Author Topic: A rich man's sport  (Read 1460 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
A rich man's sport
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »
I'm kinda surprised at this new update/version I was always under the impression that this new Aces High would be at the bare minium the equal of the old Aces High in a graphics sense and could then be adjusted to higher end and lower end machines. Now it seems a lot of people have to upgrade video cards to even get out of the blocky type graphics. The line seems to be yeah your graphics card is really low end in my case I got told it was worth $3 and the cheapest available to man  :lol which is all well and good but it did display the old graphics perfectly well despite its cheapness!

This pretty much spells the death note for me in Aces High at this moment in time moneys too tight to justify flying around in substandard graphics with no perception of depth (I've lost count of the number of times I've augered) the graphics on Falcon on my old atari st are better than what I have at the minute.

Sorry for the whine, but I think its expecting too much to expect people to buy a new video card or live with substandard late 1980s graphics especially when the old card worked just fine.  :rock

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: A rich man's sport
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:15:14 AM »
Most hobbies require some investment of time and/or money.

How much you are willing to invest all depends on how serious one is about their hobby.

Sometimes investing a little more time can be equal to money.

Use Craig's list, or hell, even post questions here.

I'm sure there are players in the community that have upgraded their equipment just to make their rig scream (not just to run this particular game) that may be willing to part with an older Video card that is better than the one you have.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
If I remember correctly from an other thread you posted, your using some Sony laptop. Unfortunately, this is a bad situation for yourself because besides for RAM laptops are completely non-upgradeable due to there integrated nature. Few laptops are made for gaming, and even the ones that are will never be able to compete with their desktop counter-parts. It's ashame when someone runs into this situation as there is no hope for the computer, but at the same time I can't blame HTC because an upgrade in the graphics had to be made eventually.

The best route I could see now is to ask you if you have any other computers in the house. Even if it's kinda old I've been surprised at what can run this game in spite of the graphics update. If you do have one, a DX Diag would be a nice first start and there are plenty of threads to help you get a computer in shape for the game.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »
A rich man's sport? Are you serious?! Go to your nearest golfer club and see how far you get for whatever you originally paid for that PC you have. It's all relative I guess. I think this is a low-cost hobby if you check the $$$/hr rate. Pretty much any hobby there is out there is more expensive than gaming.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:31:12 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:41:10 AM »
 My computer cost less than a $1000. 60 FR. 12,000+ 3dmark score. Its primarily for AH and other flying games. When you consider dinner and a movie will cost you and your other half a hundred bucks, spending a less than a grand plus $15 bucks a month for continuous entertainment..not bad. And if you take your wife an kids to a ball game? How much is that now? $250.
 Most people have a computer that they use for mulitple tasks. Some of of here have dedicated computers for the game to be sure. But if you like playing games offline, the requirements are higher than AH. Cost average all the things you do with your computer its probably not that expensive.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
Ever since their introduction to the home, computers have required replacement or upgrade every 2-3 years in order to stay current with new software.  It's been that way since the early 80's.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »
Ever since their introduction to the home, computers have required replacement or upgrade every 2-3 years in order to stay current with new software.  It's been that way since the early 80's.

+1

HTC has been more than accommodating.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
I guess peoples main whine is why change the graphics at all. To me it seems they "upgraded" to graphics that are still sub-standard in the industry any way. So the question is why would you "upgrade" at all. The people who are attracted by graphics are still going to be disappointed and the people who it doesn't matter to would still not care. So what was the point? I would have been happy with more planes or GV's.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »
 :rofl  I got my 1997 Dell to run the game yesterday.  You could probably find one like it on ebay for $15-25.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »
:rofl  I got my 1997 Dell to run the game yesterday.  You could probably find one like it on ebay for $15-25.

I run the game fine. It doesn't matter that you can run the game it what ground detail. It looks like a hexagon forest down there. Very hard to judge the distance between you and the ground.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »

Read what I wrote properly I can still run the game, what do you want a cookie for getting your dell to work?  :D

A rich man's sport? Are you serious?! Go to your nearest golfer club and see how far you get for whatever you originally paid for that PC you have. It's all relative I guess. I think this is a low-cost hobby if you check the $$$/hr rate. Pretty much any hobby there is out there is more expensive than gaming.

Oh good comparison no Golf isn't in anyway an expensive sport at all is it?  :rolleyes:

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »

+1

HTC has been more than accommodating.
+ 2

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
The only problem I still see if the st st st sutteringggg I spent 180$ upgrading and graphics are good, I'm sure one of these patches will help.  I dont even feel like playing until I stop seeing the stuttering complaints everywhere.

To be honest I could care less if it takes them a month to fix it I need to spend less time on this game anyway.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
If I remember correctly from an other thread you posted, your using some Sony laptop. Unfortunately, this is a bad situation for yourself because besides for RAM laptops are completely non-upgradeable due to there integrated nature. Few laptops are made for gaming, and even the ones that are will never be able to compete with their desktop counter-parts. It's ashame when someone runs into this situation as there is no hope for the computer, but at the same time I can't blame HTC because an upgrade in the graphics had to be made eventually.

The best route I could see now is to ask you if you have any other computers in the house. Even if it's kinda old I've been surprised at what can run this game in spite of the graphics update. If you do have one, a DX Diag would be a nice first start and there are plenty of threads to help you get a computer in shape for the game.

I had an older packard bell tower pc which I used to play on but the kids use it as well and windows hangs non stop on it, I was over every 5 minutes trying to get it to work for them so I installed ubuntu on it which works like a charm I really don't have the time to be running around windows trying to fix it.

Its a pretty basic box with a nvidia graphics card but aces high run well on it when windows was in a good mood.