Author Topic: Logitech coming out with new HOTAS system  (Read 2457 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Logitech coming out with new HOTAS system
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 08:22:32 AM »
If your going to blow $300 on a set up I'd say just buy a CH setup and be done with it, I did  :D

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
If this doesn't have the pots that cause all the problems in their other sticks than it might be worth a go.  As someone else pointed out I have had a hat go to crap on Logitech as well though...   

On a plus side it has a dual throttle so you can do the trim tab h4x uber ace secret to turn 2x as good :noid
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 03:59:29 PM »
Logitech made the best joystick I ever owned (The Logitech Wingman Force) - a twin motor, steel cable force feedback that felt perfectly real - and when set to the highest forces,  we're probably "litigous"-ly strong.  My series of MS FF's afterwards never even came close to the same quality of force feedback - they always felt far to wimpy to be anything but toys. (On the other hand, the MS sticks were by far the most precise sticks I've ever owned)  The only beef I had with the LWFF was that it didn't have a gimbal to support the stick, it had a "pair of half gimbal"s design - so I had to shim it in places in the gimbal to take out slack that shouldn't have been there after a year or so of use.

Logitech also made the worst joystick I've ever owned (don't even remember what it was, but it went back the next day - I'd bought it to replace the Wingman Force which finally died.)

I'll watch for September hopefully - but I ain't holding my breath.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
Everyone seems to be oooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh over this.  I like a few others here like the 3DPro but they die after a few months.  For the cost of this setup you can get all CH gear and not have to worry about something breaking in 2 to 6 months

Look, I still use thrustmaster flight gear that is older than some of the pilots we have in AH now, and I have enough spares to last for a few lifetimes, but here are the features, if executed right, are worth getting excited about:

1. "Contactless pots." Probably means hall-effect sensors. Should be super-precise and jitter-free, not to mention maintenance free as well.

2. Force Feedback. If done properly, this could be interesting. My 1st-generation Force Feedback steering wheel from Logitech (the one with the steel cables) is outstanding, and in GPL and other hard-core driving sims, these are the coveted wheels that generate better "road awareness" and faster lap times.

3. Three Electronic trim wheels on the stick's base. Excellent.

4. The bases have bolt-holes for serious mounting on a desk or cockpit. I'm guessing the force feedback is pretty serious if they decided to add bolt-holes.

5. Split throttle. Never played with one, but it sounds neat.

6. 8 extra buttons on the base of the throttle. Handy for controls that don't need to be on the stick, but are nice to have off the keyboard. The arresting hook or fuel-tank switching comes to mind.

7. Those 8 extra buttons can be programmed to light up in different colors. This might allow for some interesting "status light" ideas. Maybe one can be red when the gear is down, for example.

8. Toe brakes and adjustable tension on the normal movement of the rudder pedals. My old CH pedals don't do all that.

That said, I do see some disadvantages too:

A. Logitech Build Quality. It's been spotty over the years. Some are great. Some suck.

B.  Not enough hats, but.... My FLCS and F-22's all have 4 hats on them, and this only has 2. That said, now that a lot of guys are using the Track-IR for views, hats might be a lot less important than they once were. I used to use 2 of my 4 hats for views, and now I don't use those hats at all anymore with my TrackIR. The third hat is used for Trimming the plane, but this new stick has trim wheels. I only use the 4th hat for the different radio channels and flaps, and two hats should be plenty.

C. Force Feedback. Is AH really capable of giving me useful information via force feedback? Can I feel a stall coming on any better than I can hear the stall horn or see it coming? Does the stick shake when firing guns, and doesn't the shaking actually REDUCE my aiming ability?

I think the potential for positives at least warrant checking it out and reading real world reviews of it in AH before dismissing it out of hand as garbage.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »
C. Force Feedback. Is AH really capable of giving me useful information via force feedback? Can I feel a stall coming on any better than I can hear the stall horn or see it coming? Does the stick shake when firing guns, and doesn't the shaking actually REDUCE my aiming ability?

As I know it, Force Feedback is still broken in Aces High.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
i have logitec force 3d pro still in the box if some one gives me a meat pie and a broken pencil they can have it, its complete rubbish :lo
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
2. Force Feedback. If done properly, this could be interesting. My 1st-generation Force Feedback steering wheel from Logitech (the one with the steel cables) is outstanding, and in GPL and other hard-core driving sims, these are the coveted wheels that generate better "road awareness" and faster lap times.

llama

Dont read too much into the bolt holes....I have a joystick w/o force feedback with the same holes.

Strip

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »
Tried to order one already.. Have to wait until September...
Like the integrated 3 piece set deal...

I like Logitek stuff, Plan on buying one...

Guess that I'll find out when the time comes... It's only money!

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 10:46:30 AM »
Interesting set up,but I'd have a hard time ever using anything but CH.I believe I purchased my USB Combatstick,Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals in 2003(I think),and I've never had any problems at all.Six years and no signs of wearing out,although I don't put as many hours into the game as others here do.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »

In order: yes, yes, yes, and yes (so I shut gun shake off).

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »
I think I'd buy it, as long as it has no contact surfaces and it's using similar tech as MS precision pro, It should last. Wonder if pedals are using the same tech...

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »
If your going to blow $300 on a set up I'd say just buy a CH setup and be done with it, I did  :D

Like the 3d pro but for what i have spent on them the last few years i could have invested in CH stuff..

Any suggestions?
what do you use?

If it's worth it i will shell out the coin.

love to know  :aok

froger
frogs are people too

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »
I've had 2 sets of CH pedals lose the toe brakes with the same design fault... ch ain't perfect.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
just bought x52 very good stick, joystick and separate throttle etc.

As i said before logitech force 3d pro is appalling, you have to set all force feedback settings to max and when you do it rattles constantly.

And most importantly you have to recalibrate on a regular basis.

(then again it could just be me not setting it up properly, i gave up after 6 months of use)

(its yours for a pie and a broken pencil) :D
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »
just bought x52 very good stick, joystick and separate throttle etc.

Make sure you take good care of it, IE plug it into a wall-powered USB hub. The irregularity in current from an onboard USB port will generally cause problems and eventually damage the stick.

I went through seven X45s that way before the X52 came out.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.