Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 14041 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
So it shines as an interceptor when one of those CV raids starts on a coastal airfield?  Doing it's job I'd imagine.  As one who takes off in a 38G into those mobs, it's not always the easiest thing to do.  The 16 would get up and into the fight in a hurry under the circumstances.

Logically speaking, saying that a given plane works well even against poor odds is the same as saying it is really effective and has good performance. Logically speaking, the same argument-"Its the kind of plane you'd want when ya need to whoop a crowd" :D-could be used for unperking anything. Especially the F4U-4.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »

Logically speaking, you are boring me. :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:16:21 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Well you are much more apt to get my support to unperk the -4 then you ever will be to perk the 16 :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
I AM beginning to think we should unperk everything for a few tours to see if any of the benchmarks for perkage people mention are actually workable. I wish there was data on the DA/Furblake. My perception is that Tempests and C-Hogs are common there, but not at the 20% of sorties level. That, IMO, casts doubt upon the usefulness of these benchmarks.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you pretty much against perking planes in general?

Well you are much more apt to get my support to unperk the -4 then you ever will be to perk the 16 :)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:37 AM »
We, don't you mean HTC?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
I AM beginning to think we should unperk everything for a few tours to see if any of the benchmarks for perkage people mention are actually workable. I wish there was data on the DA/Furblake. My perception is that Tempests and C-Hogs are common there, but not at the 20% of sorties level. That, IMO, casts doubt upon the usefulness of these benchmarks.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you pretty much against perking planes in general?

To get an idea of what would happen if everything were unperked just spend a night in the DA dodging the waves of Tempests and 4-Hogs....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »
Pyro on perking the C-Hog, January 6th, 2001:

Perks are a way to balance the arena, not so much a means of classifying planes.  How many were produced or what its combat record was is not relevant.  Some planes intended to be perks may not need to be while others that weren't intended to be may end up getting perked.  Right now, the F4U-1C is accounting for about 20% of all kills in the arena.  I don't want to push the score values any further so perking it is about the only option left.  I don't really like the idea of making a carrier plane unavailable from the carrier.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,12401.0.html

I'm kind of suprised this quote had not found it's way here yet.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
Lusche's usage pie chart is interesting. The most capable unperked fighters from the USAAF, RAF, IJN and VVS have roughly similar usage and take the 4 top slots, very nicely balanced I would say :aok

The one thing that stands out for me is how far down the list the most popular Luftwaffe fighter appears - 190A8 in 16th place (its safe to assume that the #12 110-G is mostly being used as airbourne artillery rather than as a fighter). Were the 109s and 190s really so hopelessly outclassed in the late war, or is it just reluctance for AH players to fly Lw aircraft? Despite their (artificially?) high ENY values.

btw unperk everything and you will pretty much only see Tempests imo
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
Lusche's usage pie chart is interesting. The most capable unperked fighters from the USAAF, RAF, IJN and VVS have roughly similar usage and take the 4 top slots, very nicely balanced I would say :aok

The one thing that stands out for me is how far down the list the most popular Luftwaffe fighter appears - 190A8 in 16th place (its safe to assume that the #12 110-G is mostly being used as airbourne artillery rather than as a fighter). Were the 109s and 190s really so hopelessly outclassed in the late war, or is it just reluctance for AH players to fly Lw aircraft? Despite their (artificially?) high ENY values.

btw unperk everything and you will pretty much only see Tempests imo

I think what it comes down to is most players aren't willing to take the time to get good in a bird that isn't the latest and greatest in their eyes.  It takes time to master some of the other birds.  I don't think you can force players to do so however.

Think about what some of the K-4 drivers can do with that thing.  And there are more of them lately.  Seems like I ran into Dano in a G-14 and he was doing just fine in it. 

Sadly it comes down to immediate success as opposed to more of a challenge for many players.  What you hope is that over time they leave the training wheels and push their limits.  But again, trying to force players to do so ends up being counter productive I believe.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »

One additional reason Luftwaffe fighters appear somewhat lower on that list is the fact that the "usage" within the 109 and 190 family is spread a bit more evenly. If 56% of  all 190's kills & death's had been made in A8's (instead of 35%), it would have been placed higher in that chart.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
The A8 having that share of the kills.. As many as the D9, and more than the A5 (twice as many!)... Now that is strange.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
4x20mm with almost unlimited ammo = easy 1-pass kills on buffs. nuff said :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
So it shines as an interceptor when one of those CV raids starts on a coastal airfield?  Doing it's job I'd imagine.  As one who takes off in a 38G into those mobs, it's not always the easiest thing to do.  The 16 would get up and into the fight in a hurry under the circumstances.

Geez man...do you ever get off the runway?  :lol

I like 38s, but taking one up for mob defense is some kind of masochism...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

I like 38s, but taking one up for mob defense is some kind of masochism...

Not at all, a good way to rack up a lot of kills in a short time.  It's amazing how easy it is to get others to overshoot a P-38 on the deck.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
The A8 having that share of the kills.. As many as the D9, and more than the A5 (twice as many!)... Now that is strange.

An ENY 31 perk-generating HOing machine... need more reasons? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman