Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 8039 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Wait - we can land?? When the hell was that implemented? Sheesh, no one tells me nothing  :devil

Turn it off, bin score, whatever, I just fly for fun to be honest.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
I play so little anymore. When I do, I enjoy it when the rare luck happens that I get a couple kills and land. "Name in lights" is enjoyable, I'll admit. The real reason I play anymore is just the Friday night banter with my squad. I spend so much time at work and with family, that this escape only happens every now-and-then.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
No, I probably would not because I'm a lazy bum.  On the other hand, if HT turned it off for everybody and gave us the ability to turn it on, I probably wouldn't bother with that either.

Glove

Online fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
there is a arena setting that turns off kills messages all together ( including when you shoot someone :D )

I always wanted to run a scenario where people report their kills afterwards and see how it matches up to stats. Hostile shores was somewhat like that, but film viewer messed it up a little.... besides we never quite got the reporting the way it should be

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
To answer the questions,
Yes I would turn it off for myself, heck the way I fly, it must be turned off now  :rofl

Could care less about the attaboy factor really, and no it would not affect how I fly  :aok

:salute

JDog

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Bad day of AHII - On, Good day - Off.

No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena

If you could shut off kills landed messages for yourself, would you?

I'm not talking about shutting it down for everyone, but just you, so that anytime you happened to land kills, no one would know it.  There me be 300 other people who leave it on and land 74 kills in their Spit 16 of vulching doom, but your 6 in your 51D are known only to you.

I'm just curious how important it really is to people?

Do you think you'd fly differently if you didn't get your name in lights and the 'attaboys' that follow?

I'D shut it down. i like to see the plane in front of me go boom, or i like to see important pieces fall off....assuming that is, that i managed to saddle up the bogie.
 the only way there's still any excitement once the fight is over, is in trying to limp home in a severly damaged aircraft(again, assuming i survive). it's just the principle of gettin my cartoon airplane back to my cartoon airfield.
 there's no real thrill in seeing *1LTCAP has landed X kills in a P-38J. the thrill was earning the kills.

as for changing how i fly? nope. i ether dive into a furball, or i try to set up the fight, so i have a decent chance of surviving past 2 or 3 turns.

<S>>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:58:45 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
I would leave it on.  I so rarely land kills that I like the recognition.

Yes, turning it off would affect how I fly.  If it was off, I probably wouldn't rearm very frequently, and I wouldn't try so hard to land if I was carrying a few scalps to land.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
I agree...get rid of scores and your name in "lights". This game would be so much better if they did that. Too many people striving to get their name in the text buffer so other intarnit pilits can see just how "elite" they are. :rofl :rofl

It's no secret that scores are a joke. What's the point? :rolleyes:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I'd leave it on, of course its rare that I make it home with kills so its still a thrill for me to get my name in lights.

Would I fly different, nope. I'm balls out all the time. Fly to fight, fight to kill. thats my motto.

I think a lot could be done WITH the scoring. They could use scoring to adjust how people play in the arenas very easily. Most say they done care about the score, but the majority of those really do care.

Bombers, if you bail/ditch you get one tenth of your points, you get killed you get seven tenths, you land you get full points. End result is more buffs would fight and try to return to base.

Fighters, same points whether you bail, die, or land, but you get a multiplier for number of kills landed WITH OUT a reload. You take away the penalty for ditching and dieing so they might fight more, add to that the extra points for getting more kills on a single run forces more fighting, and less people to be "timid" to get those extra kills because they have a time limit on the ride. 

GVs, one tenth the points for kills with in one mile of a spawn point (towns should be outside the 1 mile radius at fields) Forces less spawn camping and more ground tactics.

Can these things be done, I don't know, but they are just examples to use "points" to reward good game play, and inhibit bad game play.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
I'd leave it on, of course its rare that I make it home with kills so its still a thrill for me to get my name in lights.

Heh.  For me it's embarrassing, there's almost an audible gasp from the assemblage.

"Oldman killed someone?"

"That's what it says on the text buffer."

"Wow.  This could be a first."

"WTG OM!!"

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Off or on means as little as the ranking system in AH. Off across the board would be great as it clogs the chat area sometimes. When someone lands a few kills it means nothing unless you know how they got the kills. I've upped a goon before and landed 4 kills. I laugh when I see some 10buc2 name landing 15 kills in a tiger...... spawn camper comes to mind.

Now on the other hand if you could turn off your own and also turn off seeing others.... now that would work for me as well.

As for flying different... naaaa I'd still die somewhere in the trees.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:59:02 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Something I find interresting about all this is most say (vets especially), that they don't care about scores. Yet they are the ones that put in endless hours, months and even years working on ACM and BFMs. I can tell on the 1st merge if I have a skilled pilot on my hands or not. A dead give away is that they will not ho in most cases. That tells me they want to avoid a 50% chance of death right away.

The noobs to the game IMO are the only ones that don't care about score for they'll go to any means to get a kill. We all know that. You can tell the real milkers out there for they have the 9000% hit percentages in bombers and GVs. They're the ones that care about score the most.

I don't buy into the Muppets (just an example don't freak out on me :)),don't care about their fighter skill, which translate to score in some fashion. I mean think about....why do squads actively recruit good sticks? Because it helps out their base line stats and that guy can save their butt some day.

All the sticks in AoM are uber. Everyone of them. Does anyone here think they'll recruit 75688402 anytime soon? I don't think my squad would. It's just human nature to want to be good at whatever you do and doing well is reflected in some aspect in the scoring stats. Good squads are built by design, they don't just "happen".

I for one care somewhat about my stats, not really my score, but I do want to be better then the next guy.That's just the way I am. I want to win.....we all do I think.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
would like it to show up only in squad text like to give kudos to squaddies on squad text only
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
All the sticks in AoM are uber.

You obviously have never fought me.    :confused:
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC