Author Topic: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war  (Read 6643 times)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
And good day to you!

I suspect you really do know where I'm coming from.  The Spit (and here I mean the 8, 9 and 16) is an easy plane to fly and to get kills with.  Its climb and maneuverability are not much worse than a Zeke, it's guns are not much worse than a FW 190A8, it doesn't stall unless you're trying to stall, and it's reasonably fast.  I think it's a great plane for people to learn on.  But once you've learned how to fly and fight, it seems to me that you should move on to something more challenging (which is just about any other fighter), if only from personal pride.  Even kids move on from t-ball.

As Akak and others have pointed out, there's no particular reason why I should care what other people are flying, and I certainly don't mean to imply that there should be restrictions on free choice.  I've always mentally excluded Brits and Canadians from the Spitfire equation because the plane is almost an article of faith for them, but I have real trouble respecting a non-English Commonwealth vet who flys the poster queen of easy-mode airplanes. 

Simple as that, really.

- oldman
Tell you what, Oldman -- when someone can fly a whole tour in the plane of their choice and never lose an engagement, then I will join you in your call that they need to look for something more "challenging."  Until you find that person and point him out, this is just a bunch of elitist BS.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
You forgot that the SpitXVI has a much better sustained turn rate than the F4UC, or any other unperked F4UC. (With or without the use of flaps). On top of this, according to Mosq's data, the full flaps radius of the SpitXVI is 450 feet, compared to the F4U-1C's 443! Wow,that is a *massive* difference there!

Turn rate *WINS* nose-to-tail turning fights, and this is the most intuitive and most common kind of turning fight you see. Extremely tight turn radius against something with the climb rate of the SpitXVI is basically defensive...he doesn't HAVE to accept an invitation to the scissors at all, he can just muscle up into the vertical. Don't let the fact that most SpitXVIs are horribly piloted obscure what it represents as an air superiority fighter.

And it is ludicrous to dismiss roll rate the way you have. An otherwise inferior fighter with good high-speed roll rate can conceivably use this to get the VIII out-of-plane for either an overshoot or enough separation to escape. Such is not the case with the SpitXVI. Roll rate is just as important defensively. A SpitVIII is that much less likely to avoid a guns pass because it cannot roll into an evasive nearly as quickly. The minute difference the VIII possesses in rate and radius of turn is not nearly so important in the MA as roll rate.

If you are using the 16 as a high speed b/z plane I would humbly suggest you are using the wrong tool for the job.  The advantage of being able to roll fast at high speeds is a moot point when the planes strength is not its speed.

You don't fly a Spit because of how fast it is.  You fly them because they handle so well slow when turning.

I grant you the diff. in turn radius between the two on paper is small, but for me, the 16 has always been "squirrely" when slow and the 8 was much easier to maneuver when I am knife fighting.  The 8, for me, not only turns better flaps out, it is more stable when doing so.  Always has been, and I am not the only one that has that opinion.

So the VIII is superiour in the catagory that matters the most when you are flying a Spitfire.

Which is why I hold the opinion that handling and performing at stall speeds is just as, or more important than how well it rolls when fast.

I might add that in a nose to tail fight, if a XVI tries to use the verticle on the VIII they are going to be in the tower quick.  The 16 just doesn't have enough of an advantage in climb to pull something like that off and live vs. a VIII.

A SpitVIII is less (not by much imho) likely to avoid a guns pass because it cannot roll into an evasive as quickly as a SpitXVI, but if I am in THAT situation, I have screwed up somewhere.  The key in that situation is timing, not performance.

An otherwise inferior fighter with good high-speed roll rate can conceivably use this to get the VIII out-of-plane for either an overshoot or enough separation to escape, but if they are able to, I have screwed up somewhere.  That move is just too easy to counter.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
Don't be dense.  The term "unbalancing" comes from the game designer himself.

http://www2.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/perks.html

That there are no hard and fast rules for it is beside the point.  If the XVI fit whatever benchmarks HTC uses, it would be perked.  It doesn't, so it isn't.

You are the one being dense.  HTC never bothers to define it:

The perk system is a way for HTC to introduce some interesting but otherwise unbalancing planes on a limited basis but the benefits go deeper than that.  Perk planes (and vehicles) would be things like Me 262s, Ta 152s, Tempests, B-29s, Ar 234s, Tiger IIs, etc.  These are interesting rides but would be very unbalancing if they were available on an unlimited basis.  So there won't be unlimited availability but they'll be available as bonuses or perks every so often.

The only explanation I can get from this passage might be: "unbalancing" means really good.

HTC does not use benchmarks to perk an aircraft or vehicle.  It is entirely ad-hoc.  If HTC could give a definition for unbalancing I would accept it, but instead they merely point to examples.

The reason why it seems impossible for us to give a good definition of "unbalancing" is because there are inconsistencies in which aircraft/vehicles are actually perked.  You can't reverse-engineer a definition for a term that has inconsistent use.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:41:27 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
In my opinion the Spitfire Mk.XVI is a far better A/C then the F4U-1C. (edit A2A)

Also you couldn’t perk the Spitfire Mk.XVI without perking the Mk.VIII, the performance of both A/C are almost identical. Well apart from the Mk.XVI's higher roll rate of course.

Now to the question of perking the above two planes or just the Mk.XVI alone, I’ll keep that answer to myself.

In my original post, I was referring strictly to the A2A characteristics of both planes. The Mk. XVI totally outclasses the F4U-1C in that department.

However the F4U-1C is without a shadow of a doubt a better multi-roll A/C, that’s probably the reason why the F4U-1C is perked and the Mk. XVI isn’t, the same could be said for the La7 as well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:44:36 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »
Incorrect. The top speed of the SpitXVI on WEP is 342, exactly the *same* as a C-Hog without WEP. And with the SpitXVI's acceleration being what it is, in no way is the C-Hog guaranteed the ability to disengage at will, even with WEP. Further, the C-Hog's top speed of 356mph at WEP on the deck needs qualification. Here is the chart:

Like I said, the -1C can outrun the spit without WEP. The best the Spit can do is stay with the -1C until it's WEP is gone, then it loses almost 30 MPH.

For all intents and purposes the SpitXVI is as fast as the C-Hog in the 10K and below region where it tends to all happen in the MA anyway.

Umm...no, but then you already know that.

The C-Hog has firepower, a smaller turn radius, and a marginal top speed advantage. The Spit has roll-rate, and a huge advantage in climb, acceleration, and turn rate. I think its very defensible to make the claim that these two should be considered equals for the purposes of perking.

If the Spit 16 had decent offensive cababilities, then maybe, but as it is, it has limited range and ammo loadout, so it can't really take the fight to the enemy. Like the LA-7, it's primarily a defensive aircraft. If I recall correctly, the only defensive aircraft to be perked is the 163.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »
Like I said, the -1C can outrun the spit without WEP. The best the Spit can do is stay with the -1C until it's WEP is gone, then it loses almost 30 MPH.

The 1C is only faster below 5k ft, and then by a small margin.  Above 5k ft the XVI is faster.

F4U's can't run out of WEP?

If the Spit 16 had decent offensive cababilities, then maybe, but as it is, it has limited range and ammo loadout, so it can't really take the fight to the enemy. Like the LA-7, it's primarily a defensive aircraft. If I recall correctly, the only defensive aircraft to be perked is the 163.
You don't.  Recall the Spit XIV.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Something that should be brought up: Except for firepower, the C-Hog is the worst Hog in the lot.

The impact of the 20mm on performance is so negligible compared to the 1D it's going to come down to pilot skill (1 and 1A see a bigger gap, but still not remarkable). And even being the "worst Hog in the lot" still rates it above 80-85% of the plane set.

You're making such a HUGE deal about stall speed nose-to-tail fights you're forgetting about high speed performance. Any Spit that tries to take the fight to high speeds--where the Hog's E-retention and zoom capability at LEAST negates the Spit's sustained vertical performance, to say nothing about the Corsair's control responsiveness--against the F4U is putting his life in his hands.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Saxman, the f4u does not zoom better than the xvi.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »

It does when Saxman is BnZing some rookie at mach 1. :rofl
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:33:23 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
The P-51 represents 10% of the entire planeset's usage. Sounds like unbalancing to me.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
The P-51 represents 10% of the entire planeset's usage. Sounds like unbalancing to me.

But you've got to realize, when you sign up for AH and go into the hangar, the P-51D is already highlighted.  Then you also have these History Channel/Dogfights fanbois who claim the P-51 was the BEST dogfighter of WW2 that jump into the in the first sorties because they think it would own every other plane
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »

Read my WHOLE post. I said it will negate the Spitfire's SUSTAINED RATE OF CLIMB. Even if the Hog won't lose the Spit in the Zoom, at Co-E the Spixteen won't do more than just keeping up.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
I'll keep flying the Historical aspect of this game.   I think it's pathetic that some of you have become mired in the "War to be right in all things AH." 

Just play the game your way.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
Read my WHOLE post. I said it will negate the Spitfire's SUSTAINED RATE OF CLIMB. Even if the Hog won't lose the Spit in the Zoom, at Co-E the Spixteen won't do more than just keeping up.

If I test this will you accept the results? ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
I'll keep flying the Historical aspect of this game.   I think it's pathetic that some of you have become mired in the "War to be right in all things AH." 

Just play the game your way.   

You realize it's tough to blame you for things if you make sense and are right don't you? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters