Author Topic: I love the Pony... but...  (Read 3812 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: I love the Pony... but...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
If you are good at deflection shooting and shooting at moderate to long ranges, the Pony's views plus adequately powerful and very accurate guns make it easy to get lots of kills.

If you are a poor shot, you are better off in an airplane that turns better (for saddling up and following them around abit while shooting) and has cannons for greater short burst lethality, which you you can use to take advantage of brief but very close range gun solutions. Its hard to miss when they fill the windscreen.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline DangerousGame

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
   I cant say I don't bnz in my Pony's B or D if I'm going 300 and your not I'm probably going to shoot you anyway but that's not My preferred method of combat how I fly my birds depends on what My SA or mood is at the time but turn fighting anything in the weeds or stall fighting a U4, K4 or 47 is my FAV. and it dose get me killed once in a wile but usually not by the guy or guys I'm fighting, I spend allot of time washing  grass stains off the bottom of my wing tips, the stall warning screaming and fly out of the pony's envelope, some of guys will say that's stupid, maybe but you cant say its not a rush....   
DG51 =Pony Express=

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »
The problem with most players that fly the P-51 is that they don't know how to BnZ properly.  Most think BnZ means to make a high speed pass and then 'extend' half a sector away, rinse, wash and repeat.  BnZ is a very aggressive tactic, it has to be in order to achieve its aim of setting up an angle for the kill.  If you extend beyond d2.0 all you do is give the target a change to reclaim whatever energy was lost in breaking to avoid the attack and gain a little bit of the altitude that was also lost.

The goal of the BnZ attack is to force your opponent to bleed his energy so that he can't maneuver sufficiently to avoid your next BnZ pass.  You do this by keeping the pressure on, not letting the target regain his energy or altitude.  You'll see the good, aggressive P-51 drivers 'tap dance' on the head of the target before they go for the kill shot. 

BnZ properly done is hardly the timid tactic the majority seem to think it is.  It only become a timid tactic at the hands of a timid pilot.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
The goal of the BnZ attack is to force your opponent to bleed his energy so that he can't maneuver sufficiently to avoid your next BnZ pass.  You do this by keeping the pressure on, not letting the target regain his energy or altitude.  You'll see the good, aggressive P-51 drivers 'tap dance' on the head of the target before they go for the kill shot. 

That's a good analysis.  It's almost to say that Boom n' Zoom is a total misnomer.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »

ack-ack

This is fun.. fun to push them down to the deck where all they are left with is basically flat turns. Problem is, during busy times in the MA, it's hard to get enough time to play with your food like this so I end up just dispatching them immediately.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

This is fun.. fun to push them down to the deck where all they are left with is basically flat turns. Problem is, during busy times in the MA, it's hard to get enough time to play with your food like this so I end up just dispatching them immediately.

It's a frustrating thing if you get caught by someone that knows how to BnZ and they do just that, force you to the deck and there is really nothing you can do about it.  The only thing you can hope for is for the guy to mess up somehow and get lucky with an overshoot but, like I said, if the guy knows what he's doing, not very likely he's going to make a mistake you can capitalize on.

ack-ack

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
I honestly usually find myself turning on the deck when in a Pony. Not like full flaps or anything, but I get to slower speeds, and use the Pony's advantages over other planes to mine. It's great when you're making high speed turns especially.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
It's a frustrating thing if you get caught by someone that knows how to BnZ and they do just that, force you to the deck and there is really nothing you can do about it.  The only thing you can hope for is for the guy to mess up somehow and get lucky with an overshoot but, like I said, if the guy knows what he's doing, not very likely he's going to make a mistake you can capitalize on.

ack-ack

Well, I know you can do it, you've caught me on the way up a time or two. lol

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
The Yak9U is a great training plane for the pony in my opinion. :aok
Strokes

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
The Yak9U is a great training plane for the pony in my opinion. :aok

9U is a pony killer.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
9U is a great plane, great acceleration to catch BnZ planes zooming up off guard. Been flying it almost exclusively lately, and loving it. Great climb, acceleration, speed, and manueverability in general.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »
The number one problem in the MA is that you will never find the fight you want or if you do it will be rare that some noob doesnt come along and pick at the fight. I finally ended the streak I was on yesterday so today I was relaxing and just having fun with my squadies and I was amazed at some of the antics of cons and friendlies alike. I gave one of my squadies a good chewing out for shooting a con I had just killed and then saw another bish do the same thing. Not two minutes later a knit shot one of my kills so I shot him too.

I find the P51 is amazing when its light. For some reason if I fly it heavy and then get light it just doesnt feel the same anymore. The first time you are low E and point the nose straight up it all changes and you start to get into the mood of fighting and then its all over way too soon. Against a single con a pony that isnt afraid to mix it up scares people. Against multiple cons the cons will start to get stupid really quick but if not everyone is in the mix the 51 will get picked because its easy meat.

Best advice infowars is to hunt up a pony pilot that is dedicated to it and ride his wing. Dont try to protect him just stick to him like glue. The best wingman I ever had could follow me through the hottest spot on earth and stick to my wing the whole time. Eventually the methods will come to you and then you will start to have fun in the best ride in the game.

:salute
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 05:04:18 AM »
I can't seem to get consistant kills in it...  I get plenty of alt and speed before I enter a fight but still can't capitalize.  I think every one has caught on to the whole bnz thing.  All they need to do is a little sweep either direction and I over shoot.  Or I'll burn all my E trying to saddle up then I get picked...  Hmmm...

So I have been flying the Yak-9U.  Gosh I love this plane.  Not much ammo but it forces me get close.  It turns well and goes fast.  I feel like I am cheating on my pony though... 

Any thoughts...?

I don't fly the pony but I know theres plenty of guys I have come across that can give a great fight in it beyond BnZ there is no magic answer just get better at fighting in it, its the pilot that counts not the plane.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:35 AM »
That's a good analysis.  It's almost to say that Boom n' Zoom is a total misnomer.

In away, Boom 'n Zoom is a total misnomer because the masses have misinterpreted what Zoom means.  The Zoom refers to 'zooming out of guns range' of the target, not 'zooming half a sector away and only to come back and engage when the target is engaged with another plane and picking it'.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 05:15:44 AM »
Well, I know you can do it, you've caught me on the way up a time or two. lol

Only because you became impatient after a few passes and tried to force a quick kill on a deflection shot.  That's really my only hope, if the attacker makes a mistake like that.

ack-ack