Author Topic: Does sportsmanship matter?  (Read 7686 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Does sportsmanship matter?
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
I've noticed recently that when (if?  ;) ) I shoot someone down, I am often insulted or threatened via a private message.

So I wonder, does a sense of sportsmanship matter in here anymore?

Also, does using the ".report <player>" command actually accomplish anything?

- bino, missing-the-good-old-days bino

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Does sportsmanship matter?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
yes and yes
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
When you report a player for misconduct, you should also send in a screenshot and/or film of the incident in question. That way HTC's moderators can investigate the matter properly. If said player gets reported enough times (legitimately), he/she will be punished by HTC by either suspending chat privileges or by some other means deemed appropriate by HTC and their rules.

That said, sportsmanship, by all moral standards, should be upheld in the game. But, as we all have seen, 50% or more of the AH community actually play with good sportsmanship. They give <SALUTES>  :salute instead of F-U's on vox and text. Unfortunately, its something we all have to deal with until HTC comes up with a better system of vox/text blocking.

Don't let it get you down. Life is full of little salamanders, sometimes we get the flower, other times we get the thorns.

SALUTE
DasChewy  :joystick:  :airplane:  :joystick:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:02:30 AM by Skuzzy »
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
The ones who will send you an insulting pm or, even better, tune you on vox and cuss you out, are a vocal minotirty that you should just laugh at and keep killing them.  Nothing shows ownage more than some guy tuning you and flipping out because you've just handed him his ass.  You must be doing something right to get that response.

<S>

:aok

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
I've noticed recently that when (if?  ;) ) I shoot someone down, I am often insulted or threatened via a private message.

True theres been a rise lately in this type of behaviour I've noticed that as well + a general lack of humour or realisation that its only a game at the end of the day. Just film it and send it in, clearly if other people think its the norm for this to happen they will also start doing this sort of thing so its best to make a point of sending it in.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
It seems that we are getting more Xbox Live players now. "You killed me! Rather than admit it was my fault or me having less skill or even luck, I'm going to blame it on m controller that I just bought today after blaming the last 29 ones, and call you the most impoilte names I can think of."

I'm glad I joined AHII just in time to see the times when everyone was nice to all, and we all just had fun.  :aok

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

Just take such whines as a bonus. It is actually a praise, just like getting accused of cheating  :aok

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
Just take such whines as a bonus. It is actually a praise, just like getting accused of cheating  :aok

This :aok
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
You just have to PM them back,and say..I am sorry CUPCAKE,would you like some cheeze with that whine?? :banana:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
Just use the report and then squelch them and you know that does accomplish something.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
Sportsmanship should always matter, ANONYMOUS OR NOT. Those that spew insults and hide in their anonymity are most likely pretty meek outside of Aces High.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »

sportsmanship does matter.

the .report works well too. i've used it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »
The ones who will send you an insulting pm or, even better, tune you on vox and cuss you out, are a vocal minotirty that you should just laugh at and keep killing them.  Nothing shows ownage more than some guy tuning you and flipping out because you've just handed him his ass.  You must be doing something right to get that response.

I must be doing something wrong, as I never have people pissed at me for killing them anymore.   :cry  :cry :cry

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
you can squelch them, but before you know it, they're back.

Need Perma-squelch!~

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »
S!

what Stang said   :aok

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan