Author Topic: It takes 2 to HO....  (Read 8435 times)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
Re: It takes 2 to HO....
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »
You might be surprised what your plane can do if you take the time to learn it more completely.

constantly  :devil
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2009, 03:59:10 AM »
Very nice post, Yeager.

Knowing the HO and being prepared to encounter or execute it does not mean one must go for it. At least it will not surprise, shock or disappoint one anymore. Thus there are also less reasons to whine about it.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:19 AM »
What you will get from me, and what I think is the best attitude about it, is to say that this game is primarily a GUNS game.  As such when the path of a bullet from the barrel of my gun(s) intersects with the path of YOU then expect  to be fired upon.  

To me it is best to have the bad guy pointing away from me, but AH is a three dimensional environment and the geometry of movement being free on all three axis allows for unpredictable angles, which afterall makes playing the game such a fascinating undertaking.

Lastly, if your going to play the game with the attitude that a certain shot is not a sporting shot and should not be taken, then you are going to become upset because AH is not a sport.  It is a combat game without restrictions. Get yourself in the path of my bullets you will be shot at.  Having said that, of course, avoid the HO but be prepared to execute the head-on shot offensively and to avoid it defensively.  

Shuffler, it is well and good to say learn your aircraft but remember to talk about Situational Awareness as well.  SA is just as important as understanding ACM and individual aircraft capabilites.  If you cannot read the fight you are getting into then you are going to get hammered regardless of your abilities in any given aircraft.

:salute
HO and offense should never be in the same statement.  HO can be argued as a last option in an attempt to survive a fight or take some down with you, but to say to use it as an offensive tactic makes you ignorant even though you seem to have played even longer then me. A first time player can put his nose at a plane coming straight at him and do damage to the enemy plane. Why take a 50/50 shot when you might be able to get your opponents 6 and not even worry about what he does at all? You can aviod a HO all day but even some of the worst sticks can get lucky and hit you, maybe not killing you but at a nose to nose angle its most likely gunna be oil/rad/pw damage.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »
Very nice post, Yeager.

Knowing the HO and being prepared to encounter or execute it does not mean one must go for it. At least it will not surprise, shock or disappoint one anymore. Thus there are also less reasons to whine about it.
Wow you think it would take skill to preform a HO/ dodge it.....Theres no skill to it at all, no skill killing someone avioding it , if it doesnt take some skill why would you do it?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2009, 04:24:57 AM »
Sorry Junky,
but at least I have hard time trying to figure your point in those 2 posts.

HO is not an offensive tactic?  :O What is it then? I think everyone else in this thread will say it is an offensive (also a pun intended ;) ) tactic.

Also it does not happen automatically. Some skill is always required, not in tactical sense, but in aiming and firing, and in correctly timed dodges. Furthermore, many players play this game for FUN. Fun cannot be measured solely with or through skill.

Or what was exactly your argument?  :huh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:26:52 AM by BlauK »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
ho's once in awhile are ok. they happen....like others have said.

but there's those, that don't need to do it, but insist on doing it, rather than enjoying the fight. there are some that are toolazy to take the time to maneuever. or if they see they're losing angles, they line one up, and do it.

they seem to fear loosing their cartoon airplane. like it may damage their ego should they go down in cartoon flames.

i understand everyone's idea of fun is different, but i can't understand how one could consistantly cheat themselves out of so much fun as is being offered to them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2009, 09:00:45 AM »
Fun is different for all of us, like you said. Maybe those who often choose to go for HO do not consider RTBing so important or fun, but I dont think they fear the losses hardly at all. After all they are taking maximum risk in their attacks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:07:42 AM by BlauK »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2009, 09:02:44 AM »
Fun is different for all of us. Maybe those who often choose go for HO do not consider RTBing so important or fun.

i didn't take that part into account, as i don't consider rtb'ing most of the time. should i make it, then goody for me.  :D

if not.........then ooooopsie :neener:

the only time i REALLY try, is if i get out of a fight with a lot of damage, making it difficult to fly my airplane, or with a pw, then it suddenly becomes a challenge, and i want to make it.  :airplane:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
Fighters don't HO, gamers do. that pretty much sums it up.

If your flying for the fight you are always looking to get yourself into a prime firering solution, fighting to get the bogie to loose his "E" and options so that you can win the fight by destroying his ability to fight back.

Gamers on the other hand are looking to add to their kills on the score page. They need nothing more than another "tally" added so go about getting it any way that they can.

Offline Box1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
Read the books, watch the documentaries...Head Ons were common place.....get over it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:18 AM »
Fighters don't HO, gamers do. that pretty much sums it up.

If your flying for the fight you are always looking to get yourself into a prime firering solution, fighting to get the bogie to loose his "E" and options so that you can win the fight by destroying his ability to fight back.

Gamers on the other hand are looking to add to their kills on the score page. They need nothing more than another "tally" added so go about getting it any way that they can.

hhmm././......wonder .....since there's a couple other threads about other arenas.........if we should petition for a "gamers" arena then?

then all of those doods could go game all they like.  :joystick: :airplane:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:17:20 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
another idiot comparing a "game" to war  :rolleyes:

"I want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill.  Kill.  I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL........"

This is a primier WWII combat war game - see your enemies dieing in flaming wrecks and blood soaked cockpits - hear them screaming on radio - watch them hurling threats and calling you tards and noobs as they die - defeat the heathen rooks and dastadly bishops and send them back to Hell where they belong - defeat the forces of Evil!!

...hmmm - ya mean this ISN"T real??  MOM?.....MOM?.....they lied to me again...make them stop!! :rofl

...now what idiot thinks this isn't real eh?? :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:37:49 AM by Wreked »
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:06 PM »
Wow you think it would take skill to preform a HO/ dodge it.....Theres no skill to it at all, no skill killing someone avioding it , if it doesnt take some skill why would you do it?
I respectfully disagree.  Look at the best performing players in the game, they rarely ever let themselves get into a position, or be forced into one, that generates an unwanted Head-On shot.

Experience, knowledge of the plane they are in, and veterans SA pretty much deals out any unwanted Head-On shots.  In my own case (not being one of the best performers), when I have an aggressive opponent that is beginning to threaten me in a better performing airplane (I tend to fly planes NOT in the top 5) and there is no satisfactory egress for me, I can typically position myself to take advantage of good frontal quarter shots.  Not the straight up nose to nose stuff, but more difficult high deflection front quarter shots.   Shots that come from better than average marksmenship.  The kind of shots that generate "HO-tard" comments from less mature or easily frustrated players.

Thats my view of it.

:salute
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
another idiot comparing a "game" to war  :rolleyes:
I try very hard, REALLY REALLY hard not to call people idiots are insult them personally here.

Its a good way to go.

:rock :salute
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns