Author Topic: LOTTERY WINNER.... Screwed  (Read 2412 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
LOTTERY WINNER.... Screwed
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
PIERRE, S.D. – If this were a movie, nobody would believe it: A rancher struggling to eke out a living in one of the poorest corners of America claimed one of the biggest undivided jackpots in U.S. lottery history Friday — $232 million — after buying the ticket in a town by the name of Winner.

Neal Wanless, 23, said he intends to buy himself more room to roam and repay the kindness other townspeople have shown his family.

Wanless bought $15 worth of tickets to the May 27 30-state Powerball drawing at a convenience store in Winner during a trip to buy livestock feed. He will take home a lump sum of $88.5 million after taxes are deducted.

Just under 62%....rounded off the government gets 144  million

For those who would say "how can he be screwed, he's got 88.5 mill" then I say to you, "maybe you think he should be receiving only 1/3 of his winnings instead.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: LOTTERY WINNER.... Screwed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »
No One wants to pay taxes but everyone wants a strong military, good roads, and good schools.

Free money is free money.  It's all perspective.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »
That's life, and the American government for you.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »
If being screwed by the government means that Ill never have to work again, where do i sign up?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd have enough trouble trying to spend $88m.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
So your glass is always half-empty eh?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline SLCR

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:37:23 PM »
If being screwed by the government means that Ill never have to work again, where do i sign up?

Screwed??

$15 "investment" = $88.5 million!  Sign me up too!

The only thing "screwed" about it, coming from one of the poorest counties in the nation, will be all freeloaders and the media bullsheet.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
Here in the Great White North there is no tax, afaik, on your lottery winnings. The next tax year is a different story.

Now you don't get the whole 'pot of gold' as the reserve (percentage) lottery money goes to fund charities, health care, sports, children's athletic programs,and the like.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:20 PM »
PIERRE, S.D. – If this were a movie, nobody would believe it: A rancher struggling to eke out a living in one of the poorest corners of America claimed one of the biggest undivided jackpots in U.S. lottery history Friday — $232 million — after buying the ticket in a town by the name of Winner.

Neal Wanless, 23, said he intends to buy himself more room to roam and repay the kindness other townspeople have shown his family.

Wanless bought $15 worth of tickets to the May 27 30-state Powerball drawing at a convenience store in Winner during a trip to buy livestock feed. He will take home a lump sum of $88.5 million after taxes are deducted.

Just under 62%....rounded off the government gets 144  million

For those who would say "how can he be screwed, he's got 88.5 mill" then I say to you, "maybe you think he should be receiving only 1/3 of his winnings instead.

Did you just hear about the lottery and how it works?  Have you just recently found out the gov't taxes income?

The advertised prize, as advertised, is for a 20 year annuity.  He could choose that, and take his prize over a 20 year period, or, fortunately, the lottery administration allows a person to take the lump sum cash that would purchase the annuity instead if they choose.  Beyond that, there are taxes to pay, no surprise to most of us.

So, welcome to the way it works.   :aok

And yeah, he is one lucky SOB.  Hands down.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline thundabooge

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »
the 232 million is only if u take the 20 yr annuity..IICR the cash lump sum for that drawing was abt 110 million..so he didnt get screwed at all
LT ThundaJB  VF-17 Jolly Rogers  Currently on R&R in Australia

You called down the Thunda, well now you've got it! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... HELL'S COMING WITH ME!!!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
Lottery's across the nation are a lot more corrupt than the 62% or in this case, the 144 mil they are taking from his winnings.

What I'm upset about is the corruption and mis use of money that never makes it to what it's intended purpose was. AWwrgwy statement is used over and over again as an excuse to take more from us to cover other peoples greed, mistakes and just furthers corruption.

As strange as it sounds, Track the taxes on a simple gallon of milk from the purchase of a cow to it's final destination, .....which might be the consumer throwing the container in the garbage to be recycled, burned or buried. It's enough money to (Take your best Guess)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
In Canada the lottery is tax free,on the otherhand,all interest incured is taxable income!

:salute

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »
It is good to see a hard working American win the big one!!!  Most of the time it is green carder who can barley speak English, from NYC!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 07:46:51 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd have enough trouble trying to spend $88m.

It's only 44 million after the divorce.
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »
Lottery's across the nation are a lot more corrupt than the 62% or in this case, the 144 mil they are taking from his winnings.

What I'm upset about is the corruption and mis use of money that never makes it to what it's intended purpose was. AWwrgwy statement is used over and over again as an excuse to take more from us to cover other peoples greed, mistakes and just furthers corruption.

As strange as it sounds, Track the taxes on a simple gallon of milk from the purchase of a cow to it's final destination, .....which might be the consumer throwing the container in the garbage to be recycled, burned or buried. It's enough money to (Take your best Guess)

They aren't taking anything from his winnings.  Buy a clue man, and read up on how the lottery works.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"