Author Topic: A rich man's sport  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: A rich man's sport
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
To be honest I could care less if it takes them a month to fix it

:furious
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
The biggest complaint is stuttering, and its not an epidemic---sometimes guys with hotrod machines see it, sometimes guys with low end machines see it...many more in both scenarios do NOT---they will work it out soon enough
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
The biggest complaint is stuttering, and its not an epidemic---sometimes guys with hotrod machines see it, sometimes guys with low end machines see it...many more in both scenarios do NOT---they will work it out soon enough

Yes I'm sure they will but I'm not holding my breath till they do :)

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Rich man's sport?

Honestly, you could build a PC that would run AH with more than enough fps to spare for probably $350.  My tower cost me around $400 (minus monitor, mouse, mic ect) and I pull 120fps in crowded sectors.  This may be a surprise but you can't play current generation pc games on a 15 year old computer.  It's amazing how many people don't understand why and are complaining about it though.
Deviant

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »
I'm kinda surprised at this new update/version I was always under the impression that this new Aces High would be at the bare minium the equal of the old Aces High in a graphics sense and could then be adjusted to higher end and lower end machines. Now it seems a lot of people have to upgrade video cards to even get out of the blocky type graphics. The line seems to be yeah your graphics card is really low end in my case I got told it was worth $3 and the cheapest available to man  :lol which is all well and good but it did display the old graphics perfectly well despite its cheapness!

This pretty much spells the death note for me in Aces High at this moment in time moneys too tight to justify flying around in substandard graphics with no perception of depth (I've lost count of the number of times I've augered) the graphics on Falcon on my old atari st are better than what I have at the minute.

Sorry for the whine, but I think its expecting too much to expect people to buy a new video card or live with substandard late 1980s graphics especially when the old card worked just fine.  :rock

i took up r/c planes. figured it'd be cheap. not so. i own 10 planes, 3 helis, and 3 trucks.

i took up archery. figured it's be cheap. not so. i own 2 hoyt bows, a surelock target sight, a 5 pin hunting site, cases for both bows, 3 or 4 dozen arrows, and fletching equipment.

i took up ah. figured it'd be cheap. it is. i fly it on the same computer i do everything else on at home. all i had to invest in was a used stick, pedals, and throttle(all ch). it only costs me 50 cents a day. much cheaper than my other hobbies.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
I have a Wal-Mart off the shelf $600.00 computer along with the $19.95 ST-290 stick. All I did was put a GeForce 8400 card in it and it worked fine on the old AH. I had from 75 to 80 frame rate. Now I am down to 20 to 30. That is with every thing turn off that I can turn off and the graphic down all the way. The land scape looks like a 1st graders water coloring but I can play still. I am hopeful HTC will get the bugs out soon just hang in there a while.

R-105

Offline Amsoil21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
I have a Wal-Mart off the shelf $600.00 computer along with the $19.95 ST-290 stick. All I did was put a GeForce 8400 card in it and it worked fine on the old AH. I had from 75 to 80 frame rate. Now I am down to 20 to 30. That is with every thing turn off that I can turn off and the graphic down all the way. The land scape looks like a 1st graders water coloring but I can play still. I am hopeful HTC will get the bugs out soon just hang in there a while.

R-105
thats the spirit  :aok

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
I had an older packard bell tower pc which I used to play on but the kids use it as well and windows hangs non stop on it, I was over every 5 minutes trying to get it to work for them so I installed ubuntu on it which works like a charm I really don't have the time to be running around windows trying to fix it.

Its a pretty basic box with a nvidia graphics card but aces high run well on it when windows was in a good mood.

Sounds like this may be your only ticket out of the mess without having to buy a new computer. Getting AH to work on Linux is like trying to win the lottery though, so if you do decide on this your first priority should be getting Windows working on it again.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
I built a computer for just over $600 (price includes os, case, everything except keyboard and monitor), and I'm at 60fps if I leave the "self" shadows off.  The terrain and water look great.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
i took up r/c planes. figured it'd be cheap. not so. i own 10 planes, 3 helis, and 3 trucks.

i took up archery. figured it's be cheap. not so. i own 2 hoyt bows, a surelock target sight, a 5 pin hunting site, cases for both bows, 3 or 4 dozen arrows, and fletching equipment.

i took up ah. figured it'd be cheap. it is. i fly it on the same computer i do everything else on at home. all i had to invest in was a used stick, pedals, and throttle(all ch). it only costs me 50 cents a day. much cheaper than my other hobbies.  :aok

Well yeah that is expensive but example of the sport I play football (thats soccer) a ball, your mates cost zip  :lol

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »

R-105

hey dude.....saw ya in mw last night......bout time you guys came in there!!!

anyway..do a search here on the bbs.....there was a thread in the general discussion forum on making the lower end computers work nicely, and still have some of the eye candy.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
Well yeah that is expensive but example of the sport I play football (thats soccer) a ball, your mates cost zip  :lol

But are you including the post game beer in your cost equation?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
aahh....you guys don't wear 50 pounds of padding do yas?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
My system is about a year old now. Spent ~5000 USD on it, well worth it if you ask me.  :D

2560x1600 resolution is hard to beat.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »
But are you including the post game beer in your cost equation?

My bodys a temple!  :D  :lol