Author Topic: Hitech pros and cons of a 3rd LW arena?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Re: Hitech pros and cons of a 3rd LW arena?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
I guess this new map would be a kickback to TT of old, uncapturable bases and ords disabled around TT optional.  I think if Hitech tried this for a month it may get good numbers possibly even surpassing the Orange arena.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I think it is a great idea, but I do not think it would surpass Orange in attandance.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
We need a Milkrun Arena for the score potatoes :aok

With rainbows everywhere.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
I guess this new map would be a kickback to TT of old, uncapturable bases and ords disabled around TT optional.  I think if Hitech tried this for a month it may get good numbers possibly even surpassing the Orange arena.

I think a new map would have to be created with the TT concept in mind on a much smaller scale.  Any recycled old maps just thrown in there with the expectation that the players will 'figure it out' would be a terrible idea imo.  It does have promise though.  Kind of like a Furball Lake setup with uncapturable bases, F3 mode disabled, vehicle bases in the center with strategic landscape and balanced with counters.  For example if a tank fights his way to a hill to get the upper ground, have there be a defensive hill back behind base to be able to climb up to fire long range at him or something.  (I'm just thinking outloud here) I'm sure tankers could come up with an idea for a really good tank map. 

Then maybe you could cap the arena at 100 players at all times since it would be such a small setup.  I think this would be fun.

Or even maybe have it be a capture the flag game.  Once you get your flag back to your base, the map resets itself again.  There would have to be autobalancing population with this though.  In fact, I think capture the flag would be incredibly fun and strategic with tanks.  Planes might have to be disabled and have it be purely capture the flag with tankz, I don't know but the hamster is running on the wheel in my brain now!

You could autobalance the arena by making every tank in it Eny 3 or so, meaning that if Eny is out of whack just a little bit, you won't be able to drive your tank.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:18:16 PM by grizz441 »

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
Would be ok as long as they change certain things.

1. posted missions limited to less than 10 slots when set up from the tower.

2. radar detects NOE missions.

That will help stop the posted mass horde missions and sneaking noe's on undefended bases. keep the horde monkeys and NOE queens in the blue and orange.

maybe in a perfect world this will happen so im not holding my breathe. I expect the same ole same ole if another arena is added.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »
All very good ideas and I am not leaning any particular way, I think overall some sort of 3rd LW arena would be refreshing.  Seems like were focusing on the ground aspect of it which I like, but remember the planes, they CANNoT be excluded.

Hitech any thoughts on all of this?  I think this could be accomplished and possibly by the next update if you like the ideas.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »

Then maybe you could cap the arena at 100 players at all times since it would be such a small setup. 
While I agree with everything else you said, and I see why with a small map their would be a need for some type of CAP I bet putting it at such a low level would leave a lot of people wanting in. Or once in, just staying logged in to avoid having to deal with a CAP issue once they try and get back on.

Id love to see a map with a large furball area and a large GV area (both area's with the 3 sided triangle base set up that is in use as Ndiesel map. That would work best IMO).
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »
While I agree with everything else you said, and I see why with a small map their would be a need for some type of CAP I bet putting it at such a low level would leave a lot of people wanting in. Or once in, just staying logged in to avoid having to deal with a CAP issue once they try and get back on.

Id love to see a map with a large furball area and a large GV area (both area's with the 3 sided triangle base set up that is in use as Ndiesel map. That would work best IMO).

Yes Stodd, but my idea was that it would be a very small setting with high action.  Any more than 100 players in this small area would be bad for gameplay.  I think the premise of the idea is that it would be something on the side, not intended to take over the game.  As for people staying logged in, I also suggested in another thread that HiTech boot players that have been idle for 30-60 minutes without moving the mouse. 

Any comments on the capture the flag idea?  I'm going to make a thread in the wishlist and see where it runs.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »

Or even maybe have it be a capture the flag game.  Once you get your flag back to your base, the map resets itself again.  There would have to be autobalancing population with this though.  In fact, I think capture the flag would be incredibly fun and strategic with tanks.  Planes might have to be disabled and have it be purely capture the flag with tankz, I don't know but the hamster is running on the wheel in my brain now!

You could autobalance the arena by making every tank in it Eny 3 or so, meaning that if Eny is out of whack just a little bit, you won't be able to drive your tank.

That actually sounds fun, id love to see all these idea's tried out, at least as a short 2 week experiment. Not only does it give the "Win the map" crowd something to go for, it would also promote fights for those seeking more action. I think that is a great way to balance the teams too. :aok :aok
Stodd/ CandyMan

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
Yes Stodd, but my idea was that it would be a very small setting with high action.  Any more than 100 players in this small area would be bad for gameplay.  I think the premise of the idea is that it would be something on the side, not intended to take over the game.  As for people staying logged in, I also suggested in another thread that HiTech boot players that have been idle for 30-60 minutes without moving the mouse. 

Any comments on the capture the flag idea?  I'm going to make a thread in the wishlist and see where it runs.

Edit: I don't like a cap of 100.

I'm thinking that not allowing you to earn perks would help elude "bad gameplay" while still allowing high #'s.  Just seems the kill at all costs and milky way would not even bother coming over.

I'm still stuck on the no perky thing.  Why would a milker come over?  It would be like suckin my teeeeeeet...  Useless, unless thats what you're into.  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:22:57 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
I'm thinking that not allowing you to earn perks would help elude "bad gameplay" while still allowing high #'s.  Just seems the kill at all costs and milky way would not even bother coming over.

I'm still stuck on the no perky thing.  Why would a milker come over?  It would be like suckin my teeeeeeet.  Useless, unless thats what you're into.  :D
So what about the 3 gv's that cost perk points? That's three main battle tanks that wouldnt be in use then! Unless you allowed everything to be free, in which case you would see tons of tigers and m4's.

Allow perk points to be earned unless you can find a solution to that problem IMO.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:09:43 PM by stodd »
Stodd/ CandyMan

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »
So what about the 3 gv's that cost perk points? That's three main battle tanks that wouldnt be in use then! Unless you allowed everything to be free, in which case you would see tons of tigers and m4's.

Allow perk points to be earned unless you can find a solution to that problem IMO.

Take out perkies from this new arena.   :aok   Ill go, and Im sure a lot others would too.  You could still spend perkies, but not earn them.   That ought to keep the score potatoes out.

I still love you Billy.  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:21:09 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »
Ah I see! Woops I must of missed that. :o
Stodd/ CandyMan

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
We wouldnt be tryin to exclude anyone and removing perks would be a bad idea.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
Why not just put a TT in the DA?
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher