Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 8031 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
not really bothered either way, although its a bit embarassing landing a bunch, getting wtgs and then feeling obliged to explain they were all proxies or lvts...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
I think I'd turn them on or off given the circumstances.  

There's been an occasion or 2 when I'm defending a fleet with 5" that I'd like to be able to turn the message off.  

The biggest drawback to being given the ability to turn the message off is that when anybody does land 'only' 2 kills in an LA-7 or Spit 16, they're going be given grief for being so lame to allow the message to be displayed.

Just more flaming drivel for the text buffers.

I think the 'name in lights' needs to remain. It's still neat to be part of a squad landing all at once.. and seeing the same of other squads.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
I think the 'name in lights' needs to remain. It's still neat to be part of a squad landing all at once.. and seeing the same of other squads.

agree, always good to see any squad (friendly or nme) land kills together :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Honestly i love getting my name in the lights, how many other people you see landing a 100 at a time? ;)Noobs

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
I would absolutely turn them off. One thing I can't stand seeing is 15 guys giving "wtg's" for someone "landing" TWO friggen kills.

Whoooooooopie! :rofl

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Perhaps it should be changed to how many perk points you earned instead of kills.    :lol
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
The scoring system is a part of the game that most players enjoy, whether some like it or not. It's a way of benchmarking yourself against others. I do admit it affects some players more than it should, but that is their mistake.

I personally like tracking squad mate activity by checking their kill numbers, k/d ratios and time spent in the air. It provides a way to check player behavior, and still be in touch with your squad while your taking a break from the game.

Who doesn't enjoy looking at statistics anyway?
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
I would absolutely turn them off. One thing I can't stand seeing is 15 guys giving "wtg's" for someone "landing" TWO friggen kills.

Whoooooooopie! :rofl

Hmm.
Those WTG's for two 'friggin' kills could have been very well deserved.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
One thing I can't stand seeing is 15 guys giving "wtg's" for someone "landing" TWO friggen kills.

Maybe it's a new player who's making an effort to learn to fly and fight properly and that's the first time he's ever landed 2 kills without HOing, spawn camping, etc. Why does it bother you if he gets a pat on the back?

I'd leave it on, but it doesn't make much difference to me. It really doesn't motivate me, and to be honest I don't pay much attention to it. K/d ratio is the only stat I really care about, and that only in fighters (although I do wish they'd separate tanks from other GVs). It's the only real benchmark I have to go on, and it provides a motivation not to just bail as soon as I've dropped ords, run out of ammo, been damaged badly, or what have you. That just seems weak to me unless there's a good reason for it.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
I think the scoring takes away from the game, but on second thought it might be the only reason some people play. What I mean by it taking away from the game is, I think there or a lot of good player's out there that won't put there score in jeopardy to help take a base for there country. And the one thing that drew me to this game was the simulated group combat with a goal in mind, when in actuality I found that in many cases the game is played on a more personal bases. So I think the scoring system in one respect hurts the game in general.....
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Maybe it's a new player who's making an effort to learn to fly and fight properly and that's the first time he's ever landed 2 kills without HOing, spawn camping, etc. Why does it bother you if he gets a pat on the back?

(raises hand, waves it back and forth vigorously)

I can answer that!  I can answer that!

Many people believe that the Quest for Adoration encourages bad behavior, and in particular ganging, vulching and running.  There is no way to tell whether it's someone who, for the first time ever, landed two kills without HOing, spawn camping &c., or whether he landed 2 kills that were both vulches or picks.

- oldman (sits down)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
I think a lot could be done WITH the scoring. They could use scoring to adjust how people play in the arenas very easily. Most say they done care about the score, but the majority of those really do care.

Bombers, if you bail/ditch you get one tenth of your points, you get killed you get seven tenths, you land you get full points. End result is more buffs would fight and try to return to base.

Fighters, same points whether you bail, die, or land, but you get a multiplier for number of kills landed WITH OUT a reload. You take away the penalty for ditching and dieing so they might fight more, add to that the extra points for getting more kills on a single run forces more fighting, and less people to be "timid" to get those extra kills because they have a time limit on the ride. 

GVs, one tenth the points for kills with in one mile of a spawn point (towns should be outside the 1 mile radius at fields) Forces less spawn camping and more ground tactics.

That could be gamed as easily as the current system, though. Bombers would just auger rather than bail or ditch so they'd get the 7/10 points. Fighters, I don't see how that would change much, they'd still run away from a 1-1 fight rather than risking the 3 vulches they already have, or the 1st kill for the guys who figure they stand no chance other than a HO. GVs would just learn to spawn camp from 2000 yards, that's not all that tough a shot.

It's almost impossible to come up with rules that can't be gamed in an obnoxious manner. Some changes might make a small difference, but it's mostly a social problem, not a technical one.

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
Cool question, interesting thread. I thought i would ask the inverse of your question. When you are flying around and a " Bucky73 lands 8 kills in a la7 " message runs across the text screen what do you think about it? Do you imagine how he did that? does the thought "camping bastage" come to mind. For me I like the notification because it gives me some idea of what kind of fighting is going on and where the fun may be at. Personally I kind of like to see my rare kills in lights, i work hard for them. I have no idea what my score is and don't care. Actually i will admit that upping at a camped spawn 20 times in a row so i can kill the campers hording their 20 kills is fun, so please leave the kills notice on.

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
I think the scoring takes away from the game, but on second thought it might be the only reason some people play. What I mean by it taking away from the game is, I think there or a lot of good player's out there that won't put there score in jeopardy to help take a base for there country. And the one thing that drew me to this game was the simulated group combat with a goal in mind, when in actuality I found that in many cases the game is played on a more personal bases. So I think the scoring system in one respect hurts the game in general.....

Yepper...to many worried about some stupid score sheet. Some people (I consider myself one of them) will take on 2 or 3 bad guys just to see if they can take em...I might add that the majority of time I fail at this :rofl... but that is the way I challenge myself at this game. It is by FAR alot more fun for me doing this. IMO too many others think that the real challenge is just simply not "dying" and will do all they can to avoid an actual fight to do so.
It's just a game boys... Your not really dying, your not really flying, and your not a real pilot.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
I don't buy into the Muppets (just an example don't freak out on me :)),don't care about their fighter skill, which translate to score in some fashion.
Fire in red, smoke in brown. Fire is what we care about, smoke is just a byproduct.  Only a couple of us actively care about score.. Zazen.. maybe others but I can't think of any. I can't speak for Zazen but I can't say that he puts score before good fights.

Maybe it's a new player who's making an effort to learn to fly and fight properly and that's the first time he's ever landed 2 kills without HOing, spawn camping, etc.
Nope..
Why does it bother you if he gets a pat on the back?
Not the patting, the spam.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:29:42 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you