Author Topic: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...  (Read 26363 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
Do you realize what a single 50 cal round bouncing around could do?   
not only that, but the only way to take out the turret is attack it from above. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
... after it was nerfed to the ground!

That's all.

You expected it to fly?

(Sorry if someone got to that before me, I didn't read past the O.P.)
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2010, 01:38:18 AM »
osti the only thing worth uppin now,
wirb is a junk heap now.
    not sure what happened but last update makes it lagg when the trigger is pulled.

im just sayin...

froger
frogs are people too

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
not sure what happened but last update makes it lagg when the trigger is pulled

I'd bet money you run on onboard sound or an ancient sound card. You also use a custom soundpack.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
I'd bet money you run on onboard sound or an ancient sound card. You also use a custom soundpack.

:huh  I run an ancient sound card and I have problems with my ping......Hmmm think I'm going to check into getting a new one.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2010, 03:00:04 AM »
A new sound card won't help your ping. It will tend help sound related stutters, which is what he's describing. His game minifreezes when the sound for the gun firing is called.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:09:40 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
Wirbelwind seems fine to me.  :aok  The lag is most likely machine or "too many guys in one place" related.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »
When one .50 cal round takes out the turret.
doubtful is was just one .50 round.  Since it has an open turret, a burst of well placed .50's would have likely immobilized any operators.  The turret was way to fast anyway, and it is still very effective, just as in RL back in WWII....if a plane is too low, it will be toast.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
osti the only thing worth uppin now,
wirb is a junk heap now.
Well, imagine that . . . The Ostwind was the upgrade from the Wirby.  The game imitates life after all.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Ramon

• Copper Member
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
If the turret needs to be moved faster you can augment/reduce effective traverse speed by running in 1st gear.  Turn the vehicle in the direction you need.  Adds in another aiming factor though, which is a little hard to get used to.  But it also makes you harder to hit.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
If the turret needs to be moved faster you can augment/reduce effective traverse speed by running in 1st gear.  Turn the vehicle in the direction you need.  Adds in another aiming factor though, which is a little hard to get used to.  But it also makes you harder to hit.

Until you run into something.  :)
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
Wirbelwind seems fine to me.  :aok  The lag is most likely machine or "too many guys in one place" related.
Especially when you sit about 3k off the runway and pop them when they come over your head :D :cheers:
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
Thanks ooz,
   I'LL look in to it. somewhere down the line my sound messed up and like the last 5 comps,
i shut down the o/b sound and installed a simple sound blaster.
 always helped the sound out in the past. looks like i will try it on this one now.

:salute    froger
frogs are people too

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2013, 02:25:16 AM »
First off let me say I was considering starting a new thread :headscratch: Then decided to continue with this one as it seems to be the in the same vain on a number of points I would like to pursue. So my apologies for reserecting a thread from several years ago.

Of late just for fun I have been using the Ostwind a fair bit & it is one of the few platforms in AHII that I seem fairly competent at. The gun to me is some what like the manned soft guns at bases just not as accurate & can't reach out & touch some one like the soft manned gun can.

The one thing I think that we all can agree on is that the turret is of course very easy to disable with just a few well placed rounds. I would agree with this. :aok Since we don't have cartoon soldiers in Ostwind's & Wirbelwind's to replicate a disabled gun due to a non functioning crew. So to have the smoking turret is a fairly decent way to represent wounded & dead crewmen & a damaged gun platform.

The one thing I noticed of late is that after the gun is knocked out the Wirbel or Osti will eventually explode from enough 50 cals after a few passes from aircraft. I have also heard enough people complain over the years that 50 cals should not explode a flack Panzer on the BBS & in game while playing. So I decided to find out a little more on this issue. Can these two vehicles be destroyed by bullets alone in a real flack Panzer during WWII?

There is a few books about these platforms & one really stands out & there is a couple that have a few pages dedicated to the vehicles in question. All the books are done by reputable authors that did a lot of research & came up with the conclusions that they did. The one problem that I have is they don't all match each other on certain points. :eek: So the question is who is right? Frankly I don't know & I have no bias as to who is correct. The one document I would like to see is the German manual mentioned earlier in this thread. Reason being if this is the document presented to the crews of these vehicles I would think they are most likely to be the most accurate since your asking your troops to risk life & limb in it to fight for your country. Sadly I have not found such a document to date.

So lets start with our AHII flack Panzer's & address can these vehicles be destroyed with bullets alone.

Here is a screen shot of the turret floor of the Ostwind. This is view you wont see much while playing because you would not be looking down at all while in play.

The Wirbel is not that different.

As you can see in the screen shots there is a void that extends in to the body of the tank. Now actual Ostwind information is very hard to come by there is few photos & near no surviving documents & no actual Ostwind's left after the war. So most books are a little vague about this platform & they say as such in the books.
I did find a photo of an old Ostwind turret photo & you can see it below.

As you can see a very large hole with no plate at all protecting the inside of the Panzer like in the AHII screen shot. Plus a very narrow surface area for the crew to step on when needed.

Now there is no surviving Ostwind chassis I will use photos from the only two surviving Wirbelwind's as they were supposed to be very similar in regards to the mounting of the turret to the chassis.

Now in this picture the quad gun of the Wirbel is clamped in to place.

Just to give you an idea off the gun this picture from WWII shows a portable platform.

When you look at line drawings they clearly show a very large hole around the guns.

So the question is now how deep is the recess of that hole around the guns
& why would you have such huge gaps in your armour?
Answer is all the way to the bottom of the tank.
The picture in the middle shows the top of the transmission.

Second part of the answer is here in these images.

On the left & right near the loaders is the magazine racks as mentioned by Lusche in this thread & some how I don't think 3200 rounds will fit in those two racks. The area below the gun is clearly to store the magazines & a crewman had to be below handing the magazines to the loaders above.

In one of the books it mentions that flack panzer's were sent to ground armour units to protect them from attacking aircraft. Those same aircraft made it a point to get rid of the flacks first after they were gone the rest of the unit was meat on the table nothing really to stop them.

As seen by these photos they did try & hide them as much as possible.

So the chances are of a attacking aircraft seeing them would be slim until they were fired upon & the tracers could be seen giving away there position. At that point after they were sighted I would imagine they would drop bombs rockets & shoot with anything they had.

With all that ammunition stored below & a big hole for bullets to bounce about in and explode & start a possible fire. :headscratch: I would say yes a flack Panzer could be destroyed by a few well placed bullets.

So I think HTC has it right with the damage model on these two platforms. :aok

Enough for now more to come on other issues later.