Author Topic: This seems obvious to me  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: This seems obvious to me
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
First off, a lot of those concessions were made to make it possible for new people to get into the game and actually get up flying. My job as a trainer is complicated enough, no need to make it worse please.

Also,  Targetware has a lot of advanced engine management and realism.
Go log into a server there and see how many are online. Then log back into AH.
Seems pretty obvious that people are voting with their feet.

If HTC wanted to add a few touches that would reward players for advanced engine managment without penalizing those who don't, well yes I'd be interested. But thats a tough can of worms to open, and adds a whole lot of coad for not much playability.

There are a lot of things I'd love to see added to AH, most of those mentioned are pretty low on the list.
Better damage modeling, better gunnery ballistics modeling, Seaplanes and floatplanes and cockpits that open are just a few on the top of my list.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »
Also,  Targetware has a lot of advanced engine management and realism.
Go log into a server there and see how many are online. Then log back into AH.
Seems pretty obvious that people are voting with their feet.

Nice try.  I can log into hyperlobby right now and see more than 700 people playing IL-2 FB.  Not all of them are playing with complex engine management...maybe around 50%.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
So by making thing more difficult, and adding more realism, you believe that this will bring about better game play?  :huh

I think what it would do would be to empty the arenas and HTC's coffers. I want to fly and fight. I want people who will fight back. I don't want to have to spend half my time trying to keep my plane in the air only to see the first enemy I FINALLY find to seize his engine and go down with out firering a shot.

No the game is too difficult for many already, hence the problems of people looking for short cuts.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »
anytime someone brings up the game having too many crutches which makes it absurdly easy and gamy, the other side trhows in the MAXIMUM OPPOSITE possability "I dont want to spend 20 min doing preflight"  "my gun heater ans sight heaters!"  etc etc..  give me a break..

nobody is suggesting THAT level of involvement in the game.. that would be retarded (almost as much so as you insinuating that wanting that is what this thread is about)

simple stuff like SOMEWHAT realistic engine overheating..   some wind for gods sake..  

auto-combat trim???  leave it.. but CHANGE it so it is about 75% as effective as what you can get from manually trimming..  if you want to use the crutch and keep it on, fine.. but learning to manually trim pays big dividends.,.  currently auto combat trim will get about as much out of any plane as you could get by doing it yourself.. no reward for learning it manually, no penalty for having to use the crutch..   granted in SOME situations you can get a little extra out of a plane by manually trimming.. but not nearly enough to always use it for the most part.

fuel management.. same think.. leave the auto option available, but at reduced performance.. allow manual mixing for people to either get maximum performance.. or blow up their plane..  

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
anytime someone brings up the game having too many crutches which makes it absurdly easy and gamy, the other side trhows in the MAXIMUM OPPOSITE possability "I dont want to spend 20 min doing preflight"  "my gun heater ans sight heaters!"  etc etc..  give me a break..

nobody is suggesting THAT level of involvement in the game.. that would be retarded (almost as much so as you insinuating that wanting that is what this thread is about)

simple stuff like SOMEWHAT realistic engine overheating..   some wind for gods sake..  

auto-combat trim???  leave it.. but CHANGE it so it is about 75% as effective as what you can get from manually trimming..  if you want to use the crutch and keep it on, fine.. but learning to manually trim pays big dividends.,.  currently auto combat trim will get about as much out of any plane as you could get by doing it yourself.. no reward for learning it manually, no penalty for having to use the crutch..   granted in SOME situations you can get a little extra out of a plane by manually trimming.. but not nearly enough to always use it for the most part.

fuel management.. same think.. leave the auto option available, but at reduced performance.. allow manual mixing for people to either get maximum performance.. or blow up their plane..  

YES please... just like stall limiter...

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »

actually, in low speed stall fights, i've always felt that the auto trim fights against me....especially in the p38.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
actually, in low speed stall fights, i've always felt that the auto trim fights against me....especially in the p38.

granted in SOME situations you can get a little extra out of a plane by manually trimming.. but not nearly enough to always use it for the most part.

:aok

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
Just wanted to say lovely use of bullet points.

:lol

+1
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
I don't want to have to spend half my time trying to keep my plane in the air only to see the first enemy I FINALLY find to seize his engine and go down with out firering a shot.

Thank you wingnutt. :)  Fwiw, I'm yet to seize an engine in Il-2, but it is certainly advantageous not to fly around at 100% throttle because it keeps your engine cool for when you need to use it.  If only they had something like FSO...
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
My problem with it is it will only add complexity to those without gear.
On my set up with one button push I can do a string of commands. Click... AC is now set for combat.        

Now think about the poor guy with a 4 button 2 axis stick.
See Rule #4

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
The game dose have its ups and downs.  There are times i have a tought time of hitting anything and others that i am on fire.  Yes, i do hate it when these young, dumb kids "game the game" and have no understanding of the historic part of the plans.
The other day in AvA, a player asked if he was axis or allies.  I asked him what he is flying, "109" he responds.  I then ask, "And what coutry dose 109 represent during WWII"? He replyed, "Germany".  Here is your sing kid.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
On my set up with one button push I can do a string of commands. Click... AC is now set for combat.        

:rolleyes:

boohoo

nobody will penalized due to lack of buttons..   

besides, im sure the majority of folks who will have the will to learn and use the manual functions will be into the game enough to also have the gear needed to do so.. 

if nothing else, map it to the keyboard.. plenty of buttons.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
If I could learn all of the controls for Falcon 3.0 at age 14 with only a two button joystick, it can be done here.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »

My keyboard has almost 90 non-Windows related buttons.

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
I seem to remember in AW and AWIII there was an arena for "realistic" flight simulation where u had to adjust trim, flaps, and if you stalled you would fall out of the sky. Well short version is NOBODY flew in that arena because the reality of the matter is most people don't "really" know how to fly a cessna much less a super high performance WWII fighter plane. Hell half that crap you mentioned I didnt even know existed on these planes  :O But I guess that was what flight school was for. Unfortunately in this high speed world we live in everything is now instant gratification and the marketing folks at HTC have determined that easy mode makes more fiscal sense. Perhaps they can implement a mandatory "flight school" at the end of which you earn your pilots license and are allowed to play in the MA.  :D I see it now, the next plane introduced will be the A6 Texan

LTARogue

It was called "full realism" and lots of people flew there ...me included.  There was no trim controls.

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009