Author Topic: Creators Play?  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
Re: Creators Play?
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
I have shot down skuzzy once about 2 years ago, it was over tank town and he was about 1.5k in his 38 doing GV runs and I slid in behind him and gave him a familiar lesson :)
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
I totally understand that HiTech and the rest of the guys dont play much.

I work as a systems architect/developer and Ive never ever used any of the public online applications Ive been part of building. Reason isnt that they are bad, that I dont care about my customer satisfaction or my own evolution as a architect/developer. The reason is that after having spent 8-10 hours a day for months developing an application you just need to see something else.

At least I need to distance my self from my work for about 4-6 hours a day or I wount produce as well. I know that when I spend more then 10 hours a day looking at my code or the application it self my head starts to become a mess. When this happens the quality of the work I do decreases just because I see so much that needs to be done that I loose focus on whats important.

Usually when the project is under the most preasure and deadlines are approaching rapidly the best thing I can do is to never ever work more then 10 hours and when I get home do totally different things. That is how at least my production is as high as possible.

After a project is complete I dont want to use the application just because I know everything about it. I can imagine HiTech having bit of same problem he doesnt see a Online Multiplayer flight sim but rather just code and ofcourse customers (not friends). Reason to play this game is imersion of a sim and friends.

Tex

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
I am pretty sure HiTech flies under the alias "SCLawman".

I am just curious....

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
HiTech and Crew.... I can certainly see why you cannot and do not fly under your own names.  It is a shame that you are not able to fly unfettered; but clearly, too many would hit you up for one stupid comment or another (or another freakin B-29 with nooks request).

I also did not mean to stir anything up. I do understand that psychology of turning play into work... hard to go back as play.  For that I am sorry.  I do hope that at times you are able to enjoy the game as much as (most of us) do. 

The original point of the topic was to find out if any of you still fly.  I would like to think that you too partake in the game and enjoy it with us.   I was curious if I had ever met you in the cartoon skies and gotten owned.   :salute   But, since I get owned on a regular basis by so many, I can only assume by laws of averages that you have in fact pwned me.  :O    So, what kind of business practice is that... shooting down your customers!   :D

Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »
  So, what kind of business practice is that... shooting down your customers!   :D

Cathartic  :rofl

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
But when you turn a hobby into a job, a lot of the fun of the hobby is not the same.

I started playing in a professional band when I was 15.

I got into the music business when I was about 20 and spent the next 20+ years there in retail, then distribution, then Internet climbing into the executive ranks along the way.

Over that time I never lost my love for music; particularly live music.  In fact, my love and appreciation for it grew although in my 40's I wasn't able to go out clubbing until 1:30 AM or spend all night at shows every night and be at work by 8:00 or 8:30 the way I was able to in my 20's.

If the Internet hadn't fundamentally changed the industry I'd probably still be there and still be loving my hobby as a job.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
I started playing in a professional band when I was 15.

I got into the music business when I was about 20 and spent the next 20+ years there in retail, then distribution, then Internet climbing into the executive ranks along the way.

Over that time I never lost my love for music; particularly live music.  In fact, my love and appreciation for it grew although in my 40's I wasn't able to go out clubbing until 1:30 AM or spend all night at shows every night and be at work by 8:00 or 8:30 the way I was able to in my 20's.

If the Internet hadn't fundamentally changed the industry I'd probably still be there and still be loving my hobby as a job.

I have not lost enjoyment of computer games.
I have not lost enjoyment of coding.
I have not lost enjoyment of airplanes.

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
Hitech, in your opinion, will we get to a point (computing power-wise) in our lifetime where differences between real aerodynamics and their simulation will be just about negligible in a game like AH?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
Hitech, in your opinion, will we get to a point (computing power-wise) in our lifetime where differences between real aerodynamics and their simulation will be just about negligible in a game like AH?

Good question.  This game is already so far beyond my wildest dreams from when I was a kid and played MS flight sim back in the 80's.  I used to dream about just being able to play against one real person rather than AI planes.  Now we have these massive arenas and good flight modeling.  I hope I live a long time, obviously for a lot of reasons, but also just to see what these wizards come up with by and by. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

I would say they are negligible already.

But will flying a game like AH be like real life, nope missing far to many sensory inputs to be the same, and the market is not there to create the output and input devices to make them the same.

HiTech

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
hehe... how to simulate G's, a suit that has air bags all over that inflate and deflate as you pull G's. Just plug it in to a USB port. Or you could just get cheap one that constricts around your neck when you pull really hard on the stick  :O
This is a test

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
This game is already so far beyond my wildest dreams from when I was a kid and played MS flight sim back in the 80's.  I used to dream about just being able to play against one real person rather than AI planes.  Now we have these massive arenas and good flight modeling.  I hope I live a long time, obviously for a lot of reasons, but also just to see what these wizards come up with by and by. 

I agree completely.

I remember reading books about WWII aviation when I was a kid, before there were home computers, dreaming about airplanes, wishing I could fly them, thinking my kid thoughts about having been born 40 years too late.

Aces High is a wonderful miracle of wish fulfillment for me!  :aok

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »
Constricts your neck???? can you imagine the liability.

I can see the headlines.

Grape dies with hands on stick with goofy thing around his neck.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
But will flying a game like AH be like real life, nope missing far to many sensory inputs to be the same, and the market is not there to create the output and input devices to make them the same.
It is impossible to completely simulate the physical sensations of flight without actually leaving the ground.  Even full motion simulators can't give one a sustained high G maneuver. 
I am not a math or programming expert, but I have done some Finite Element Analysis.  When modeling the physical world, assumptions must be made on factors such as friction and heat transfer.  At best, these assumptions are educated guesses.  It would seem that modeling aerodynamics would also require some assumptions.  My point is the actual physical world is often too chaotic to perfectly model.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2009, 11:48:03 AM »
ROFLMAO...  :noid
This is a test