Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
I would turn them off, being a Firefighter I don't really care much for the "Name in Lights" gig. Every kill I get, which isn't usually many anyway, is for the squad or country  ;)
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
how about one step further and remove the scoring system all together

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
I dont know if you guys noticed, but if you land 10 feet to the left of the runway you get a ditch, which is the same as landing without name in lights.  It doesnt effect your k/d ratio, and seems realistic for making it home successfully. :rolleyes:

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Better yet, allow each person to enable or disable their landing/kill messages.

I'd turn mine off in a heartbeat...

I dont know if you guys noticed, but if you land 10 feet to the left of the runway you get a ditch, which is the same as landing without name in lights.  It doesnt effect your k/d ratio, and seems realistic for making it home successfully.

Interesting you say that, I've done that a lot.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Carbine

• Zinc Member
All glory is fleeting & everybody has thier 15 seconds of fame, who is gonna care or remember tomorrow?
Only you  :salute

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
I'd prefer it be raised to five kills.  That's what the most world militarys require you to have before you're considered an Ace anyway.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
I'm not all all in favor of that, I feel that many will fly more timid to make it to 5 consistently each sortie.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Guyver

• Copper Member
thats one thing i dont really care about. i fly for fun and also to help take bases or defend them.

tbh i fly cus i love my spit.

score means nothing. wining the battle means all
Per Mare Per Terram

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
I'd for sure try it with it off. I"m doing it for my satisfaction, has nothing to do with attaboys or <S> from anyone else.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
thats one thing i dont really care about. i fly for fun and also to help take bases or defend them.

tbh i fly cus i love my spit.

score means nothing. wining the battle means all

score means nothing,  winning the battle means nothing aswell,

flying with fellow brits and overcoming the enemy whilst having great banter,  means everything IMO   :aok.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline malpeake

• Zinc Member
What is this kills landed message? Oh you mean when i get "You were shot down by XXXXXX"  :rofl

I fly Spits because I'm a Brit, It's in our DNA to fly Spits. :D

Malap.
I fly Spits because I'm  Brit, It's in our DNA to fly Spits.

Mal.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
I'd leave them on.  I like seeing my name in lights.  It's so rare that it happens.  It wouldn't change my flying style any.  I'd still hit a tree as often as possible.

However, I do land without kills as often as I do with kills.  The whole "immersion" thing.  If I run out of ammo, have a fuel leak, didn't find any fights where I chose to take off, I will still try to land if I don't feel pressed to be somewhere else.  Conversely, I will also bail if I feel the need to answer an "alert 28" call.

My name in lights is not my motivation for landing.  I like to pretend that I can "live to fight another day."

The opposite side of this coin would be a "bomb and bail" pilot.  If your name isn't going to be in lights or your goal is to do damage and get back as soon as possible to take advantage of the no ammo or no VH you have just wrought then bailing without damage or without fighting is legitimate in your eyes.  "Your" being the person who does this.  The closest you can get to being a kamikaze.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
how about one step further and remove the scoring system all together

I'd rather see this implemented.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
I land so kills so rarely that having my name show gives my ego a little boost.  I don't expect or receive attaboys, but I will pat myself on the back from time to time.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
I so very rarely make it home that it matters little to me...  I just can't stay away from those red guys! :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!