Author Topic: Choose your plane and stick to it.  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Choose your plane and stick to it.
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
I expected the primer 38 jocks to argue my points of course. I know you love your plane but there is no doubt that someone coming into the game will do nearly as well.
I am not a P-38 "jock", I don't even like it that much.  You're still wrong.  I say that as somebody who has tested these things. Want unstable?  Try a Ki-61 with one 250kg bomb.

The f6, 51,nik and F4U's all fly much more stable having just 1 1000 pounder.
N1K2-Js cannot carry a 1,000lb bomb.  They can carry a couple of 250kg bombs, about 550lbs each.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »
no need to perk a bomber unless it has n00kes or jet engines

@#$%@#$@#$@ Norwegians  :mad:

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »
  The last few camps ive been trying out different planes. Flying the same one all the time gives you a great feel for the plane, but can become stagnant.

~AoM~

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
There's only one...

(Image removed from quote.)

:aok

That is a great picture. Almost makes me want to fly one :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »
I am not aiming to tell anyone what to do but it occurs to me the real skill is choosing a plane and learn to fly it well. As in learn to work around its limitations and discover any hidden strenghts. Then exploit the assumptions others make about it to your advantage by surprising people.

I have chosen the spit 16 :rofl

(Actually I have decided to downgrade to the spit 8)

This is all a waste of time.  Just try and figure out who the pilot is and none of this will be an issue.

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »
I have always advised new squaddies if they are going to learn a new ride to fly it at least for a full tour.  (if not 2)

Unfortunately for me as I only get about 10 hrs per tour to fly it would take several tours to really get used to a plane. so I
fly whatever strikes my fancy at the moment, and I never worry too much about dying, it's only a game and I just wanna have fun.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
You guys barking "Perk the 38" better not have my main ride perked by the time i come back to the game!! :uhoh

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »
um yes sir
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »
Look me up... training for the 38 is free of charge. I know someone who can do it..........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
Yarbles, I have a question for you. Have you found any weakneses, or "hidden strenghs in your plane:confused:(intended to be and inocent, never try to trick you out of revealing you secrets so I [and everyone else who reads this and takes note of what is said here] can shoot you down easier, never commited a wrong, big eyed, sligtely frowny face)? And this is for the guy that said the P51 can out turn any WWII plane (I forget you name, sorry bout that), I can list quite a few that can out turn your P51, such as most if not all Jap planes, the spits, some of the Fw190's unless the have a pretty newb pilot (don't fly that series much if at all and I can't get it to out turn a P51) or the P51 has an ace pilot and I mean a real good pilot. Well see ya :aok.

<S>
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:17 AM »
As far as carrying one 1k bomb around looking for another GV to kill or finish of someones hanger, it's a very unstable way to fly a 38.

Most of those that fly the 38 for a mission in the MA tend to auger it on their initial dive, for that reason I'd say the 38 is one of the worst dive bombers in the game for those inexperienced with it.

As for furballing or flying around with 1 bomb at a time, I've been fighting guys in the MA while carrying a DT just to see how well I can do. It is not only flyable, you can fight with stuff still on the rails. The possibility of spinning it in is always there but it is made a little easier with a dual throttle.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2009, 01:31:09 AM »
Most of those that fly the 38 for a mission in the MA tend to auger it on their initial dive, for that reason I'd say the 38 is one of the worst dive bombers in the game for those inexperienced with it.

As for furballing or flying around with 1 bomb at a time, I've been fighting guys in the MA while carrying a DT just to see how well I can do. It is not only flyable, you can fight with stuff still on the rails. The possibility of spinning it in is always there but it is made a little easier with a dual throttle.

Disclaimer: The above post is by a guy who is one of the best 38 sticks in the game.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »
Some people need to expand their repertoire a bit to keep things interesting for themsleves and everyone else, to keep things in perspective, fresh, challenging.

Yes, I need to start flying a 51 or a spit so I can keep things interesting, there are so few of them in AH anyway.  :devil

One trick ponies do become a bit of a bore after ten years, don't they?

You are short changing yourself, some of the best sticks are those that have a main ride they learned AH in. Dano in his 109G14, Shane in his LA7, Lazer in the P38, and the list goes on and on. Most of the time you can take what you learned from ride to ride but you'll never get close to the edge from someone who uses that ride fulltime. I've been in a 38 for a couple of years and over a few different flight sims and I haven't learned everything this bird can do.

Disclaimer: The above post is by a guy who is one of the best 38 sticks in the game.

No I'm not, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Sgtlead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:11 AM »
I am not aiming to tell anyone what to do but it occurs to me the real skill is choosing a plane and learn to fly it well. As in learn to work around its limitations and discover any hidden strenghts. Then exploit the assumptions others make about it to your advantage by surprising people.

I fly everything, more fun that way.  I do like to take up the P40E though.  Lots of folks discount those 6 .50 cals.  Realy love to kill LA7s with it.  Flying just one plane all the time would be boring to me.
In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC

When you see that Mosquito easing up on your 6 relax.  Its just me.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2009, 02:15:19 AM »
Duno Del.. I have a hard time scoring any kills around you. :D  Sure have cleared out quite a few bardars with ya tho!  :aok

I fly everything, more fun that way.  I do like to take up the P40E though.  Lots of folks discount those 6 .50 cals.  Realy love to kill LA7s with it.  Flying just one plane all the time would be boring to me.

When you learn to push a plane to its extreme limits, it never gets boring.  Just to hear someone say "%&$#&%%^ hacker" is definately worth it.