Author Topic: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »
He's saying he'd rather have an uprated 14 than an uprated 16, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2009, 08:54:34 PM »
He's saying he'd rather have an uprated 14 than an uprated 16, if I'm not mistaken.

rgr that. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
I did some research.

The Spitfires Mk IX was able to achieve 25lbs of boost using 150 octane fuel.

"The first Spitfire IX was first cleared for testing use of +25 boost with 150 octane fuel in March of 1944. By May of 1944, all Air Defence Great Britain Spitfires were being converted to +25 boost.

There were some problems with the Packard Merlin 266 engines in Spitfire XVI's, they did not tolerate the boost as well as the Rolls Royce Merlin 66's in the Spit IX's, and these Spit XVI's were reduced back to +18.

No Spit IX Squadrons had to discontinue use of 150 octane and +25 boost."

edit: I've been looking at the performance increase that comes with the 150 octane fuel and coooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooor!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:04:16 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
I did some research.

"The first Spitfire IX was first cleared for testing use of +25 boost with 150 octane fuel in March of 1944. By May of 1944, all Air Defence Great Britain Spitfires were being converted to +25 boost.

There were some problems with the Packard Merlin 266 engines in Spitfire XVI's, they did not tolerate the boost as well as the Rolls Royce Merlin 66's in the Spit IX's, and these Spit XVI's were reduced back to +18.

Search for the 150 octane threads that have been had before.  It's all been said :)

edit: I've been looking at the performance increase that comes with the 150 octane fuel and coooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooor!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »
You keep ignoring the incredible fragility of Spitfires in AH as well.  They are possibly less able to take damage and keep flying than A6Ms as their wings pop off at almost the slightest hit.

This would be a solid point but for the fact that the spit16 dodges as well as anything in the game.
No offense intended, but what are you guys smoking here?  The spitfire is the epitome of easy.  The whole gamut of the planeset is centered around it.   Damn right, it's better than the chog. 

No point in arguing with Karnak on this one. Check out this quote...

Considering the P-38 is an easymode fighter, not sure how that works out.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
Compared to actually hard to use fighters the P-38L is easymode.  Is it as easy as a Spit XVI?  No.  It is certainly easier than an Fw190 though, or a Ki-61, or a P-40, or a P-47, or a F4F, or a Mosquito, or a Bf109G-6, or a Yak-9U....
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
Compared to actually hard to use fighters the P-38L is easymode.  Is it as easy as a Spit XVI?  No.  It is certainly easier than an Fw190 though, or a Ki-61, or a P-40, or a P-47, or a F4F, or a Mosquito, or a Bf109G-6, or a Yak-9U....

Easier at what?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »

Well this 38G driver got his first flight of the tour in and was having a blast fighting Spits although not a single 16 did I see.  7 Spits down, 3 VIIIs, 2 IXs and 2 Seafires., died to em 3 times.  More then once it was taking on 3 at a time.  Great fun!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2009, 01:10:48 AM »
Easier at what?
Overall effectiveness and ease of use.

Example, using two fighters I am familiar with, the Mosquito can kill easily, but it has a hard time staying alive.  The P-38L can't kill quite as easily in some ways, easier in others, but it finds staying alive much easier.  The P-38L has a better balance between the two.

Well this 38G driver got his first flight of the tour in and was having a blast fighting Spits although not a single 16 did I see.  7 Spits down, 3 VIIIs, 2 IXs and 2 Seafires., died to em 3 times.  More then once it was taking on 3 at a time.  Great fun!

Yup, P-38G is not an easy fighter to be successful in.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »
No, not really, but we don't need another perked Spitfire and doing that would lose us our pre-mid-1944 Spitfire LF.Mk IXe stand in.  Better is to leave it unperked as nobody has offered any valid reason for perking it yet, but raise the Spitfire Mk XIV's boost to +21lbs and make it actually worth the perks.
Okay then, you haven't offered a valid reason for not perking it yet.

See how that works?

Who says what's a valid argument or not?  Every post here has been valid on both sides of the argument.  Just because you're opinion says that all the information gathered here is wrong or useless doesn't mean a thing.  In the end it's ultimately up to HiTech.

I also don't understand how making one of the best climbing and accelerating aircraft in the game even better at climbing and accelerating will make it perk worthy when it is not now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:51:42 AM by SectorNine50 »
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
Spits???  what spits?

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:45 AM »
I also don't understand how making one of the best climbing and accelerating aircraft in the game even better at climbing and accelerating will make it perk worthy when it is not now.

Because there's more than judging a plane than pure climbrate and acceleration. The 14 is hampered by it's weak wings (like any 14) and particulary by it's bad handling. It's acceleration and climbrate are very good indeed but not that far ahead of the competition to offset the handling handicaps in regards to perk status.
Keep in mind the K-4 is actually much faster and, all in all even a better climber... and still it's not perked ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
Because there's more than judging a plane than pure climbrate and acceleration. The 14 is hampered by it's weak wings (like any 14) and particulary by it's bad handling. It's acceleration and climbrate are very good indeed but not that far ahead of the competition to offset the handling handicaps in regards to perk status.
Keep in mind the K-4 is actually much faster and, all in all even a better climber... and still it's not perked ;)
Of course, but I wouldn't say the 16 had really any other "bad" characteristics.  I guess what I was saying was why add more to a plane that already has it all, and then say it's perk worthy?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2009, 06:35:31 AM »
I did some research.

XVI was re-cleared for 150 octane in Dec 44, along with the whole complement os 2TAF Spits.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
Unperk the F4U-1C and you will hear no more arguments from me about giving the XVI a 3-5 perk price tag.  Make it an experiment.  Of course there would be a lot of F4U-1Cs the first month, but once the unwashed masses realize that its cannons won't make them an ace, many would go back to their Spit XVI.

My best guess is that the unperked F4U-1C would have about as many kills+deaths as the P-51D.  It would not equal its previous record because there are many more planes to choose from today.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!