Author Topic: English Tanks  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: English Tanks
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
Be interesting to see if the higher firing rate of the Cromwell's OQF 75 can compensate for it's sub-par AP round. Probably not the best to engage other tanks with, but could be effective defending town against a swarm of Flaks and M3's.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Yeah, but which one Larry?

1) M3 Grant => Straight to the hanger
2) Stuarts might be fun, but they'd probably get slaughtered.
3) Firefly's are cheap, so why would anybody want a plain-jane M4
4) American TD's would stay chronically turreted by aircraft. (unless HTC adds the folding roof, which still wouldn't stop aircraft AP rounds)
5) And no way are we going to see the M26 until a bunch of other tanks are added first.

So which one would you add?

Personally, I think the Panther is coming next, but at a high perk cost)

I agree but the perked thing is rather stupid. If you pay your money then you should be able to up anything at anytime.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
You said it in a nice way........

Yes, they are.

wrongway

We already have the standard English tank.... It's called the M4....... Our FireFly, or the other two variants the Brits had.  Over 17,000 of them in fact. 

There is a reason they stopped making their own!

(Yes, a small smack to the Brits, but done with humor in mind)
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »

We already have the standard English tank.... It's called the M4....... Our FireFly, or the other two variants the Brits had.  Over 17,000 of them in fact. 

There is a reason they stopped making their own!

(Yes, a small smack to the Brits, but done with humor in mind)
Plenty of Brit tanks. Most dismal for sure, but they were taking notes. Comet is nothing laugh at. And Centurion (a post-war tank) was a class-act all around. :aok

A bit off-topic, but it's interesting to note the post-war lessons learned by England and Germany concerning tank design. During the war, English tanks (add the Sherman in there) tended to be lighter and more mobile, but more vulnerable. German tanks on the other hand, became increasingly more massive with huge forepower, but at a big cost in mobility. Apparently, both countries appreciated the benefits of the other's designs, so that by the 60's they both produced new MBTs who's design philosophies were completely opposite to their WW II thinking.

The Brits produced Chieftain, a massive brute of a tank, where survivability and firepower were definitely given priority over mobility.

The Germans, on the the other hand, created Leopard, a tank with good firepower, but excellent mobility.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »

No really! thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

On a different note anyone have a good WW2 armour website! Panther would be nice, but I'm looking for non German armour.

Saw the Soviet Ford model T with the aniti AA on the back that would be hilarious. Just kiddin Thanks  :salute
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:56:00 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »
I think a regular M4 would be nice. Sure some people wont drive it because of the M4/FF but you still see the M8, Pnzr, and T34/76s running around, and I think a lot of people would still drive it like those tanks. And lets not forget that it would play a huge roll in MW, AvA, and SEAs.

The M8's and T-34's are fast, plus it's harder to kill T-34's from the air than a panzr and a T-34 can take field and town ack better. The pnzr's gun is capable of killing a Tiger ( at least in here), so those are being used for reasons that I do not believe a standard M4 would.

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »
What about a Japanese tank built out of cardboard?

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »
Personally, I think the Panther is coming next, but at a high perk cost)
If only the Germans had made better suspension, they couldn't hold so much weight, so it was and had to be reduced speed; you'd still have to add the other gears, obviously you'd drive at the lower gears and if you tried the high gear they would cause your suspension to brake in almost no time.

It should be perked a bit more than the Tiger, otherwise, its a waste of perks.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:21 AM »
If only the Germans had made better suspension, they couldn't hold so much weight, so it was and had to be reduced speed; you'd still have to add the other gears, obviously you'd drive at the lower gears and if you tried the high gear they would cause your suspension to brake in almost no time.

It should be perked a bit more than the Tiger, otherwise, its a waste of perks.

-FYB

You joking right? The Panther's suspension was one of the best of WW2. Yes it was complicated but it offered a much smoother ride and a better platform to shoot on the move because of it. The Panther was the first tank to be able to spin on a dime because it's tracks could be operated simultaneously and independent from one another. Anything complicated required more maintenance compaired to a much simpler design like the Sherman. The D model's transmission was weak and prone to breaking down but later German tank drivers avoided the type of driving that cause alot of these breakdowns. The Panther was on the cutting edge of tank design in all aspects  and was rushed into service before any serious testing could be done. I get tired of hearing about the so called reliability factor regarding the Panther, by the G model it was everything it was designed for and proved it time and time again.

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »

You joking right? The Panther's suspension was one of the best of WW2. Yes it was complicated but it offered a much smoother ride and a better platform to shoot on the move because of it. The Panther was the first tank to be able to spin on a dime because it's tracks could be operated simultaneously and independent from one another. Anything complicated required more maintenance compaired to a much simpler design like the Sherman. The D model's transmission was weak and prone to breaking down but later German tank drivers avoided the type of driving that cause alot of these breakdowns. The Panther was on the cutting edge of tank design in all aspects  and was rushed into service before any serious testing could be done. I get tired of hearing about the so called reliability factor regarding the Panther, by the G model it was everything it was designed for and proved it time and time again.

I couldn't have said it better. Experienced tank crews never drove it all out in final gear and the high command even issued an order to drive it below its maximum speed by about 11kph. The panther had a turning or pivot radius of slightly over 4 metres. The M4A4 was over 20metres...
The only bad thing one could say about the panthers suspension was that it didn't allow for a bottom escape hatch due to double torsion bar.

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 12:36:27 PM »
I'd rather Hitech spend time on adding this:

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
What about a Japanese tank built out of cardboard?
Make that wet cardboard.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »
Matilda
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
Matilda
For what? Racing to the map room at 6mph?

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
i think the cromwell is the most realistic.