Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 8007 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47:05 AM »
Is there anyway HTC can maybe test having no kill messages? that might be good to see if gamplay gets better for those who dont like it, maybe just a tour without them :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:21 AM »
there was another thread about changing the kill amount to like 5 kills to be listed in lights.  i think that would change alot of peoples habits too. i see people get 2 kills and then run to land them to be noticed. upping to 5 would make things more competive.

i've landed 2-3 kills many times never leaving the runway in bombers from vulchers augering and being shot down from frontal guns
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:23:19 AM by TheZohan »

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
A lot of you come from a long background in this game, where 2 kills is "nothing".

Take it from someone who is struggling lately... 2 kills is not a given. For every pilot that posts in this thread that has a K:D ratio of 3:1 and thinks that 5 kills is more worthy, keep in mind there are MULTIPLE people dying and maintaining a K:D ratio below 1:1 for you to have that high a kill ratio, and landing that 2 kills message might be just what gets them to take off next time, and the time after. I could care less about my overall score really, but that little bit of positivity to counteract the hours of frustration.

If you're going to change the kill messages, remove them completely. Don't sit there and only show for those people who are only good pilots or good vultures (i.e. 5 Kills).

(and FYI, I'm not too proud to say that I DO smile when I can finally land 2 or 3 kills and get an "attaboy" from my squaddies. Makes me feel like I'm not letting them down by my poor flying all the time.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:19:32 PM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline NHattila

• Copper Member
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »
I think the number of kills required for a landing message should be increased. Maybe to 4 or so.
Atti11a

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
I think the number of kills required for a landing message should be increased. Maybe to 4 or so.

Counter-productive.  People would fly in an even more timid fashion.

Do away with them all together.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
Maybe after 4 kills it should just punch you out of the plane....

HOST; Kill 4 has been recorded

Vox; Wooohooo  poof                      AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Maybe after 4 kills it should just punch you out of the plane without a chute

HOST: Kill 4 has been recorded

Vox: Wooohooo  poof                      AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  *splat*

:lol
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
A lot of you come from a long background in this game, where 2 kills is "nothing".

Take it from someone who is struggling lately... 2 kills is not a given. For every pilot that posts in this thread that has a K:D ratio of 3:1 and thinks that 5 kills is more worthy, keep in mind there are MULTIPLE people dying and maintaining a K:D ratio below 1:1 for you to have that high a kill ratio, and landing that 2 kills message might be just what gets them to take off next time, and the time after. I could care less about my overall score really, but that little bit of positivity to counteract the hours of frustration.

If you're going to change the kill messages, remove them completely. Don't sit there and only show for those people who are only good pilots or good vultures (i.e. 5 Kills).

(and FYI, I'm not too proud to say that I DO smile when I can finally land 2 or 3 kills and get an "attaboy" from my squaddies. Makes me feel like I'm not letting them down by my poor flying all the time.)

In a little agreement with this post. There has to be a reward for the newer pilot, however subtle.

Anymore I'm starting to see more vets with issues then newer peeps. This is a hypothetical thread, and sparks an interesting question. OTOH, those like these which are not hypothetical almost become disturbing with the constant repeats or repeats. If all you can do is repeat repeats you probably don't have many issues with the game itself,... more so within...IMO. Some people are addicted to complaining, which is counter productive and the repetitiveness distracts from the issue, as a whine.

This game is crammed with egos. just a personal observation.
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

Everybody likes a little recognition, it's human nature,  even those in this thread who  are preaching against having "landed kills" messages. They just won't admit it.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
Everybody likes a little recognition, it's human nature,  even those in this thread who  are preaching against having "landed kills" messages. They just won't admit it.

Zactly,... but the real questions IS, would your flying style change if the message wasn't there. Me bets some egos would even quit. <wild giggle>.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
Ok how about if you get killed it still posts how many kills you had. OOO OOO  I know..... it can even have a link to your stats.

HOST; Shuffler has been downed with 1.5 kills (www.lotsofzeros.com

:noid
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »
I think we all enjoy seeing our name in lights, and the wtg's etc. its gratifying.  I also think that the stats page helps with info to help you determine where you need to improve in your flying and for most of us that is what we use it for.

However, there is the "darkside" of all of this, thus it has created players to be fixated so much about there score or stats that it has created a very timid player, more and more players have determined that mitigating "any" risk will help improve their score, so you end up with players that are trying to get as many kills as they can with the minimal amount of risk and in the shortest amount of time = HI-Score.  

The days of padding scores on shades are over, now they have to do it the old fashioned way, earn it, but you will always have those "gamers" that don't want to take the time to earn anything, they want it all for nothing.

As a community, we have to accept the good with the bad, but we don't have to accept gamers ruining everyone elses fun.  

I don't know what it will take to correct that type of fixation, maybe getting rid of the scoring or ranking system?  

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Ok how about if you get killed it still posts how many kills you had. OOO OOO  I know..... it can even have a link to your stats.

HOST; Shuffler has been downed with 1.5 kills (www.lotsofzeros.com

:noid

OR, how about rewarding the killer pilot with more perks for killing a multi kill pilot? Running home to land a kill would be like becoming the piper,...with a stream of perk mongers on his 6.

Pilot A kills Pilot B with with 12 kills.

<thinks about buying stock in kleenex>

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
This game is crammed with egos. just a personal observation.
You can't make observations, it's egotistical.  What is this, a virtual message board??
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2009, 06:51:08 PM »
it wouldn't change the way I fly. wouldn't change my kill ratio. wouldn't lessen my deaths. but the game would be missing something if kill messages were gone. its part of AH.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.