Author Topic: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...  (Read 26383 times)

Offline nickel5

• Zinc Member
Re: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
LOL

that looks like nkl5!!!!!

==<--O--O-->==
 :rofl :rofl

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
It's a good concession considering the changes they made to the BENEFIT of the Wirble. IIRC, it was impossible to sustain fire from all four guns until you ran out of ammo because it was magazine-fed, and those magazines were hand-loaded. The only way to get a constant stream of fire was to only fire one pair of guns at a time, so the loader could swap out the magazines of the pair that wasn't currently firing. If the gunner fired all four guns at once he'd have to pause so they could be reloaded.

That's not a problem at all for our Wirble, which is a quad-barreled hose of death.

The Wirble can have its historical range if HTC implements the reload limitation above.

The magazines really could be changed out fast though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ugZhqz4AQUk&NR=1
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:48:07 PM by lyric1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »
And gives it the gunsight it was originally shipped with. Both osti and wribel.

The dilemma with the Ostwind is what we have in game was the prototype they sent to the front. All others afterwards had different sights as well as different turrets.
Never have figured out what the AAA scope is on the prototype Ostwind  :headscratch:

Cleaner view from one of the above photos. Plus what the production model sight looked like.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:16:47 PM by lyric1 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2016, 05:15:57 PM »
It's for direct fire at ground objects. That is why the rifle style sight's reticle looks like a tank reticle. I also posted two versions of the original sight with the hanging pendulum. The optical sight we have required a complicated additional analog controller setup for it. The earlier sight had an external small iron sight nib so the gunner could quickly acquire the target. His spotter had only moments to guess the target's speed and slide the lead ring to that place on it's speed track. Then the gunner opened fire using the lead oval for a general setup and refocused past to his tracer's path finishing from there. Seems the director in the aiming process always depended on a second person inputting their best guess at target speed. Either with the manual early ring sight system or later with the analog director controlled optical systems.

Morf,

The MK108 is following Hitech's imposed game trajectory in the K4 and 152. He is angling the tube through the engine up slightly at 125 then boldly up on out to 650. Surprisingly he has given the round an impression of left hand spin drift visa the dispersion modeling. It should be a right hand drift. I've tested many fighters at 400 and noticed the dispersion code function seems to impart a bit of left hand bias to the pattern if you go offline and setup for 10x ammo. Then hold down the trigger for awhile.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
It's for direct fire at ground objects. That is why the rifle style sight's reticle looks like a tank reticle. I also posted two versions of the original sight with the hanging pendulum. The optical sight we have required a complicated additional analog controller setup for it. The earlier sight had an external small iron sight nib so the gunner could quickly acquire the target. His spotter had only moments to guess the target's speed and slide the lead ring to that place on it's speed track. Then the gunner opened fire using the lead oval for a general setup and refocused past to his tracer's path finishing from there. Seems the director in the aiming process always depended on a second person inputting their best guess at target speed. Either with the manual early ring sight system or later with the analog director controlled optical systems.

Morf,

The MK108 is following Hitech's imposed game trajectory in the K4 and 152. He is angling the tube through the engine up slightly at 125 then boldly up on out to 650. Surprisingly he has given the round an impression of left hand spin drift visa the dispersion modeling. It should be a right hand drift. I've tested many fighters at 400 and noticed the dispersion code function seems to impart a bit of left hand bias to the pattern if you go offline and setup for 10x ammo. Then hold down the trigger for awhile.

The ground fire sight is there as well.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:27:36 PM by lyric1 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »
I think that is a range finder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
I think that is a range finder.

Range & speed finder was always this dude on the back I believe when it came to AAA.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
The 20mm antiaircraft guns of the SS panzer regiment 12 shot down 23 allied aircraft during 10-3 august 1944.

German 12th SS panzer division lost very few tanks to fighter bombers during that time, they damaged some to be repaired though. They lost a number of trucks though.

Artillery damaged quite a few tanks, most could be repaired. The terrain made tanks very hard to spot from the aircraft.

source "Waffen-SS Armour in Normandy"

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
Bottom of this page is an interesting question more than answer. A page about the Flak 37.

http://www.materielsterrestres39-45.fr/fr/index.php/defense-contre-avions/153-defense-contre-avions-allemagne/520-3-7-cm-flak-37

When you look at osti models you see the same tube Flakvisier. I cannot find references for it.

Yet something more to mull over.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/5396-flakpanzer-ostwind/page__st__240

See the attachment rail for the direct fire tube.....Flakvisier 40.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:22:31 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »

Bottom of this page is an interesting question more than answer. A page about the Flak 37.

http://www.materielsterrestres39-45.fr/fr/index.php/defense-contre-avions/153-defense-contre-avions-allemagne/520-3-7-cm-flak-37

When you look at osti models you see the same tube Flakvisier. I cannot find references for it.

Yet something more to mull over.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/5396-flakpanzer-ostwind/page__st__240

See the attachment rail for the direct fire tube.....Flakvisier 40.

(Image removed from quote.)

That one is in this thread page #11.

Problem is it's not it. You can tell by the photo below.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:30:53 PM by lyric1 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:11 PM »
Giving us the analog controller would almost be giving us a lead computing sight for the osti and wirbel. Making us use the earlier pendulum versions would have players raising their default view up over the sight and aiming with the tracers only. The 35 vizier with only my adding range markers to the reticle is a mid ground compromise between using a reticle and players aiming solely with the tracers. The wider you make your custom FoV, the smaller and less bright the tracers become unless you goto zoom.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2016, 04:59:31 AM »
Giving us the analog controller would almost be giving us a lead computing sight for the osti and wirbel. Making us use the earlier pendulum versions would have players raising their default view up over the sight and aiming with the tracers only. The 35 vizier with only my adding range markers to the reticle is a mid ground compromise between using a reticle and players aiming solely with the tracers. The wider you make your custom FoV, the smaller and less bright the tracers become unless you goto zoom.

Actually you have it backwards. The analog sights came out on the Mobelwagon's & some of the earlier flack Panzers the problem was they vibrated to death on the rough terrain & were essentially useless on tracked vehicles. The pendulum versions used on the Wirbelwind & Ostwind proved to the most reliable and were the type used till wars end.

Mobelwagon.

Ostwind.

Wirbelwind.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
Hey, I had a choice, 5 years chasing down aircraft gunsights and reticles for my historic pack, or 5 years chasing down german vehicles. I like airplanes. The bits I read about the german analog controlled vizier impressed me that eventually really good gunners probably had a good range man and a good range dial twiddler man. The US NAVY produced the MK14 gyro controlled gunsight which was very accurate especially against kamikaze. The range operator had a better range controller system which he was also the dial twiddler. That removed the third guy. If there was no range control operator, the MK14 had it's own range control input for the gunner.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Ordnance/GS-Mk14/index.html   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
damn fact checking dweebs are annoying.  why can you just point and pull the trigger like the rest of us.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
damn fact checking dweebs are annoying.  why can you just point and pull the trigger like the rest of us.

semp

Just like the idea of hitting 6K bombers in an Ostwind that's all.