Author Topic: Logitech coming out with new HOTAS system  (Read 2459 times)

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
Re: Logitech coming out with new HOTAS system
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
I think Microsoft dumped the precision pro series because they were so durable nobody bought them again. I know I still fly with my first. And sadly probably last - dunno what I'm going to do once it wears out. Logitech sells you the stick again after 6 months - huge boost to turnover.

As much as it sucks it makes no sense building durable consumer products.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
i recognise that hatswitch from the 3D pro, which means it will wear out after 6 months, rendering the setup almost useless (unless you use trackIR i suppose). the nasty "clack" when he flips out the carpet grip says alot about the build quality. it wont be getting any of my hard-earned.

The same noise is made on the Steering wheel set pedals I have, and they are built very well.  They have lasted through 2 years of my torture and holding strong.
Also the HastSwitch looks more like the one on the Saitek Av8tr, Logitech 3D has an inward dimple much larger then that, and the 3D is more flat-ish.  I finally retired my 3D pro after 1 3/4 years due to a slight calibration issue that got too annoying.

Whenever I can justify 300$ on one product, I may try it, or maybe the price will drop by the time I look into it. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
Looks good, I better start saving.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »
I finally retired my 3D pro after 1 3/4 years due to a slight calibration issue that got too annoying.

This is exactly the issue with Logitec joysticks. Their potentiometers are utter trash. Calibration falls out and massive spiking eventually renders all of their sticks unusable, generally in under six months. There are some wonder stories of lasting years and years, but they're definetly not the norm.

If this stick has improved pots or even pots from out of house, I'd gladly buy it. Even then, it's hard to go to a Best Buy or something, play with it, and be able to tell that four months later the pots will die.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
This is exactly the issue with Logitech joysticks. Their potentiometers are utter trash. Calibration falls out and massive spiking eventually renders all of their sticks unusable, generally in under six months. There are some wonder stories of lasting years and years, but they're definetly not the norm.

If this stick has improved pots or even pots from out of house, I'd gladly buy it. Even then, it's hard to go to a Best Buy or something, play with it, and be able to tell that four months later the pots will die.

True the sticks normally don't hold out long, but if they are going to make something this expensive, one can only hope they would use higher end parts.  I use Logitech for everything I can except joystick for now (had to find something cheap at BestBuy), and have never had troubles with durability on anything else.  I just hope this is a turning point for them in that area.
I will likely try it after a year or so, give people time to test it.  I just hope this Saitek one lasts that long, Not really willing to spend more on Saitek or current Logitech Sticks. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50:59 AM »
I just like the non-centered ability of the joystick. Even with my CH Fighterstick I can tell when I hit center and roll from left to right or pull back or push down.

Then again, this is Logitech. I've had nothing of theirs, save for their mice and webcams last years. My MX540 mouse still works wonderfully after all these years. As for joysticks...well. I got a cemetery.

I would like to see CH use that joystick function though.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 04:57:12 AM »
This is exactly the issue with Logitec joysticks. Their potentiometers are utter trash. Calibration falls out and massive spiking eventually renders all of their sticks unusable, generally in under six months. There are some wonder stories of lasting years and years, but they're definetly not the norm.

I watched the Vid. It has no pots or contacts that wear out in the main axis. Not sure about the rotary switches.

Infidelz

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:42 AM »
I watched the Vid. It has no pots or contacts that wear out in the main axis. Not sure about the rotary switches.

Infidelz

Saitek uses the same "contactless" technology on the X52. Seems to me that threads are always surfacing regarding calibration issues on the X52. Did anyone happen to notice how flimsy the "throw" of the joystick was in the video? Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I'll stick (pun intended :devil) with my CH set-up.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »
Saitek uses the same "contactless" technology on the X52. Seems to me that threads are always surfacing regarding calibration issues on the X52.

My X52 Pro uses Hall effect sensors. Seldom do I recalibrate. The X-52 does not use these sensors as I recall. My X45 didn't last a year but the X-52 Pro is still going strong. More expensive but worth it. Love having no pots to start spiking or wearing the centers out.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
Nothing gets made in the USA anymore. Well, aside from multi-trillion dollar deficits that is.

CH Products are made in the USA, everything is made at their offices in Vista.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 07:22:49 PM »
My X52 Pro uses Hall effect sensors. The X-52 does not use these sensors as I recall.

Not sure how the Pro works, but the vanilla X52 uses Hall Effect sensors on the X and Y axis with potentiometers in the rudder twist and throttle.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »
Everyone seems to be oooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh over this.  I like a few others here like the 3DPro but they die after a few months.  For the cost of this setup you can get all CH gear and not have to worry about something breaking in 2 to 6 months

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »
leary

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

And wouldn't you know they made it only for right handers... haruph!

leery

Sorry, I couldn't help myself either.  :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 03:11:27 AM »
"Did anyone happen to notice how flimsy the "throw" of the joystick was in the video?"

I think that the FFB centers the stick when it is powered. Even if my HOTAS Cougar still works by the time that one is released I might buy one unless it has a huge defect that cannot be overcome by modding.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."