Author Topic: updated base defenses  (Read 1828 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: updated base defenses
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
Swing and a miss.  Strike one.

from Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 1 - Episode 01

wrongway

and of course if they should get past that, then we could reinforce with the spanish inquisition, and the killer rabbits.

no one would ever get through with all of that defense.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »
how many lbs ord equivalent is a Holy Handgrenade? seems to be missing from the Projectile Strength Analysis page...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 08:59:56 AM »
If any defense line should be built, it should be in the perimeter of the base. The only idea that I like, Nemisis, is the trenches. With trenches, the defending GVers can slide up in them for additional cover. Of course, dont make the trenches completely surrounding the base because the enemy GVs wont have a chance of getting in the base. Have trenches broken up and staggered. Leave some gaps open so attacking GVs have a fair chance to breach through the defenses.

Now I am no GVer, but I can say that all of the auto-gun/ack is just going to kill the fun for the GVers out there.

I wonder if anyone had suggested having a vehicle, or some feature to the game that has mortar fire?  :D

I don't GV but indirect fire doesn't seem to feature in the game much. It'd be cool if it did. That way you could hide a spotter and have some other clown call in IF on a target. Think of some of the weaponry that would thus become useful: Wespe, Hummel, the US SP 105s and 155s... not to mention the Stalin Organ and Sdkfz w/Nebelwerfer... and mortars, of course.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
how many lbs ord equivalent is a Holy Handgrenade? seems to be missing from the Projectile Strength Analysis page...

The Holy Handgrenade is equivelant to the B-25's 1000'b bombs with the 5 sec fuse. The only real differance is it has a 4 sec fuse, and 1000lbs of explosives is packed into a 16oz grenade.

And you know what Cap1 is right. We should have those demonic rabbits. Then we would be invincible untill they add the holy handgrenade.

OK, so lets hammer out the defenses. Trenches that can let gv's drive into them, leaving only the turret and top 1/4 of the hull vulnerable. And entrencments. It would be a patch of ground slightly bigger than a tank, dug into the ground about 4' and with dirt piled up on 3 sides protecting up to about 1/2 way up the hull. No wall of AP rounds, what do you guys think of 1 37mm cannon every 2k, and 1 50mm cannon every 3k? the 50mm will be about 1k behind the trenches. Or more if you want. How do you guys feel about auto M8's?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:27:06 PM by Nemisis »
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
The Holy Handgrenade is equivelant to the B-25's 1000'b bombs with the 5 sec fuse. The only real differance is it has a 4 sec fuse, and 1000lbs of explosives is packed into a 16oz grenade.

And you know what Cap1 is right. We should have those demonic rabbits. Then we would be invincible untill they add the holy handgrenade.

OK, so lets hammer out the defenses. Trenches that can let gv's drive into them, leaving only the turret and top 1/4 of the hull vulnerable. And entrencments. It would be a patch of ground slightly bigger than a tank, dug into the ground about 4' and with dirt piled up on 3 sides protecting up to about 1/2 way up the hull. No wall of AP rounds, what do you guys think of 1 37mm cannon every 2k, and 1 50mm cannon every 3k? the 50mm will be about 1k behind the trenches. Or more if you want. How do you guys feel about auto M8's?

All the more reason for indirect fire weapons... After all, a 155mm shell, even of the HE variety, can do considerable damage to a tank, even hull down, if lobbed in accurately.

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »
Well of course it would. But that is not what this thread is about. I was looking for feedback about how good an idea this is.

So trench lines are good, not sure about entrenchments. I don't want to leave the trenches undefended though. So tell me what a realistic distance between guns would be. I don't gv a lot, so I wouldn't know.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
God, I love that part. I also like the trojan rabbit.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »
i got it!!!!!! from another thread!!!!!!!

are ya ready for this? this is almost guaranteed to protect any base indefinitely!!!!!

TOLL BOOTHS. [/size][/size][/font][/color]

:rofl :rofl :noid :rofl :rofl :noid :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »
Well of course it would. But that is not what this thread is about. I was looking for feedback about how good an idea this is.

So trench lines are good, not sure about entrenchments. I don't want to leave the trenches undefended though. So tell me what a realistic distance between guns would be. I don't gv a lot, so I wouldn't know.

Yes, but IF weapons ARE ENTIRELY RELEVANT to the idea of base defenses. Indeed, if you study Wehrmacht tactics on the Eastern front, you'll find they almost always practiced a defense in depth. The infantry would form the front, of course, manning those trenches of which you're fond and closely supported with AT and other direct fire weapons. At some depth, they'd then array their IF weapons, be they field haubitzes or mobile artillery (the excellent tracked Wespes and Hummels I've mentioned). Then, they'd hold what armor they had in reserve to counterpunch any Russian armored penetrations.

I just don't see how you can ignore an entire class of relevant weaponry when formulating your base defense plan.

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »
Why no auto panzers? It would be like having an auto 75mm. Besides the panzers gun can't penetrate tiger and ?new T-34 frontal armor unless I am mistaken. BTW does that mean you like all the rest or just up untill the auto panzer?

First post with my new machine!!!

No auto panzers or anything of the sort.  If people want trenches, then there should be addition of AT guns that can be spawned only into town or trenches, such as the German 88, the Russian 76.2mm, the American 76mm, and the British 2lber.  Now, this is only if trenches were incorporated...or maybe just town?
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline RaptorL

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
I like the idea, but why not have some guns that can be manned, and machine gun emplacement's. And another thing. the problem i have with auto guns is when your in a gv and you get to a certain distance from the auto guns they automatically know where you are even if your behind a thicket of trees. what if the auto guns would scan the terrain and would pick up on motion and sound of the gv like a actual person. and would do like one or two shots for ranging the target. and the auto guns would adjust its aiming to hone in on the target, giving some gv's a chance to do the same.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:00:41 PM by RaptorL »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
. what if the auto guns would scan the terrain and would pick up on motion and sound of the gv like a actual person. and would do like one or two shots for ranging the target. and the auto guns would adjust its aiming to hone in on the target, giving some gv's a chance to do the same.

now THAT is one of the coolest ideas i've seen yet.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
I said all guns would be mannable...or at least intended to say that, but forgot.

OK, could the people in charge of adding stuff tell me if we could or couldn't have the things on this list incorperated into a defense line?

-trenches to stop jeeps and scout cars
-AT ditches infront of the trenches to slow armor down, but not stop it. And American .50's in the trenches to stop infintry if someone drops infinty on the trenches
-30mm, and 37mm cannons spread out along trenches after 15 mins
-50mm AT gun after half an hour
-American 76mm AT gun, or british 2 pounder after 45 mins
-German 88mm AT/AA guns, or MAYBE American 105's after 1 hr
-Guns that, like RaptorL said, look, and listen for GV's like a soldier would, and then fire a few ranging shots before finding the range. Maybe it would have the range down to within 1k, or maybe .5k?
-All guns are auto guns, but can be mannable.

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »
Swing and a miss.  Strike one.

from Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 1 - Episode 01

wrongway

GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil