Author Topic: This seems obvious to me  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
This seems obvious to me
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
Aces High is primarily an air-combat game and not a flight simulation.  For all of the complaints about poor gameplay, part of the blame has to placed on the kind of customer base that shoot-em-up games attract versus true flight sims.

Let me list some of the easy-mode concessions that we have in AH:

• Combat trim
  • Aileron trim for aircraft that did not have it, e.g. a lot of Spitfire marks, 109, etc.
  • Ammunition counters
  • No mixture controls
  • No supercharger controls
  • No radiator/cowl flap controls for engine cooling
  • No engine overheats
  • Weak engine torque
  • 360 degree head swivel
  • Flaps auto retract when airspeed increases
  • No weather
  • Automatic bombsight calibration
  • GPS clipboard map

I'm sure all of you could expand on the list.  The thing is, AH would have been a flight sim if it had been introduced 20 years ago.  In fact, when I first tried Warbirds offline in 1996 it wasn't just an air-combat game; compared to the standard of the day it was a high fidelity air-combat flight simulation.  But AH is pretty much the same thing in a different sand-box, and 13 years have gone by...

We have all of these concessions so that it's not too hard for a new player to get in the air and enjoy the action, and so that more experienced players can also focus on the action and not on tinkering with their radiator flaps.  At least, that's the usual explanation for it.  But these concessions play right into the hands of the instant-gratification, never-read-the-manual crowd.

I have asked for high-fidelity engine controls in the wishlist and around 90% of you rejected it.  That's fine, but don't complain about the quake-style main arena gameplay in the next thread; since 90% of you complain about gameplay, I'm sure there's a big overlap. ;)

A lot would change if some of these easy-mode concessions were done away with (the GPS map would probably stay).  Learning to manage engine temperature would be the easy part, but combat tactics would have to change.  For instance, prolonged furballing on the deck at 180mph with WEP would require the full opening of radiator flaps, which would degrade performance.  Level bombing accuracy would decrease.  I don't think these changes would spell the end of air combat in AH, but they would require you to RTFM and put a little effort into learning to fly in order to succeed, and that would be better for gameplay. :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: This seems obvious to me
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Implementing the changes you desire would go against "90%" of the players' wishes, wouldn't it? It  seems pretty obvious that HTC doesn't have a large profit margin on this game. Losing hundreds of paying customers to satisfy someone that finds the game too easy is bad business. All the "lame game play" whines seem to go back for years. Now there are many more players so the whining is compounded. I think you are jaded. Maybe you should try a flight sim. Let us know how much fun it is adjusting your fuel mixture.  :salute
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »

I'm sure all of you could expand on the list. 

nah... You pointed out the chEASYness quite well, but you can't expect them to make it hard and chase all them 15 dollar bills away either.  An arena with easy mode turned off might get me interested again though.

:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »
I prefer to not have to worry about caging gyros, switching on gun heaters and gunsight heaters, setting cowl flaps, mixture and blowers before a dogfight because I prefer that HTC thrives and stays in business so we can continue to enjoy this game.

Offline LTARogue

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
I seem to remember in AW and AWIII there was an arena for "realistic" flight simulation where u had to adjust trim, flaps, and if you stalled you would fall out of the sky. Well short version is NOBODY flew in that arena because the reality of the matter is most people don't "really" know how to fly a cessna much less a super high performance WWII fighter plane. Hell half that crap you mentioned I didnt even know existed on these planes  :O But I guess that was what flight school was for. Unfortunately in this high speed world we live in everything is now instant gratification and the marketing folks at HTC have determined that easy mode makes more fiscal sense. Perhaps they can implement a mandatory "flight school" at the end of which you earn your pilots license and are allowed to play in the MA.  :D I see it now, the next plane introduced will be the A6 Texan

LTARogue

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
WB and Fighter Ace is basically the same as AHII regarding keeping up with things. So why change AHII and then, not get a SINGLE new player? Because they get frustrated with the flight modeling.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »
I agree with all the above.

Just wanted to say lovely use of bullet points.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
nevermind
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Do we get to do preflight checks and 20 min warm ups  also?  Because that is just what I've been waiting for.
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
WHAT'S THE FASTEST PLANE?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »
WHAT'S THE FASTEST PLANE?

Isn't it the Russian Altonov Alt-F4 ?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
Do we get to do preflight checks and 20 min warm ups  also?  Because that is just what I've been waiting for.

No straw-men bronk! <shakes finger>
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
No straw-men bronk! <shakes finger>
Hey you asked for less easy mode, no?
See Rule #4

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
personally, i never fly with combat trim on. it feels to me like it interferes more than it helps me. same with the stall limiter.

it's not really that hard to adjust it, and the plane performs much better.

as for all of the other controls? i wouldn't mind havikng the option to try it, but don't think i'd like it. i like the fight. i like getting into a 1-1 or a 1-2 or furballs.

the main fun in this sim is the fight..for whatever reason, be it attacking a base, defending a base, or just because there's other planes there to shoot at...

the bombing model....i've heard it used to be a different, harder calibration model. i sometimes wonder if we should go to that again, and if we should add some wind drift component. that would make it much more challenging.as it is now, a blind person not having a clue could hit just about anything from 25k alt.

as for the really hi fliers.....let em. i popped into lw last night for a couple flights. at 10k, i was way to low. at 15k same. at 25k i was coalt.....i hate taking the couple minutes to getto that alt, unless i'm bomber hunting.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »
. . . Perhaps they can implement a mandatory "flight school" at the end of which you earn your pilots license and are allowed to play in the MA.  :D I see it now, the next plane introduced will be the A6 Texan

LTARogue

IIRC, didn't student pilots in WWII start off in PT-17 Stearmans or BT-13's?  I think the A6 was the last step before actually going to fighters.  It would be kind of fun to have the training a/c to just put-put around in - similair to the RV-8.