Author Topic: New Graphics = No Money from me!  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: New Graphics = No Money from me!
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 04:27:07 AM »
The picture's too small to make out what that really is, but it looks pretty close to the Atari 800XL that's sitting behind me.
It is a Comodore 64.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2009, 04:31:23 AM »
I always wondered what those looked like but never cared enough to look it up. I suppose they all came in the "somewhat white that ages to barf-tinted cream" color that seemed to be all the rage back then. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2009, 05:10:48 AM »
See Rule #4

Wait a minute. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  I thought that it was a feeling of concern. Just gas :x :rofl :x
Seriously, if your original comments were genuine, it's you opinion and you are entitled to them. We all have our likes and dislikes. Simple though, if you like it, stay. If you don't, go. Attacking the game that most all of us love is not the way to receive a warm welcome from the community at large. You opened yourself up for the barrage by doing so. Something of this nature is best handled by calling HTC directly and not billowing smoke in here. Things have happened within the game that I haven't liked over the past 40 tours or so but overall, I love it and will be playing for many years to come. I have gone from a couple single core systems to dual core, and in a few months, I'll be building a few quad systems to ensure that I'm able to handle whatever is thrown at it. What's that word . . . . . . . . . . . . . oh, evolution. Go with the flow or get back to the abacus and pickup Styx. And remember one thing that many of our fathers have told us, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Good luck on your journey. And for someone who used to do this as a job, remember, spell checking is for free.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:21:54 AM by Skuzzy »
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 05:16:48 AM »
Got me one of these...

...Zero Lag!
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2009, 05:46:26 AM »
How old is this quote?
Only reason I ask is because I heard this in a song at the end (Hollywood potato - Papa Roach) and wasn't sure where he got it from.

Its damn near ancient. I know I've been hearing it just about all my life
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »
I figure it's better to let them know now.

Looks like they've decided on a route which is obviously wrong,
tools should be dropped and time-wasting stopped before anymore
resources are dumped into a project that is doomed to fail.

High-graphics flightsims DO NOT WORK.

So.... If they can afford to lose my subscription, along with a lot of other ppl....
Good on em. Seen it happen before, don't want to watch it happen again.

-Ben

Who says you HAVE to be on max resolution? If you're only shooting at cartoon planes, turn down the resolution, and save yourself some FR. If it turned down all the way don't work for the new BETA version, then you probably need a new computer anyways.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 07:29:21 AM »
try pong, frame rates are fantastic!!!!!!!!!! :rock

Haha UT what's up sir? I love pong and the pac man woot!!!!!!
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
Who says you HAVE to be on max resolution? If you're only shooting at cartoon planes, turn down the resolution, and save yourself some FR. If it turned down all the way don't work for the new BETA version, then you probably need a new computer anyways.
Doesnt matter... In the next version he can have the game as ugly as he likes (worse than possible in current version) with more FPS than we get now.  His post's only remaining valid point is that he doesn't care what anyone replies with:
I do not want a compromise on flight for graphics.
No such thing.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »
Must have one piss poor computer or internet connection...my little dual core 2.4Ghz system with a 9600gt is getting 75 fps using the 512 graphics mode...and no lag.

As far as your assertion of high graphics flight sims not working...leads me to believe you haven't tried IL2...the graphics in there makes all of these mmofs look like arcade games...and it works very well.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
I found this game when looking for flight sims of this style.

Having purchased just about every flightsim to come out, I've come to the conclusion
that any flightsim that tries high-graphics ends up being completely unplayable.

I want a flightsim which is LOW-graphics, HIGH-flight-model.
Lag and poor frame-rates are not my priority in purchasing this game.

I will not be upgrading my computer for the new version.
I will not be running it in high-graphics mode if given the choice.
I will be taking my money elsewhere if forced into a frame-lag-fest.

-Ben

Door, hit ya... good Lord, split ya... etc, etc.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:41 AM »
Honestly, if you want to take a look at Decent graphics, look at IL2, and see how well their doing.

My only question is, how could someone spend $150 on high end stuff, and they having problems, wile I, only spent $65 on a decnet Vid card, and with out the shadowing, everything turned up, I get a solid 50 FR?
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
I found this game when looking for flight sims of this style.

Having purchased just about every flightsim to come out, I've come to the conclusion
that any flightsim that tries high-graphics ends up being completely unplayable.

I want a flightsim which is LOW-graphics, HIGH-flight-model.
Lag and poor frame-rates are not my priority in purchasing this game.

I will not be upgrading my computer for the new version.
I will not be running it in high-graphics mode if given the choice.
I will be taking my money elsewhere if forced into a frame-lag-fest.

-Ben

I see your new to the game. You can turn down the graphics now as you will be able to in the next release. Down to just about where your square can shoot down the other square.

So before you go try to have your own custom game coded and spend thousands of dollars there.... you might want to learn more about this game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »
Well,....Bye.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
I sort of feel some sympathy for the guy.

I used to buy computer equipment regularly to keep up with games.

Not so much anymore. When my expensive video card broke  a few years ago I dug one out of the pile of retired video cards and slapped it into the gaming rig. I got tired of the large monitor and downgraded to a 17 inch flat screen that was laying in the closet.

My gaming computer is still AGP. $75 would get me a video card that would easily run the Beta. $75 is a minor cost. I lose that much cash in my pockets on a weekly basis when it hits the laundry.

So where has my desire to upgrade gone to?

Well, the upgrades don't really change the game.

Fancy ground and water on a computer still looks like crap even if it is photo-realistic crap. The polygon count to make terrain look like anything remotely real from a fast moving airplane isn't achievable and won't be for a while.

And I have long believed that high polygon aircraft are wasted in a game with icons on.

The aerial fight is all I'm interested in and that isn't changing much, if at all. There are 6 arenas with essentially identical gameplay.

I am constantly amazed at how difficult it is to find a aerial fight in an arena with literally hundreds of players. After 11 PM central time it is extremely difficult to find a bandit outside the ack.

So......I guess I feel sympathy for the guy. More money for the same pig with new color lipstick. But I've been dating this pig for almost 13 years so I guess I'll plunk down my nickels if I absolutely have to. But you can be darn sure if i can milk a steady 24 frames out of a 6 year old clunker with a pre-historic video card I will not upgrade.

Whine over.

:cry