Author Topic: Initiating scissors  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Initiating scissors
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »
what mtnman said.

If we were talking american football, a pass interception is a defensive play.  If sucessful, a change from defense happens, but its still a defensive play.   We artalking bfm though, and offense/defense indicates positioning.   And you guys have gone to great lenghts indicating baiting/offering/leading into a scissors.  Which is done from what position?  Defensive.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
No question a scissors can only be offered not forced. It also is a very misunderstood defense since a number of specific variables need to be met. That being said the scissor is the aikido of defensive ACM and every reverse is really built on a rolling scissor action of some type. So the scissor is the manifestation of offensive intent from a defensive posture.

If we look at the nature of a fighter pilot we find that this intent to do harm is critical.

"never abandon the possibility of attack"
"better a mig on my 6 then no mig at all"
"there are only two types of planes, fighters and targets"

The amount of counter productive and useless "ACM" we all see in the arena's is a direct result of most players knowing they need to be "aggressive" but lacking a fundamental base of knowledge. To me the scissor is a defensive move with murderous intent (no pun intended). Basically your saying bring your knife into my phone booth and may the best man step out.

Now obviously we know that the other player has every option to simply say "I'll meet you in your phone booth" and then just nuke the phone booth instead. This leads into the games we play and why some pilots can create a reasonable (not always winning) fight from almost any position in any plane. There are no absolutes in air combat and a missed shot or a golden BB can dramatically alter a fight.

The scissor can be presented in numerous ways and at various attitudes in both flat and oblique postures. I often use a scissor defense in a -E merge from the onset of a fight. To me the scissor is a valuable opener from an inferior position equivalent to a kings indian defense in chess. The key is the recognition that you are defensive and that control of the fight rests in your opponents hands. The scissor simply says that for you to get close enough to shoot me you will be close enough for me to shoot you. It does place a higher level of ACM burden on the defender....but also on the attacker.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
I don't really have anything to add here except to say that these threads are why I read these boards.  Thanks guys!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Clonk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
sooooo anyone willing to help a noob (me) in improving scissors??   :)

<S> Clonk

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
Happy to help anytime you see me on....

remember however that scissors is a combination of a bunch of BFM and has a number of variables. Truthfully the best thing to do is to find a trainer and evaluate your overall level of ACM knowledge etc. vs just looking at one aspect. A lot of mistakes that people view as scissors related are actually more basic.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 07:16:01 PM »
My theory is keep it simple. Less thinking, more flying and definitely lots of shooting.  :)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Clonk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
Thanks Humble...I'll look for ya on sometime and will definitely look up a trainer!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:43 AM »
Just want to reiterate something so that newer players understand...

A scissors is a dance that needs two partners.  It is also not a very stable "dance" so to speak. 
"Well hey Murdr I've had scissor fights that went on for nearly 10 minutes."
Yes, so have I, but let me present this progressive flow of the scissors.

I want to stress what I said earlier...we are not looking for a scissors per se.  We are looking to induce a flight path overshoot.
"But Murdr, Humble says the scissors fight is the pinnacle of acm."
Yes, yes, but bare with me here.  A scissors only developes if both opponents are doing the correct maneuvers in response to each other.

Here's how thing progress
1. A flight path overshoot happens.
2. The "defender" recognizes this and cuts his flight path toward the defender.
That could be the end of the story right there.  The defender might be in position to swing his wingline back across the "attacker" and convert that flight path overshoot into a wingline or "3-9 line" overshoot.  That conversion is really our true objective in the first place.   If that is the case than it's not accurate to say they had a scissors fight.

3. The "attacker" also recognizes the flight path overshoot and
 a. Tries to extend out of gun range before the former "defender" can place a shot.
 b. Cuts their flight path back toward the opponent to cut them off from gaining a trail position.
4. If 3b. happens, and the "attacker" denies his opponent a shot outright, or at least a critical shot, we have another flight path convergence (see #1)

If you made it all the way to #4 twice, we have a scissors fight.

So what I'm trying to make clear is that just barrel rolling back into the opponent after a flight path overshoot isn't a rolling scissors.  If it results with you in trail, you managed to cause an overshoot.  Just alternating left and right hand turns with a bandit on your six isn't a flat scissors.  Unless you're getting the bandit far enough out of trail for converging flight paths, you're just "jinking".  Hence it's a dance that needs two partners.

As far as inducing a flight path overshoot, which could lead to a scissors fight, we suggest the barrel roll defense. 
You can see a movie demonstration by Badboy
(http://www.badz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Animations/Animation6.avi),
and there is also a package of film demostration by me
(http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/murdr/evarevall.zip).

Briefly, the barrel roll defense is a 3 step process.

1. A "leading turn".  Generally this is going to be a break turn, but it does not have to be.  In this step we are going to try to present the attacker with a high aspect target, so that the attacker will try to pull a lead for guns.  If you can acquire the bandit nose on in your up view, that means there is a greater that 45 degree difference in your flight paths.  We need this difference to create a severe enough flight path overshoot to work with.

2. Just as the bandit is about to employ guns, we want to start a barrel roll by rolling 90 degrees out of our turn.  On a side note: BFMs are named by the BFM problem we are trying to solve.  At this point we are solving guns defense, so we can consider this portion a high G roll (typically the "over the top" persuasion).

3. If everything went well with 1 and 2, while still performing our high G roll we need to watch our 6 for the flight path overshoot, and then orient our roll to our best guess of where the bandits flight path will end up.  At this point, our BFM problem is an insanely high aspect, and as pointed out earlier, we can consider the rest of our barrel roll as a lag roll.

Obvious question, what's the counter?  For step 1 use lag pursuit to minimize flight path differences.  I mentioned other options earlier in the post.

This is a basic straightforward way to induce a flight path overshoot and then convert it to a wingline overshoot with "a bandit coming in on my six".  As I also mentioned earlier sometimes flight path overshoots "just happen" and you can just start with step 2 or 3 at that point.  There are also ways to "make" flight path overshoots happen during the course of a fight.  But this is a good way to get familiar with both guns defense and recognizing flight path overshoots.

Finally, if you want to view an animiation breaking down the components of a rolling scissors, see this thread.  And by the way all of the links in this post have been accessable from the Trainers Site in the Trainer's files section.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:01:12 AM by Murdr »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »
Very well laid out, I've tried to say similar things but its not easy (for me) to be so concise. The complexity of the inter dynamics makes this a tough subject to learn (or try and teach). To avoid as much confusion as possible (last thing I want to do is add to the frustration for someone) I'll try and match up my earlier comments to Murders last post....

A good stick will often simply deny the scissor and refuse the bait.

"Scissors" is a defensive posture attempting to induce an attack from a less then optimal position. IMO the player with the advantage should always refuse a true scissor. (Again this is a whole other topic since as murder states a lot of times your not scissoring your just flopping around by your self).

a sustained scissors is a sign you did it wrong or the other guy is very good. Normally a scissor is just that...one maybe 2 flat at the max to one or 2 rolling. If its not over then your in a true fight

The true "scissor fight" is pretty rare, a scissor is a defensive move and like all defensive moves it has an offensive counter. Neither side wants to get into the sustained scissor but two good pilots can find them selfs locked into one by circumstance. Murder is 100% right in that the defensive players intent is an overshoot not a "scissors fight".

This type of topic is why its so important for developing players (of any relative skill level) to build a relationship with one or more of the guys in the training corps. Advanced concepts require a strong foundation and most of us (myself included) have a less then absolute grasp of all the interdependencies. Remember Shaw wrote his book after years of being a fighter pilot because he couldn't get the answers in the system.

I don't do a lot of "training" but work with a few people a month on average. I find that most of the time we end up focused on a more basic issue then they initially asked for help with. It's very important to build from the foundation up....

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
Truthfully the best thing to do is to find a trainer and evaluate your overall level of ACM knowledge etc.

I think that this is probably what I really need.  Any Trainers reading this wish to volunteer?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
I think that this is probably what I really need.  Any Trainers reading this wish to volunteer?

If you see me online, just give a holler...  Or you can PM me and we'll see if our schedules work out.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »
If you see me online, just give a holler...  Or you can PM me and we'll see if our schedules work out.

PM sent

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »
Two things and a thought:

1). Get with a trainer. All of the trainers know both how to and can teach the how to do a scissors, Rolling and Flat.

2). I use a Rolling Scissors as a set up to a kill. As long as folks, BELIEVE, it is purely defensive then they are apt to jump right into an attack. That is EXACTLY what I want them to do.

The trainers are a bit more foturnate than most because they are competely used to have anywhere from 1-6 guys on their 6 at distances ranging from 200-800 yds out, in every plane type. If they chose to clear their 6 they immediately turn back into the bandit which is the beginning of the rolling scissors. If the bandit choses to disengage the the trainers reversal merely takes them into an extension for a reset to the fight. There is something to be said for Dicta Boelke. Something about "turn to meet him".   If you don't then you've given your 6 to him, kinda like, on a platter.

Thought: If someone can chose to defeat an attack and turn the tables on some inbound bandit, what do you think they might be able to do if they were the bandit in the drivers seat? Hmmmmmm....
(Ren<--thinking out loud...it's prolly a good idea to be good in a rolling scissors)

Hope this helps

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
My theory is keep it simple. Less thinking, more flying and definitely lots of shooting.  :)

One set up, one rolling scissor, no more problem. Simple and effective. While this is rarely possible in practice, a simple 'one move' defence should be what you strive for at all times. It does not matter if you don't win the killshot, it is often a bonus to just losing your attacker instantly. If you are on the deck and thus trapped into intially flat turning you can still make the reverse turn into a barrel roll by adding some climb. This is far more effective than another flat turn back through the enemy's guns, but you must be vigilant on the throttle as you will make your enemy climb also, losing them speed.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/mossrevla7.ahf  <--- this 1 min film shows a reversal on the deck adding a slight vertical element to reduce the chance of coming under accurate fire.

This FW190 was slowly gaining at 600 yards behind the mosquito in level flight at around 5,000ft. The mosquito dives for a few seconds to give the illusion of building speed then cuts the power before starting the barrel roll reversal, or you could call it a single rolling scissor. Of couse it takes two to rolling scissor, this is more the opposing turns of a rolling scissors overlayed on each other in one solid line of barel roll.

In other words it is the last turn in a rolling scissor fight that grants someone a victory, only it is initiated as the first move of the fight. It is not a move the defender can pull off without some risk. But you are being attacked. You are at risk whatever you do.

While it looks as if the 190 is directly on the mossie flight path, the rate of the turn within the roll was hard enough to deny a gun solution, nearly on maximum G for both pilot's vision.
 Relative speed differences is the 190's undoing, not to mention trying to stay in pure persuit instead of lagging to avoid the overshoot. The wingline overshoot does not occur till just before the kink in the mossie flight path. The key was the 190 still thought it was the attacker untill a second before it was being fired on.

None the less, the more complicated a defensive you try, the more time the attacker has to work you out. While you will be forced to extend defensive moves against certain pilots or plane types, for the majority of MA encounters a simple 'bait-drag-evade-(fire)-reset' routine is the easiest and most valuable to get proficient with, imo.

S!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:06:13 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline CajunAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2009, 03:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Good post.
---CajunJax---