe late in the war, but they wouldn't let him do it.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
Ya I think they understood him fine. But in an orginization where kills = rank he did not have the self esteem to take the rank.
Eveyone was loosing wingmen in Malta, but they did not hold it against them. His early experiance in the RAF taught him that the guy at the back of the formation is not that important.
I am just glad he was not captured. He was an awful good pilot and I dont think he was too picky where he flew.

------------------
RAM