Author Topic: Dogfighting question  (Read 1788 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Dogfighting question
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »
A8E,

There's been some valuable imformation shared here,spatula and humble's in paticular,then there's been some imformation thats was not so helpful.I'd advise you to film all your flights,study these films,learn your mistakes and victories.Fight till your outta ammo or fuel or get shot down then up again and go at it.Mostly have fun,practice to improve and pick a plane to send as much time as possible in.
The training arena is there for a reason,use it to learn your chosen ride.Oh ya read as much as you can on ACM,google is your friend.

Remember,we all get shot down,it's what you learn from being shot that makes the difference!

Oh and I must repeat myself....Have Fun!

:salute

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »
I pull myself into a rolling scissors when they get on my six, while slowly backing off the throttle, until I get to a speed where I can drop at least two notches of flaps. Then, I seem to level out, just above my and their stall speed with out flaps, drop as much flaps as I can, or, if I'm in a hog, I drop a gear if I need to, shoot underneath them, and open up with my guns.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
By circumstance I had an opportunity to work with someone previously unknown to me in the TA not long ago (ardy?). We covered a lot of ground and touched on a number of diverse topics. At various points I spent some time with him in trail having him close to 600 yds or less and then trying to hit me. Initially he found it difficult if not impossible to hit me at all, as we continued he was able to manufacture an occasional snapshot ans then progress toward establishing and maintaining proper position.

While a lot of meaningful information has been presented some fundamental points have been left untouched your options on defense are dictated by your opponent (otherwise your not defensive). His plane type, speed, range and Angle off Tail (AoT) all have an impact on your options. It is impossible to have a single "move" that is successful the majority of the time. So how do the consistent killers do it?

1) They learn to manipulate the encounter to influence the behavior they want
2) They have a variety of moves that complement each other
3) They have mastered the flight envelopes of the planes they prefer to fly
4) They have learned to read an opponents lift vector and understand the range of options at any given moment
5) They always maintain sight of the opponent

All of this starts with a con 6oo yds behind you (yes ideally you won't ever let him there when it counts). By learning to manipulate and deny a foe a tracking shot (or any shot at all) you begin to learn what signs you send and what responses they generate. Over time that range of influence expands. Most of the games true killers are just as comfortable (some more so) with a bogey 1000 back as a 1000 in front. This mirrors the old adage "better a mig on my 6 then no mig at all".

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
Sometimes the best move is hardly no move at all. If the con diving on you has thought out all the possibilities he can still be thrown off with the unexpected. A simple roll to the right but don't go right will throw some off.

Do not find one thing that works once and keep doing it. Develope a bag of tricks. If a con knows your going to break right and up every time your going to be seeing a lot of the tower.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
Has anyone mention "stick stirring" long enough to stall for some time, while you wait for a cherry picker to come to your rescue? That's a popular thing I see done all the time. Quite efficient as well. Actually, if you craft the fine art of "stick stirring", you will almost never get shot down from a co E, on your six fight.

I don't play much anymore, because of "stick stirrers" and the like, but last thing I studied, years ago, when I actually did care about this game, was "cross control". If I remember correctly, you turn to the right a little bit, lift your nose into the air to the point you are about to "stall" your left wing, then use right full rudder and left full aileron. This maneuver will make your left wing stall, I think its your left wing, and makes your airplane snap right around and down toward the ground. I practiced it many times, and as far as real true to life aerodynamics go, this level of physics is indeed incorporated into this game. I can, or you can, literally "stall" a wing in this game while the other wing still has lift, and this is the fastest way to turn an airplane around, at least as far as I know. I am an idiot though, so please forgive me and keep this in mind.

Oh, I said lift your left wing in a right hand turn going up a little bit, and then use right full rudder and left full aileron, but maybe its left full rudder and right full aileron, I cant remember for sure, but I think that was correct. If you learn this move, obviously, you can do it in a left hand turn as well, lifting your right wing toward stall.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:00:16 PM by Clutz »

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
Has anyone mention "stick stirring" long enough to stall for some time, while you wait for a cherry picker to come to your rescue? That's a popular thing I see done all the time. Quite efficient as well. Actually, if you craft the fine art of "stick stirring", you will almost never get shot down from a co E, on your six fight.
Yer just bitter because you can't hit those dead fish.To kill a "stick stirrer", you don't follow them through the revolutions, but rather wait for them to make the bank, then use your aircraft's greater E to follow in a pure or lag pursuit until you get to within 200 yards. Then, you wait for them to begin the bank, and open up with your aircraft's guns, as a yanker can't roll if he wants to go in a particular direction.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X