Author Topic: Spit 16 observations (much ado about nothing)  (Read 2582 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Spit 16 observations (much ado about nothing)
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
When you first start playing this game you want to dogfight, because that is the ultimate shooting experience, so you choose a spitfire.

Maybe the spit 8 as recommended in some of the trainers files. Then perhaps a trainer tells you the 16 is more competitive in the M/As.

You learn that you can get some kills but usually get killed by better pilots because your gunnery, acm and s/a suck.

Then you have to fly a spit 8 or 9 because of eny or a seafire off a carrier and you can get some kills but usually get killed by better pilots because your gunnery, acm and s/a suck.

The 16 is not a magic plane that turns a noob into the red baron, you would have to be a fairly decent pilot in the first place to be able to utilize it's advantages and would probably have the perkies to afford it, were it perked.

I started flying the the 8, 9 and seafire much more now because I find I do about as well and folks are less likely to think any kills I get should have an asterisk next to them.

As bad as I am, I have managed to kill a couple of 16's.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spit 16 observations (much ado about nothing)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
Yup, sounds pretty accurate.

People like to use the Spit XVI as an excuse as to why they didn't really lose, i.e. put an asterisk on the death.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
A spit is a spit. We used them in H2H for the new folks to get their feet wet and to get a little confidence. While a couple are a little less forgiving... they are all forgiving as far as mistakes go.

Nothing wrong with flying a spit. When and if you want to fly another bird you'll feel your starting all over again.

I have little problems killing spits of any flavor..... but facts are facts.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
A6M5 's also easily out turn SPIT 16's  in slow speed turn fights.    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
Yup, sounds pretty accurate.

People like to use the Spit XVI as an excuse as to why they didn't really lose, i.e. put an asterisk on the death.

Quoted for truth.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »
Actually, the game does put an asterisk of sorts on every XVI I kill by giving me more perks than if I had killed a Spit 8, even if it's a first-day noob flying it. :t
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
A6M5 's also easily out turn SPIT 16's  in slow speed turn fights.    :aok

A6M2 out turns 'em all, but unfortunately my deceased grandmother is faster and the A6M2 explodes if another pilot sneezes within 1K of it.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
How well or poorly the average player does in a given airplane is evidence of little except what a Herculean labor the trainers have in front of them. I could post film after film of Spits going down to a P-38, but it would demonstrate little other than the fact that many Spits are being flown with almost incredible incompetence.

Jimson, not to be elitist, but if, for instance, right off the top of your head can't tell me the difference between turn rate and turn radius, nose-to-tail vs. nose-to-nose turning, and the implications thereof, you aren't at a point where you can actually make intelligent comparisons between the various models in AHII.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »
Good post Jimson. I feel the same way about the 51. Folks my make fun of her but she can get the job done with style. Like a well flown spitty. Fly it well sir  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Sc00ter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
A6M2 out turns 'em all, but unfortunately my deceased grandmother is faster and the A6M2 explodes if another pilot sneezes within 1K of it.

Zero out turns I16's or the Brewster too?    :confused:
No Fat Chicks on this Sc00ter

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
How well or poorly the average player does in a given airplane is evidence of little except what a Herculean labor the trainers have in front of them. I could post film after film of Spits going down to a P-38, but it would demonstrate little other than the fact that many Spits are being flown with almost incredible incompetence.

Jimson, not to be elitist, but if, for instance, right off the top of your head can't tell me the difference between turn rate and turn radius, nose-to-tail vs. nose-to-nose turning, and the implications thereof, you aren't at a point where you can actually make intelligent comparisons between the various models in AHII.

True, and that was my point. Everyone knows the Spit 16 has a better roll rate, but can a noob really use that to his advantage as much as an "elitist" could.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:46 PM »
Good post Jimson. I feel the same way about the 51. Folks my make fun of her but she can get the job done with style. Like a well flown spitty. Fly it well sir  :salute

Teh 51 is teh suxxor
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »

I think that's just a bit harsh, not to mention inaccurate.  You don't need to be an expert on ACM terms to see and experience the differences in the way different planes fly.

Jimson is on the right path, the one most of us have taken.  You start with planes that help compensate for your inexperience.  As your experience grows, you move on to planes that offer more of a challenge.

- oldman

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
I think that's just a bit harsh, not to mention inaccurate.  You don't need to be an expert on ACM terms to see and experience the differences in the way different planes fly.

Jimson is on the right path, the one most of us have taken.  You start with planes that help compensate for your inexperience.  As your experience grows, you move on to planes that offer more of a challenge.

- oldman

No, actually he is proving my point. The performance differences in various models of spitfires can be lost on someone like me. I cannot effectively use to my advantage, the better characteristics of the 16 over the 8.

Anyone who can, has some skill and would be able to fly a "lesser" spit with success as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:26:29 PM by jimson »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
I think that's just a bit harsh, not to mention inaccurate.  You don't need to be an expert on ACM terms to see and experience the differences in the way different planes fly.

Jimson is on the right path, the one most of us have taken.  You start with planes that help compensate for your inexperience.  As your experience grows, you move on to planes that offer more of a challenge.

- oldman

Nope, knowing these principles is all important if you want to compare plane performance. And when it comes to things like the example I gave (the difference between rate and radius and the implications thereof), they just are not the sort of thing  people just grasp intuitively that I have seen.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."