Author Topic: Could AvA be revived...........  (Read 2754 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Could AvA be revived...........
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
Could AvA be revived if it could be programmed to automatically run "snapshot" type scenarios several times a day?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,274933.0.html

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Could AvA be revived...........
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »
Something of the sort
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
Please lets make this arena as reaslistic as possible.......  All the time.

1)  Keep strat on,  or  make it so that when you kill Vehicle Hangars  the vehicles are disabled,  when you kill the fighter hangars the fighters are disabled.  When you kill ammo the ordinance is disabled.

2)  Only have 2 color countries,   keep the third color country as small as possible on the map and no planes allowed to fly from it.   That way the map is owned by two groups:  Axis  and Allies.

Axis vs Allies should be like a war just like whats available in the plane set.  C47s, bombers, vehicles, fighters, etc.    We should be more enabled to take fields, defeating an enemy.

Not just air to air combat (isn't that what dueling arena is about?).   If you do this,  people from the Main arena would populate this arena eventually.  After all, they do like taking bases :).   Who knows,  you might get some squads to compete.

I know I'd fly in the AvA arena more often if historic purpose was put in and have some friends that would probably come over too.

Thanks for the consideration.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »
Please lets make this arena as reaslistic as possible.......  All the time.
Speaking of keeping it realistic some CM needs to go reset it,everything is enabled at all fields.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »
Speaking of keeping it realistic some CM needs to go reset it,everything is enabled at all fields.

Fixed.  Skuzzy reset the arenas today for the new campaign.  Tables are now reloaded.

Thanks for the heads-up, folks.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
Please don't take this in the wrong way, but just going by the 1st 4 of you who have posted in this thread, none of you have been a member of this AH board if not AH entirely......... for more than a yr or two

I suggest you take a few hours ( more like days ) and search back thru all the post involved in this AvsA forum ( old name was CT Forum ( Combat Theatre ) and see the 1,000s of different attempts to change how this arena is used.......

This particular arena is a roller Coaster ride  ( ups and downs ) and is a Red Headed Step Child of the overall game.....

every now and again their will be someone who comes along and proposes an idea.... the AvsA regulars , as well as newcomers will all give it a go and after a few months if not sooner.it goes right back to where it was to begin with.....

with that said, the same "old CT players", or new "AvsA players" that are considered regulars, will still be there having the fun that what seems like a selective small amount enjoy day in and day out......

The AvsA is run by all "VOLUNTEER" staff and things are updated or fixed at the most possible convenient time......

but good luck in trying to make it into something else. who knows? throw something against the wall long enough it just might end up sticking  :aok

edit: adding a link to an old post by a old CT staffer, a little over a year after the original CT Arena went live:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,70109.msg658555.html#msg658555

especially read Löwe's posted reply in that linked thread......

nothing has changed  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:36:14 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
especially read Löwe's posted reply in that linked thread......

Lowe - now known as Shifty - has always been a pretty clever guy.

- oldman

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Fixed.  Skuzzy reset the arenas today for the new campaign.  Tables are now reloaded.

Thanks for the heads-up, folks.

- oldman
thx oldman :)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:04:33 AM »
I think what Lowe said back then in 2002 goes here, now, for this thread as well.

:salute
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
Please don't take this in the wrong way, but just going by the 1st 4 of you who have posted in this thread, none of you have been a member of this AH board if not AH entirely......... for more than a yr or two

Point taken.

Look, I would just like to see some historical scenario game play that I could participate in, anywhere.

I'd like to try the current AVA, but I never see anyone in there.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
Point taken.

Look, I would just like to see some historical scenario game play that I could participate in, anywhere.

I'd like to try the current AVA, but I never see anyone in there.

There are some good offline flight sims that offer historical play, and there's also FSO.  The HA in Warbirds back in the late '90s was a more popular arena than the AvA, and you had to pay $2/hour for that.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
Some things have changed. Löwe is buried in a shallow grave on Bougainville.
Shifty's just an older version with slower reflexes, failing eyesight , and a bad attitude. :D

I'd be happy for the AVA to be the way it was back then. There were more regulars and you could at least get 20 or so in most nights.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:45:50 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
There are some good offline flight sims that offer historical play, and there's also FSO.  The HA in Warbirds back in the late '90s was a more popular arena than the AvA, and you had to pay $2/hour for that.
FSO and snapshots are what I like, but can rarely attend.
Link to my Wishlist post.  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,274933.0.html

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »
You're basically asking for Combat Tour.  I was crossing my fingers for it, but it didn't work out.  It's a pity.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
You're basically asking for Combat Tour.  I was crossing my fingers for it, but it didn't work out.  It's a pity.

I believe Combat Tour was to be a campaign that would last days, weeks or more.

I was envisioning a single life event, basically a snapshot scenario that would run and re-run several times a day and change periodically.