Author Topic: Bet with a teacher  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Bet with a teacher
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Meh, the USAF use crap firewalls then. There is so much fail in this thread, every single method mentioned I can detect and prevent with a <$1000 firewall. Try em, watch your internet access at work/school disappear.

It will just give the teachers another bone to pick with whoever set up the network. Having been a teachers aide one year, I got to see the fun the teachers go through trying to bring in interactive, modern methods of teaching but having to work around all of these brick walls set in place with little recourse... now the furloughs hit... not a fun time to be a teacher :(

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
Just blame your teacher.

My friend hacked into the Howard County Community College proxie and server.
No wonder my grades fell sharply !!!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »
Meh, the USAF use crap firewalls then. There is so much fail in this thread, every single method mentioned I can detect and prevent with a <$1000 firewall. Try em, watch your internet access at work/school disappear.
Remember, what eagl was talking about was the USAF firewalls from around WarGames' era (Or so I am guessing due to his mentioning of non-hostile hacking of a friendly network). Also, I bet you cannot beat this method: Buy a internet card from your cell phone provider and use their network, unless the teacher workstations are merely clients and have only the bare necessities installed on them, like our school's computers do. Make sure you unplug the teacher's computer from the network first though. Maybe get a pool going to pay for the card and the plan?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
It will just give the teachers another bone to pick with whoever set up the network. Having been a teachers aide one year, I got to see the fun the teachers go through trying to bring in interactive, modern methods of teaching but having to work around all of these brick walls set in place with little recourse... now the furloughs hit... not a fun time to be a teacher :(

Bollocks, one site I manage has around 400 teachers who teach ~20000 remote students, they have no issues with both providing these tools and controlling the objectionable content people have access too.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »
Bollocks, one site I manage has around 400 teachers who teach ~20000 remote students, they have no issues with both providing these tools and controlling the objectionable content people have access too.

Yeah, that's not a Hawaii Public School buddy. BIG difference...  :rolleyes:

Also, I bet you cannot beat this method: Buy a internet card from your cell phone provider and use their network, unless the teacher workstations are merely clients and have only the bare necessities installed on them, like our school's computers do. Make sure you unplug the teacher's computer from the network first though. Maybe get a pool going to pay for the card and the plan?

You know? That is actually a ridiculously good idea! I will bring that up with him in school tomorrow!

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »
I have never liked IT people.  It's easy to know just as much as them and yet they have this whole "I am the gatekeeper!" mentality.  Any defense can be broken and with enough time and research it can be done undetected.  JFGI, loads of sources to work from.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
Alright, well, here is the backstory:

My English teacher was trying to show a video one day of something or other (I wasn't paying attention) but the site it was on had recently been added to the list blocked by proxy. After a lovely discussion on it, I told him I am sure I could find a way on the internet to get past the proxy (He is not the only teacher to get screwed by the proxy blocking legitimate educational material). So he bet me a "floating A", (I could pick one assignment excluding a test and get an automatic A on it) or a floating F that I wouldn't be able to find a way past the proxy. So, after scouring the internet and getting stopped just before any answer by the proxy, I come to you all. Anyone know a way past a proxy?

Also, slipping past proxies isn't illegal, is it?

Do a cost-benefit analysis on the benefit of the floating A versus the effort to solve your little proxy bypass issue compared to the negative impact of the floating F versus the cost to compensate for it with other work. Rationalize your objective downward or upward such that the alternative you prefer comes out on top. If the preferred alternative doesn't require the minimum effort, then your prospects for career success are very dim. Buy a quart of vodka and a straight razor on your way home.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
Yeah, that's not a Hawaii Public School buddy. BIG difference...  :rolleyes:

No it's far worse, I know this because we've also done a dozen or more large private and public schools. But hey you're an expert on the subject right serenity ;)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
I have never liked IT people.  It's easy to know just as much as them and yet they have this whole "I am the gatekeeper!" mentality.  Any defense can be broken and with enough time and research it can be done undetected.  JFGI, loads of sources to work from.

The internet is not a right, it's a privilege and tool, a privilege and a tool that can be removed. I hate people who believe it's their god given right to have open internet access to whatever they want at school and at work.

JFGI? Great advice, do you know how many HR meetings I've had to sit through because some tard JFGI'd it and tried each method, only to find at the end of the day he had no job?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
No it's far worse, I know this because we've also done a dozen or more large private and public schools. But hey you're an expert on the subject right serenity ;)

No! No! You're oppinion that any teacher can do anything they need regardless of cost and resources just because you saw one group manage to accomplish something surely with massive amounts of help MUST be true...  :rolleyes:

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 04:13:18 AM »
No! No! You're oppinion that any teacher can do anything they need regardless of cost and resources just because you saw one group manage to accomplish something surely with massive amounts of help MUST be true...  :rolleyes:

Did you see the post a few up where I stated we've done dozen of schools, and the one further up where the firewalls to do this can be had for <$1000?

See serenity, you should focus on your schoolwork, in particular reading and reading comprehension skills.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 06:37:37 AM »
Do a cost-benefit analysis on the benefit of the floating A versus the effort to solve your little proxy bypass issue compared to the negative impact of the floating F versus the cost to compensate for it with other work. Rationalize your objective downward or upward such that the alternative you prefer comes out on top. If the preferred alternative doesn't require the minimum effort ( : maximum benefit ), then your prospects for career success are very dim. Buy a quart of vodka and a straight razor on your way home.

Needs a ratio 'min effort:max benefit' or the minimum effort may produce minimum results. 'Prefered alternative should require minimum effort' is hardly a philosophy to garner prospects!

Also, get two bottles and skip the razor, who cares about morning ablutions when you're double as drunk?

In my opinion only, of course.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 07:06:20 AM »
Has nobody had the idea of giving your schools IT guy a case of beer and $50.00 to open a temp hole in the network so you can win the bet?

They can close the hole later after you have won.

(used to be $20.00 and a 12 pack but with the economy lately....)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:07:51 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
The internet is not a right, it's a privilege and tool, a privilege and a tool that can be removed. I hate people who believe it's their god given right to have open internet access to whatever they want at school and at work.

JFGI? Great advice, do you know how many HR meetings I've had to sit through because some tard JFGI'd it and tried each method, only to find at the end of the day he had no job?

I love when IT goes off on a power trip.  Steam coming out the ears and all.  :rolleyes:

HR is just a tad lower in standing than IT in my eyes though, so good point mentioning that there is worse out there :D

-----------------------

A lot of highly paid people in computer security got started just like your talking about OP.  Its a risk but I've always held that it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
Has nobody had the idea of giving your schools IT guy a case of beer and $50.00 to open a temp hole in the network so you can win the bet?

They can close the hole later after you have won.

(used to be $20.00 and a 12 pack but with the economy lately....)

That sounds like what I would have done in school.