Author Topic: Perked USAAF plane?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: Perked USAAF plane?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
Makes one wonder if the P-51H was such an improvement over the P-51D, why was it not considered suitable for combat in Korea?  Hint, it was not because of the greater availability of the D Mustang.

ack-ack
Ok sorry to use wiki, but it makes some sense...

Wiki Quote

During the Korean War, F-51s, though obsolete as fighters, were used as close ground-support aircraft and reconnaissance aircraft until the end of the war in 1953[45]. Because of its lighter structure and less availability of spare parts, the newer, faster F-51H was not used in Korea. With the aircraft being used for ground attack, their performance was less of a concern than their ability to carry a load.

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 03:10:10 AM »
Actually the British took the very first Mustang Mk.I into trials and found it to be lacking above medium altitude but superior even to the Spitfire at low altitudes. Of course that was early on and the Spitfire went on to evolve further. It would be very interesting in the mid and late war arenas.

North American was first approached by the British to build P-40s and Atwood purchased the plans and rights from Curtiss for $50000 but Kindelberger acting on his own initiative offered the British a new design to be constructed within 100-120 days (with quite a bit of latitude allowed). The result came in 117 days and was so very similar to the Curtiss XP-46 project that Curtiss was calling foul and there has been wild speculations ever since. History is a pretty good indication that it was all untrue in that the XP-46 was a failure and the XP-51 Apache (the first ever USAAF designation) was a brilliant success.

Fixed.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 04:31:21 AM »
Meteor please, it would increase AH2's epeen by a ton!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »
Ok sorry to use wiki, but it makes some sense...

Wiki Quote

During the Korean War, F-51s, though obsolete as fighters, were used as close ground-support aircraft and reconnaissance aircraft until the end of the war in 1953[45]. Because of its lighter structure and less availability of spare parts, the newer, faster F-51H was not used in Korea. With the aircraft being used for ground attack, their performance was less of a concern than their ability to carry a load.

It's a pity that the P-47 was not retained for this role instead of the P-51.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2009, 09:27:37 AM »
Just make an exception for the Bearcat and be done with it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
Just make an exception for the Bearcat and be done with it.
Bearcat or Tigercat would be interesting as exceptions....but they would do nothing for getting a perked USAAF airplane into the game as they were both Navy/Marine birds, and we already have a couple perked US Navy/Marine birds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »
Meanwhile, we're running the BoB without the He-111, again.

Or the (admittedly much less widely used) Dornier...

I don't see equal validity to the two. However, I think the Dornier needs a place at the table - especially given the later variants.

Bottom line: what planes DON'T we want added? More is always better. Even if it's Battles and Fulmars...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »
Or the (admittedly much less widely used) Dornier...

I don't see equal validity to the two. However, I think the Dornier needs a place at the table - especially given the later variants.

Bottom line: what planes DON'T we want added? More is always better. Even if it's Battles and Fulmars...

The Do17 and Do217 may look similar, but they are 100% separate designs.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
The Do17 and Do217 may look similar, but they are 100% separate designs.

Correct and acknowledged, but what about the Kauz II (Z-10), Do215 and 215-based Kauz III (ro)? They both saw service (the export model in significant numbers) and the Kauz were hard-nosed NJ versions.

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »
If we ever do get the Do17, I would be very surprised if any version other than the Do17Z were added, ever.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
We totally need to get that DO17..... It's one of the best American aircraft of the war.   :uhoh

If we ever do get the Do17, I would be very surprised if any version other than the Do17Z were added, ever.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
We totally need to get that DO17..... It's one of the best American aircraft of the war.   :uhoh

Skuzzy, I hereby report Logan for hijacking this thread.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »
 :rofl

Skuzzy, I hereby report Logan for hijacking this thread.

:x
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »
Yes, the P-38L-5-Lo could reach 442MPH in level flight at critical altitude, as per the Lockheed spec, with the Lockheed/Allison factory tune up, 72" MAP and 3400 RPM. Not a claim, but rather a fact, according to Lockheed engineer Warren Bodie, author of "The Lockheed P-38 Lightning", and he has the Lockheed test papers. The P-38L in the game operates only at "military power" and not War Emergency Power as modeled in AH II, the military power setting in the game is incorrect, and the War Emergency Power setting in the game is actually military power for the -30 Allisons in the P-38L.

I'll be happy to let you prove that statement. Until then, most, if not all, reputable sources put the P-38L at 414 mph and the P-51H at 490 mph

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »
P-38 was a jack of all trades.  While it was not a master in one particular area, it was good in all areas.

ack-ack

Yes, thats what I said. It's not the BEST in any area I can think of (if you can then please correct me), but its still a great plane. Just that its not the BEST. Many well rounded planes, but most if not all are more tailored to a specific area then the 38, while still being about as good as the 38 in other areas.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th