Author Topic: It takes 2 to HO....  (Read 8473 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: It takes 2 to HO....
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
fair enough.  Just remember if everybody fought like that, you would not have any enjoyment as you would never find a fight with advantage.   :banana:

just for the record......although you kicked my cartoon arse.....i enjoyed the hell out of our fights in the da last week dude.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »
a failed evasive is a failed evasive, whether from a 12 o'clock threat or a 6 o'clock threat.

if one guy has a shot and the other guy doesn't it is not a ho, how they get to that situation is irrelevant to what is happening within guns range.  so if you gave up your solution, and tried to take the other guys solution away in the process but failed then it is still your failure.  

what do you want to employ here a "if you see down the other guys barrel you must fly a sector away and then you can come back to re-engage" rule?

either ho or don't if you don't and the other guy tries then you should have the angle advantage when you passed each other, that does not matter if he still gets the shot off though does it?

sooo make a good evasive, but don't cry because the other guys shot was better than your evasive.  

otherwise you could just make those complaints about any merge all day endlessly, and the rest of us would have to listen to that nonsense ...

just "shaddup" and die like a man, until you get better and die less.

+S+

t  

you just made my point.

like guppy says.....the planes are free. when you face shoot, you're shooting a stationary target. not much of a challenge there.
 when you "dance" you get your blood pumping.
 in the da last week(see the 80th challenge thread), i had many fights.... against grizz,  sonicblu, agent 360, krupinsky, billyd, and others.........especially krup, and sonic......i was literally sweating my bellybutton off when the fight were over.
 i lost some, i won some. those 109 drivers kicked my cartoon arse. but i didn't much care, as i learned something, and had a BLAST fighting those guys.
 in the main arenas, the only guy i've seen take a 109 that slow, was stang(he kicked my butt too). in the da, these guys had to have been riding the stall, as i was............the fight is the fun. everything else is just a bonus.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
it is easy to vilify the HO if you stick to the games better turn fighters.  
it is also pretty easy to use a planes strengths when it displays few of its historic weaknesses.

so ...

if you are the better turn-fighter a ho complaint gets little sympathy from me,
you could have, and probably should have, turned off.

if you fly one of the planes with understated weaknesses than i am not so impressed with your ability to keep a fight in your envelope,
you have a pretty big envelope so not very difficult, and not very impressive.

it takes two to ho may not be exactly accurate, as one guy can create a head on merge.  
however it only takes one guy to avoid a ho, so if you are still there well you want to be there,
you getting kilt and changing your mind does nothing to change the fact that you wanted to be there,
because if you didn't you would have broken off.  

right?

right!

soooo enough already ...

right?

right !

+S+

t
Nope your not right...think about 2 planes flying against each other, normally there is multiple merges especially in some of the most common merges like the immelman. You come back at pretty much head-on and with both planes having little if no E to really manuever all that well. So if some tard wants to take the easy way out he can just pop him there while the other plane actually practices ACM. I ALWAYS try to aviod the HO but sometimes the other guy just gets a lucky shot off.....it isnt even lucky its almost too simple to just go for HOs no challenge in it. Thats what I dont understand about the NOE hordes and the people who flatten bases instead of fighting them down to a vulch....there is no skill required in these things....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
Yep, in the score pages click on the Player stats under Individual Statistics.  It sorts the stats by kills in, kills of, killed by, and died in.  Clicking on any of those columns will further break it down by showing what plane, what the other guy flew and the names of who you shot down and those that shot you down.

ack-ack

Very nice akak 179 kills (none of me) in p38s MW with 20 deaths (none by me) this tour.  Very nice.  Always on top of the fight.  Always retreat when approached by larger force of higher cons.  usually you fight alone, sometimes not.  Very good strategy.  an akak kill is always a happy thing :)

Would be much preferred to see a direct player vs player compare feature rather than wading through all the different plane types to see who killed me.  Or am I missing something still?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »
fair enough.  Just remember if everybody fought like that, you would not have any enjoyment as you would never find a fight with advantage.   :banana:

its a complicated thing.  Years of not caring about dying in game and constant mindless endless forever on and on furballing have given way to a more deliberate purpose in the game.  Try not to get killed.

The happy news is there are alot of people who dont care about getting killed so its all good :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
a failed evasive is a failed evasive, whether from a 12 o'clock threat or a 6 o'clock threat.

if one guy has a shot and the other guy doesn't it is not a ho, how they get to that situation is irrelevant to what is happening within guns range.  so if you gave up your solution, and tried to take the other guys solution away in the process but failed then it is still your failure.  

what do you want to employ here a "if you see down the other guys barrel you must fly a sector away and then you can come back to re-engage" rule?

either ho or don't if you don't and the other guy tries then you should have the angle advantage when you passed each other, that does not matter if he still gets the shot off though does it?

sooo make a good evasive, but don't cry because the other guys shot was better than your evasive.  

otherwise you could just make those complaints about any merge all day endlessly, and the rest of us would have to listen to that nonsense ...

just "shaddup" and die like a man, until you get better and die less.

+S+

t  

That's the logic of someone who thinks he's actually dying in a game.  It's also the logic of someone who shoots folks in the face cause he thinks it means something to be a cartoon fighter pilot.  "Until you get better and die less".  Since when did 'dying' in this game mean you weren't any good at cartoon flying?

It's that old my K/D, score  is better then yours, so I must be a good stick.    You seem to be suffering from small joystick syndrome if you think any of that proves a thing.

Over the years playing this game and previous, the best sticks I've ever seen, were never on top of the scoreboard.  Had they chosen to fly that way, they could have but they preferred to test their cartoon pilot skills.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »
its a complicated thing.  Years of not caring about dying in game and constant mindless endless forever on and on furballing have given way to a more deliberate purpose in the game.  Try not to get killed.

The happy news is there are alot of people who dont care about getting killed so its all good :)
Some people dont mind if they get killed in a good fight, it means they might be getting better. If you dont want to die you wont take the chances with a HO since its 50/50 and you almost always come out of it with damage even if you win. What your saying doesnt make sense why offer your opponent a shot on you just to get a shot at the same time....how about work angles to get your opponents six or to set up a snapshot.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »
Some people dont mind if they get killed in a good fight, it means they might be getting better. If you dont want to die you wont take the chances with a HO since its 50/50 and you almost always come out of it with damage even if you win. What your saying doesnt make sense why offer your opponent a shot on you just to get a shot at the same time....how about work angles to get your opponents six or to set up a snapshot.
There are so many factors that can come into play during an engagement.  So many variables that require so many decisions.  Your question is really too simplistic to just answer casually.

Summary: I typically try to make a genuine attempt at surviving the engagement FIRST, getting a kill SECOND, landing said Kill(s) last.  It has simply evolved this way over many years of gaming at AH.  Am I always successful? Heck no, not hardly.  The most important question for me however is this: Am I enjoying my time spent online playing AH?  By and large, yes. 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »
Very nice akak 179 kills (none of me) in p38s MW with 20 deaths (none by me) this tour.

Because by your own admission, you're too timid to fight.  Usually an encounter with you goes like this...you dive down past the merge and then run.  And you complain about how others fight when you don't fight at all unless you can pick the other guy as he's fighting someone else. 

I never understood why timid people play a PvP centric game, maybe one day you'll take the time to explain it to me.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2009, 06:20:22 PM »
Because by your own admission, you're too timid to fight.  Usually an encounter with you goes like this...you dive down past the merge and then run.  And you complain about how others fight when you don't fight at all unless you can pick the other guy as he's fighting someone else. 

I never understood why timid people play a PvP centric game, maybe one day you'll take the time to explain it to me.

ack-ack
If it seems Im "complaining" then I apologize.  It feels more like an astute "observation" to me.  I do try VERY HARD never to complain in game.

The reason I enjoy playing the game is because I love the history of it, love the planes and tanks and ships, and I love the idea of virtually killing someone sitting in a computer chair somewhere else that is trying to virtually kill me, more or less. 

As far as timid, well.......thats what some people describe it as, so there is that.  Looking at the top stats I have not done well with my K/D this tour but I have sent 213 souls back to the tower, having suffered 73 trips there myself (last two days have not gone well).  But I have to say I have really enjoyed the tour so far.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »
I like this one better, "It only takes one to turn a merge into a HO".
+1
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
i don't think i ever stated a preference for the head on, that doesn't mean i won't take it when i feel it is my best option.

my best option, and i will take any shot i think i can make.  those are the two things you can count on from me.

as far as my skills go, i think this is my 3rd tour in this game and my k/d is top 80s and 5x better than the average of the plane i pretty much always fly.  i am aggressive but not usually stupid, and i like to fight.

i almost always come out the looser in a ho, so i tend to avoid them.

even so, ho's happen, even if you don't try to have them, there is no code, so get over it.  

if you really don't want to engage in a ho then don't, because if you really try not to engage front quarter to front quarter it really is not that difficult to avoid the ho's and they will then rarely happen to you.

+S+

t

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
There are so many factors that can come into play during an engagement.  So many variables that require so many decisions.  Your question is really too simplistic to just answer casually.

Summary: I typically try to make a genuine attempt at surviving the engagement FIRST, getting a kill SECOND, landing said Kill(s) last.  It has simply evolved this way over many years of gaming at AH.  Am I always successful? Heck no, not hardly.  The most important question for me however is this: Am I enjoying my time spent online playing AH?  By and large, yes. 

I try to survive every engagement too.  But I've also taken the time to learn ACM and turn, fighting at a 'disadvantage', into an advantage.  It's not very difficult to work a con with more E down and kill him.  That's probably the most fun aspect of the game for me. 

The only time I will ever run from a 1v1 is when I'm completely out of options in a Ta152 against a double-triple superior aircraft like a Spit9, Ki84, etc.  Out of options= On deck, slow, 800-1200 separation, high boogies looming on the fringe, i.e. any maneuver attempted is 99% likely death.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
i.e. not stupid  :salute

never could see the point of people having a problem with that ...

I try to survive every engagement too.  But I've also taken the time to learn ACM and turn, fighting at a 'disadvantage', into an advantage.  It's not very difficult to work a con with more E down and kill him.  That's probably the most fun aspect of the game for me. 

The only time I will ever run from a 1v1 is when I'm completely out of options in a Ta152 against a double-triple superior aircraft like a Spit9, Ki84, etc.  Out of options= On deck, slow, 800-1200 separation, high boogies looming on the fringe, i.e. any maneuver attempted is 99% likely death.
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »

As far as timid, well.......thats what some people describe it as, so there is that.  Looking at the top stats I have not done well with my K/D this tour but I have sent 213 souls back to the tower, having suffered 73 trips there myself (last two days have not gone well).  But I have to say I have really enjoyed the tour so far.

You barely manage 4 kills per hour and all of those are usually the result of you picking someone as they fight someone else.  You spend the majority of your flying time climbing to high altitudes or running.  At least to me, it doesn't sound like a very fun way to play, in fact it sounds rather boring being so timid but it's your $15.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song