Author Topic: Could Someone Please Define a "HO"?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
Could Someone Please Define a "HO"?
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:40:36 AM »
Hello all. I've been spending a lot of time in DA trying to learn how to use my new CH pedals. When I manage to get a 1v1 at a remote field, we agree on no HO'ing. Ok, so the merge is guns cold but from there I seem to be meeting some disagreement. After the merge, if I get my nose around first for a solution before my dueling partner I feel no obligation to hold fire. A HO to me is both planes have an equivalent solution on one another  thereby nullifying the pass. HEAD ON meaning neither plane has obtained a superior guns solution on the opposing plane. Now if I get around first and get guns on but my opponent DOES NOT have a solution on me, even thought it will often be a very acute angle shot on my part, but still with no opposing guns solution on me. Some are calling the acute angle front shot a HO. IM seening the top or bottom surfaces of the opposing aircraft meaning to me that they haven't got guns on. To me both planes have to have guns on each other to be legitimately called a HO. In some aircraft, like a P40, you don't get a lot of chances to gain angles and I'll take a close angle shot every time. FROM MY SEAT THE OPPOSING CRAFT CANNOT SHOOT ME BECAUSE I AM OUT OF THEIR GUNPLANE. Have I been doing this all wrong or are people just getting pissed that I'm getting around faster and getting the shot first? Help me out here.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Could Someone Please Define a "HO"?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
If the other plane COULD have gotten guns on you, but chose to maneuver out of it, yet you chose to pursue it and shot, that could be considered a HO.

If only one plane has a potential gun solution it isn't a HO.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:59:44 AM »
If the other plane COULD have gotten guns on you, but chose to maneuver out of it, yet you chose to pursue it and shot, that could be considered a HO.

:aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »
after the initial merge in a 1v1, HO is thrown out and all is fair game. there has to be a merge when 2 planes are approching on and intersecting heading. after the merge it's each pilots responsibility to avoid any type of shot whether from 12 o' clock or 6 o' clock.
i guess some people think a slight angles advantage is not enough, and you have to be saddled on the cons 6 before firing...
Squash

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »

Yup.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:11:17 AM »
after the initial merge in a 1v1, HO is thrown out and all is fair game.

uhhh no.  A HO is a HO regardless of what merge it is taken on. Attempt to rewrite  a definition that has been around for years:   DENIED
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
after the initial merge in a 1v1, HO is thrown out and all is fair game. there has to be a merge when 2 planes are approching on and intersecting heading. after the merge it's each pilots responsibility to avoid any type of shot whether from 12 o' clock or 6 o' clock.
i guess some people think a slight angles advantage is not enough, and you have to be saddled on the cons 6 before firing...

Often enough it falls out in a similar airplane duel that both airplanes will find themselves in a position from which either could put the nose on the other plane and fire, and neither plane has ton of energy available for HO evasion maneuvers.

Now in this situation, both could choose to HO, which in AHII is basically mutually assured destruction for both planes. Coin toss decides who gets the "kill". Or they could both call that pass a wash and continue to work for a more valid guns solution.

Or one joker can choose to HO while his opponent tries to duck instead of returning the HO and claim "victory" if he succeeds.

You tell me which behavior is more sensible and sporting in a gentlemanly 1v1 in the DA.

Now, in the heat of battle does the line between high-deflection and a head-on get blurry? You bet.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
The only definition with which you will find consensus among the player base is:

a girl/woman predisposed to a certain moral flexibility and/or harlotry.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:03 AM »

uhhh no.  A HO is a HO regardless of what merge it is taken on. Attempt to rewrite  a definition that has been around for years:   DENIED
i'm not saying it's not a HO. just saying anything goes.
Squash

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:22:30 AM »

You tell me which behavior is more sensible and sporting in a gentlemanly 1v1 in the DA.

be a gentleman. but if you got joked, take it like a man.
Squash

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:55:19 AM »
There's no point in taking a HO in the DA. As far as I'm concerned the longer the fight, the happier I am. I didn't think I was HOing by taking the tight frontal shot given that the other plane couldn't get guns on. It seems that that is the concensus here as well.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
be a gentleman. but if you got joked, take it like a man.

joked = cheap shot? Fight 'like a man' if it's a 1 on 1 in the DA.

Most regular duelers will merge head on without firing any number of times before one or the other slips up. Thats the challenge of a 1 on 1 fight otherwise its just a 1 on 1 kill.

In the MA i agree with you, all bets are off. There are very few merges in the MA.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »
Right back in your face steve!

Dunno when you arrived, but back in beta a HO was both planes nose to nose from a significant distance.
And the reason it has a stigma attached is because it takes virtually no skill to do.

A front quarter shot in the middle of a turn fight is a whole nother ball game. If both planes are manuvering, then its NOT a HO.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »

This is why I always say.... "Its ALWAYS my fault if I get HOed" and seriously I mean it 100%... There is always a way out of a HO and you always have the choise to get out of it.

Most pilots will whine when ever they loose a HO situation. Imho it is ok to be upset about looseing but most of the whining is focused on the other pilot when all of it should be focused on one self. Its never the other pilots fault that you die to a HO, its always your own for letting it happen.

The HO is so easy to avoid its not like you get out flown by some ace that manouvers his plane like a bat out of hell. Avoiding a HO is as simple as landing a plane.

Tex

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
If you are lead turning so damn early I can see your plane from nose to tail, you better believe I am going to take the shot. To do otherwise would voluntarily surrender initial angles and (more often than not) the fight.

Otherwise, I try not to fire on the initial merge.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!