Author Topic: energy management  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Re: energy management
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
My P-38 exploits so for, not very promising.......but a work in progress. :cry

Feel free to criticize!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdzdkjymtym

Oh and I love the 38G, it feels like a different plane from the other two!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:48:23 AM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
p38 being popular in a furball is what makes it fun... Give it time, you'll grow to love the bomber. :D

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
Flaps and throttle are as important in the 38 as E management.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 10:29:01 AM »
Part of the reason a G feels lighter is because it is on any given percent of fuel load. The G has no leading edge tanks as in the J and L.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
My P-38 exploits so for, not very promising.......but a work in progress. :cry

Feel free to criticize!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdzdkjymtym

Oh and I love the 38G, it feels like a different plane from the other two!

I watched the film. Two things you need to improve on, and both will help in any plane you fly, but are very important in the 38.... SA (situational Awareness) and "getting skinny".

In most cases in that film you were killed by guys you didn't see untill it was too late. You should try to know where every plane in the area is at all times. The more guys, the tougher it becomes. Those that do it well are at the top of the food chain  :D It's easy while just tooling along, but in a fight it's harder, but far more important. While you are chasing, or turning with a bad guy you still have to be scanning the views to update yourself where everyone is, more often the better. Don't get so fixated on the target your chasing, continue your scans!

"Getting Skinny" is giving the bad guy the worst possible profile of your plane as you can WHEN he has a shot opportunity. If your doing a flat scissor and you are the one out front, each time you pass in front of his plane he has a shot at you. If your plane is rolled over 90 degrees so you can pull into your turn your giving him the whole top view of your plane to shoot at. However, if just as he's coming into the "shot zone" you roll your plane level for that second or so he is shooting all he has is a profile of the side of your plane, much harder to hit.

Combining getting skinny with good SA and it makes you much harder to hit, let alone down. The longer you stay in the air the better the chance of them making a mistake you can capitalize on, and the more attacks you can make, getting more kills.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »
Energy management means not climbing into a fight......

Energy management means not pulling more g than needed......

Energy management means careful and judicious use of flaps......

Energy management means maneuvering up and down, avoiding flat turns......

Energy management means using the enemy's energy against him......

Energy management means being able to judge an enemy's E state......

Energy management means manipulating your energy, both kinetic and potential, in a manner that does not adversely waste or misuse your total E.

In your film you elect to climb up to a fight. That places you at a serious energy deficit from the get-go. Climb away from the fight until you are at least at the altitude of the combatants. Then, turn towards the furball.

Work up and down, convert potential energy into speed (kinetic energy), convert speed into altitude (potential energy).

If you want to learn E management, fly aircraft that do not build E easily. I recommend the P-40E or the Ki-61. These fighters offer poor acceleration, but excellent dive capability. Both zoom climb well enough, both turn well enough. Both suffer badly from excessive flap use.

Situational Awareness is the MOST important skill you can develop. You may be the best 1v1 pilot on earth, but if you lack solid situational awareness, you will not survive long in the MA. Stop by the TA and we will organize a 3v1 exercise. You will quickly find out how good or bad your SA is.

Last evening I was involved in a huge furball while flying a P-40E. My dilemma was that there were 15+ bad guys and only two or three of us. This fight developed over a friendly V-base, thus, guys who were shot down immediately rolled Wirbles. For those of us remaining, it provided a quasi refuge. Yet, the enemy had more than enough foolish pilots willing to risk the Wirbles. I managed to kill a Zero, Niki and 190A-8, before the Wirbles made it an assist bonanza. Several Wirbles turreted themselves shooting me as I closely followed enemy fighters. It was a hoot. 15 against 2 and we were holding our own. Eventually, gas became an issue and I bellied in between two Wirbles on the main pad. Three kills and 5 assists.... Not even a scratch to my Kittyhawk. At least a dozen Bish tried to pick me, but I was able to evade every one, pinging up most on the overshoot. The secret is simple. See them soon enough, and maneuver out of plane. Pickers are usually carrying lots of speed. That speed is your friend. It limits their options. What you need to learn is how to take advantage of the enemy's excess speed.

This comes from constantly practicing fighting off multiple enemy fighters. Do this enough and you will learn to recognize E states, recognize the greatest threat and spot the opportunist pickers in time to use their E against them.

P-38s are great fun and excellent fighters. However, they are relatively easy to manage E in. Mix in some dogs... P-40s, Ki-61, F4F-4, P-39D and the like. Develop good E management skills and the P-38 will feel like a rocket in comparison.

I am adding a link to a film of a training fight with Buddy. Buddy and I work on his ACM several times a week. Buddy is making excellent progress. His biggest issue is a joystick that appears to spike. Eventually, Buddy will be an excellent pilot. in the film, we are practicing merges and 1v1 fights. I am flying a P-40E, Buddy is in an F6F. Watch from the "fixed" view, zoomed all the way in. Smooth control inputs are important to conserving E. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Remember that statement, it's gospel. In this exercise, E management means generally maintaining a better E state than the faster, more powerful fighter. It is essential to gaining and then maintaining the tactical advantage.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=610d1165a51694232fb2ca15d7ea42d9e04e75f6e8ebb871

My regards,

Widewing

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:40:13 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
Cajunn,
after you read Widewing's wonderful post & review the linked film......reread the quote in your username signature........that is E management  ;)

good quick excerpt Widewing  :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
OK to give a clear example of what Widewing is talking about.

Follow me into a fight.  I do it exactly the opposite of what Widewing says :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 08:46:21 PM »

Yeah, no doubt...  I find myself fighting uphill all the time..... :rock
By all means, don't look at me as an example....lol
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »

The thing is, once you figure out how/why to do it "right", you'll often find you can get away with doing it "wrong", hehe!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »

I've actually found that following you into a fight is the easiest way to score kills. It's uncanny, I plotted my K/S, K/T once for various tours against the number of sorties you flew and their was a direct relationship. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:51 AM »
OK I have a couple of problems, when I come in on another plane and he does his break turn and I pull up and when I'm coming back over the top I have a feeling this is the wrong thing because it usually ends up bad for me. And I don't have a clue how I can have a clear E advantage on some planes and they do there break turn, then reverses and they still have the E to take a lead shot and I'm at the top of my climb in to stall range. But if I dive in on them and stay level after my pass I can run clear away from them, so I have the speed (energy) to pull away from them in level flight, but with the same energy and I can't get away by going vertical.

And I'm talking about being in the p-38, never happens in the F4U.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »
Why would you want to get away? :)

Just shoot em!

If you are talking the 38G, you won't get away anyway.  The J and L guys are much better at conserving their E and controlling the fight better.  Us 38G guys just turn until we're 38G parts. :D
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »
Why would you want to get away? :)

Just shoot em!

If you are talking the 38G, you won't get away anyway.  The J and L guys are much better at conserving their E and controlling the fight better.  Us 38G guys just turn until we're 38G parts. :D

That explains it, it sicken me to find out I couldn't rope in the P-38 but I was flying the G model. I wasn't trying to get away, but after having a couple of planes climb back up with me I was out of options  :P 

When I'm trying to get the handle on a new plane I spend a lot of time in the offline arena practicing mostly at stall speeds with flaps. While doing this in the P-38G I noticed that it would do some really amazing things and I though I would share this because it was so cool in the last part of the film I was doing loops without touching the joystick, just flaps and throttle. I know it has nothing to do with ACM but it is just the way I get the feel for a new ride.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnnmnm4lumy

I fell in love with the G, geez I guess I'll just have to die a lot because I think I'll stick with that one as my new main ride!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:30:47 AM by Cajunn »

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:01 AM »
OK I have a couple of problems, when I come in on another plane and he does his break turn and I pull up and when I'm coming back over the top I have a feeling this is the wrong thing because it usually ends up bad for me. And I don't have a clue how I can have a clear E advantage on some planes and they do there break turn, then reverses and they still have the E to take a lead shot and I'm at the top of my climb in to stall range. But if I dive in on them and stay level after my pass I can run clear away from them, so I have the speed (energy) to pull away from them in level flight, but with the same energy and I can't get away by going vertical.

And I'm talking about being in the p-38, never happens in the F4U.

Without a film, this is somewhat of a speculation, but...

When that guy does his "break turn", and you zoom up, how hard are you making him break?  How much E is he really losing there?  And how hard are you pulling up?  How much E are you losing when you do?

Just to jump to the "worst-case" example.  Low, E-conscious pilot, vs a high, not-so-E-conscious pilot.  High guy dives in...

If the lower guy is paying attention he can start his break a little early, which allows him to make his "break turn" pretty gently, nowhere near a blackout, and very slightly nose-down, so he really isn't losing much speed at all.  He may even gain a bit of speed, although he'll lose some alt (not much, I'm not talking about him diving away...).  This isn't really a break-turn at all, and has a slight E-penalty, which is good for the low guy.  He'll safely dodge the shot, without losing much E...

High guy sees the "break turn", and pulls hard to zoom back up.  If he's pulling hard to zoom back up, especially if he's going into partial black-out, and especially if his initial dive takes him below the level of the defensive pilot, he's giving up lots of E.  IMO, diving below the enemy pilot is bad, since you're wasting E (speed/zoom) just to get back up to the "lower" guys altitude...

What's the result so far?  The higher pilot has scrubbed a bunch of E, and the lower guy has retained the majority of his...  The E-disparity isn't as bad as it was initially, and the lower guy is making the fight much more "equal", (and it's only been one pass...)

Now, here's what often happens in my fights from a low position like this...  I reverse early, saving my E.  The high guy blows a lot of E in his dive, and zooms up.  If he's not careful when he zooms, he may give me a "corner" to cut across.  He's zooming, but either at an angle that allows me to reach him with a shorter, (but vertical) climb, or else he's zooming vertically, but off to one side, which allows me to fly an angled climb to "cut across" the gap...  This can happen after two or three dive attacks by the high plane, or after his initial attack, depending on the individual situation.

For the lower plane to follow the higher plane up, there's some risk of a "rope" of course.  But, if the lower guy is good at reading E, the risk can be minimal.  Going up after the guy to shoot him at the top of his zoom may actually be safer than allowing the fight to drag out another 30 seconds...

Another concept at work in these situations is "useful altitude".  I forget exactly how Shaw described it, so bear with me.  Useful alt (in my mind at least) is the altitude that a plane has enough speed to be under adequate control to manuever well.  So, if you're at 10k, but only flying at 50mph, you'll need to dive to regain enough speed to manuever.  That may take let's say 2000ft.  Your current alt may be 10k, but your "useful alt" may be only 8k.  Conversely, if your at 8k but flying at 400mph, you can easily climb to 10k, and still be fast enough to manuever well.  In that case, you're currently at 8k, with a "useful alt" of 10k.  See the difference?

Now, back to the first example.  The lower guy may start at 6k, with a useful alt of 6k (we'll, make it easy).  The higher guy starts at 10k, with a 10k useful alt.  If the lower guy does his gentle "break turn" slightly nose-down, and picking up speed, he may exit the turn at 5k, but still have a useful alt of 6k.  The high guy dives in and pulls his E-robbing, high-G zoom, and bounces back up to say 9k, where he (near-stall)(worst-case example to clarify the situation) reverses for another dive.  What's happened here?  The high guy is reversing from his zoom at 9k, but slow.  What's his useful alt?  It's lower...  Maybe only 7K when all is said and done...  The fight started with a 4k "useful alt" disparity, which has already been reduced to a 1k disparity.  Bad news for the "high guy".  He's well on his way to being killed, and probably doesn't realize it yet.  He has the advantage after all, right?

What if the process repeats?  It's actually possible for the low guy to have a higher "useful alt" than the "high" guy, especially if this repeats, or if the beginning useful alts aren't so different at the start.  What happens if the high guy zooms, when the low guy has a higher useful alt?  The low guy kills the high guy.  I think of it as "roping in reverse".

Another simple way to visualize an advantageous way to use the "useful alt" idea is for a plane that holds E well to come into a fight at 10k, at 325mph.  Just before entering icon range, he drops down to 7-8k, but now at 425mph.  He's "hiding his E" now.  To another plane, he appears "lower" than what his useful alt actually is...  Another plane that is currently higher, but equal or (possibly even lower) in useful E may make an "E-expensive" initial attack, only to find out that he now has a severe E disadvantage...  He's getting roped!  But how?  He started higher, right?!?

I'll try to find films to illustrate, but it may not be until later.

What if the low guy uses this "useful alt" disparity along with the angles possibilities mentioned earlier?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson