Author Topic: Lend a hand  (Read 2372 times)

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
Re: Lend a hand
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
I think lending a hand is a good idea, and I can tell you that SEraider has done so with me a number of times for no reason other than he simply want to. The other issue Moot was talking about help me understand a few things about ah gameplay I was missing. I can tell you from personal knowledge that flight in this game and real flight do not compare. In fact if you flew a real plane the way many do in here your brains would be spread all over the inside of your cock pit. G force is a squeak! Also when I get killed in this game I don't actually die, I get a fresh plane and a new shot at the guys  who just shot me down. If you want a high score then you can get one by understanding the features of this cartoon world and using them to your advantage. If you want to defend base being attacked in force then you get an endless supply of fresh Zeros. Basically if you are smilng when you hit the quit button you had a good night in the friendly skies. When givin the chance choose to help players who fly your style at least and pay attention to Widewing!!!   

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
It's the rare noob that actually asks for help, beyond "how do I fly?".  I'm in the TA daily so I know.  It's normally the ones that have a little time in that hit a wall in their improvement that ask for help.  Or the vets that want to learn a new aircraft or tactic.  Or like me that are trying to improve upon a given aircraft. 

:salute
BigRat

I think some need to get a little experience under their belt before thay can even comprehend what a trainer can teach them.

So do you spend time in the T/A, or get some time in the M/A so you can determine what you most need to work on?

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
I think it depends.  Probably both at the same time. 

My advice for n00bs are to leave stall limiter on for the 1st 6 months, then turn it off.  I know some would say turn it off from day 1, but i'm afraid that the game would become too frustrating for those trying to test envelopes of planes, stalling out, then getting frustrated.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
I prefer starting them off without stall limiter. If they require stall limiter you don't want them on it too long. It will instill some very bad habits. Habits that take a long time to break.

Stall limiter will simply make them ham fisted.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »
I've been playing for 6months and I can tell you going to the DA with the top tier players has helped me leaps and bounds.  Rud3boi, grizz, sunsfan have all spent some time in the DA with me, but honestly I didn't really understand what they were trying to teach me until lately.  I've watched films by m00t, shreck, agent360 and ate up all I could.  But the best teacher is definately experience, knowing when to chop throttle or when to set up your reversal are very hard things to try to teach someone.  I've spent nights in the DA just getting into vertical scissors and trying to better understand how in the hell they flip their planes over so quickly.  More time with you stick in your hands (as long as you apply yourself) the better you will be in my opinion.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »
  More time with you stick in your hands (as long as you apply yourself) the better you will be in my opinion.

I'm surprised I'm not better already.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »
 For me there are just too many people now. I cant remember everyone like in the old days. A little bit of the feeling of playing against real people is lost and everyone becomes a number. If HTC were to play a trick on us and fill 1/2 the arena with AI planes with fake names, I bet few of us would know the difference.

~AoM~

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »
I'm surprised I'm not better already.

I see now i should have phrased it differently!
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 12:27:56 AM »
I prefer starting them off without stall limiter. If they require stall limiter you don't want them on it too long. It will instill some very bad habits. Habits that take a long time to break.

Stall limiter will simply make them ham fisted.

I've been playin with the stall limiter on ever since I started,I may as well try without it now,now that I know about it,haha

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
My advice for n00bs are to leave stall limiter on for the 1st 6 months, then turn it off.  I know some would say turn it off from day 1, but i'm afraid that the game would become too frustrating for those trying to test envelopes of planes, stalling out, then getting frustrated.

The contrary view is that they should simply move on to another game if they expect to be good from the start.  This is a hard game to learn.  That means you're going to lose all of your fights for quite a long while as you learn.  If you aren't prepared to go through that boot camp phase, you probably aren't going to enjoy the game.

Disclaimer:  the views expressed herein are those of Oldman, and only of Oldman. 

- oldman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
k/d is an important tool to mesure skill, even when you are semi skilled and fight loosing fights like I often do your k/d should be over 2.0, or you did get vulched a lot of times. Hit% is a great indicator too, I'd like to see stats on that :)

as a sidenote, top pyramid guys should organise trainings to complete their domination  :t

As you get better, getting training is more diffcult so enjoy your noob time  :D M00t I need training btw, I tried improving my engine control since the last time you kicked me butt in the DA !

now posting as SirNuke

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »
Disclaimer:  the views expressed herein are those of Oldman, and only of Oldman.  

- oldman

Hate to say it sir, but that statement is inaccurate...  I happen to know someone who shares those views, so they're not only yours.  You'll just have to share!   :aok

I think it's great that so many in here are willing to help others enjoy the game, by helping them learn the various aspects.  There's so much to learn, and so few that are willing and able to teach.

When it comes to the stall limiter, etc, I can say from experience that it's often more difficult to teach someone the "right" way to do things, when habits have already been formed by doing things the "wrong" way.

Specifically with the stall limiter, I've had several lessons that were basically "wasted" because someone came to me to learn better combat skills, and I found they had the limiter enabled and had been using it for some time.  Right away, on the first merge, it's obvious what's going on, and they'll never be able to compete at the level they're striving for with the limiter enabled.  I explain, and they disable it.  Merge #2, and guess what, they're flopping into the ground, because they have habits already formed.  They don't know how to fly the "edge", and don't know how to recover when they step across it.

At that point, we're no longer looking at learning "advanced" combat, but are back to basics, with the person just following me around, learning the edge, and learning to recover.  That's ok, I'll work with pretty much any skill level lower or equal to my own, but it sure feels like a big step backward, instead of the anticipated step forward.  And how long will it take to become comfortable with the absence of the limiter?  And when can we re-schedule a meeting?

It's even worse when we do re-schedule, and I immediately find that my student has re-enabled the limiter, because he/she was having too much difficulty with it disabled.  Now what?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:09 AM »

K/D- It does show the distributions of kills (which you'd mostly get from having more skill), to deaths (which you definitely can best avoid thanks to skill). 

Some will not agree, however this information is a piece, a crumb of the whole picture of the community.
I don't believe that K/D is a measure of skill, it simply states a ratio and does not reflect purely skill.

If you believe this information to be absolute, than you must also use the K/D to measure other things, say timidness in fighting, fly in a horde only, sacrifices the lesser skilled more often than not for the kill, fly high above the perch, will not mix it up, and many more imaginative assertions.

IMO

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
Some will not agree, however this information is a piece, a crumb of the whole picture of the community.
I don't believe that K/D is a measure of skill, it simply states a ratio and does not reflect purely skill.

If you believe this information to be absolute, than you must also use the K/D to measure other things, say timidness in fighting, fly in a horde only, sacrifices the lesser skilled more often than not for the kill, fly high above the perch, will not mix it up, and many more imaginative assertions.

IMO

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
  But the best teacher is definately experience.

:aok      :salute