Author Topic: Water sucks again...  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
Re: Water sucks again...
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you have bump mapping on or off? If I'm not mistaken it defaulted to on a couple of patches ago and wouldn't remember being 'off', this was fixed in 7 or 8. Thus I'm thinking it may have turned off for some people in 7 or 8 and they didn't realize it/ didn't know it was there, and are thinking HTC changed something with the low detail terrain when they really didn't.

I have had everything off since the first release, but have "detail" (trees, etc...don't remember if that's the correct term) set out as far as possible.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
I have had everything off since the first release, but have "detail" (trees, etc...don't remember if that's the correct term) set out as far as possible.
In which case bump mapping would have been turned on theoretically in, I think it was 5 or 6 when the 'on by default' bug worked its way in. Try turning it on again, from what I understand it doesn't really hit your FR much.
On at least one of the patches, there was depth perception at low resolution. Right now, there is no depth perception on low resolution.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

THAT is poetry in motion and perfect!   Thanks Rangah!    :t
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »
Probably one of those who painted a dot on their screen with moms eyeliner to use wirbles more efficiently  :D

Mom's eyliner!~  Darn good idea.   The boiled egg bit worked well for a few hours then got dry and fell off.  Wish I'd thought of eyeliner before I took my pocket knife and etched a bore site on my CRT.  :D

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »
If you have bump mapping turned of with non detailed terrain then you would not have much depth perception. Run with bump mapping on. Depth perception is why it is there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
KPH measures the time in the air...if you tell me you're walking away and forgetting you're flying your fighter, well, AFK = A Free Kill...

Funny but I rarely get killed that way but it does mean I am airborn and not fighting for a bit. I have run out of fuel way off the map and crashed on ocassion.  :lol My 38 has long legs so that is saying a lot.

PS Take HiTech's advice.... I hear he knows some about the game  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:27:31 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
Funny but I rarely get killed that way but it does mean I am airborn and not fighting for a bit. I have run out of fuel way off the map and crashed on ocassion.  :lol My 38 has long legs so that is saying a lot.

PS Take HiTech's advice.... I hear he knows some about the game  ;)

And yet, you average twice the KPH as my best buddy Karaya, thus proving he is doing almost nothing when he flies a fighter, despite his claims of great SA, etc.

Yes, flew with "bump mapping" (not sure why it's called that, other than it's, well, bumpy...) on last night. Was better, though my FPS did get into the 20's on occasion. I know HiTech has their hands full, and they probably always will as they try to improve the game.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
A bump map is a simple image that, depending on its varying color (or shade, usually), is processed into a bumpy surface on an object. Using one doesn't generally provide the precise visual quality of actually modeling the object to have the bumps directly in it, but it severely reduces the amount of overall video processing that's needed for the effect and the amount of physical disk space needed to store the object.

I'll steal a bit from Wikipedia to explain it.
Take this simple sphere:

add this bump map to it:

and get this resulting object:

It takes much less space overall to store a single-mathematical-equation-generated sphere and a picture than it does to have a shape with thousands of mathematically derived dents in it, is all. :) That's my understanding.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:07:15 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.