Author Topic: Pigs on the Wing - fear the force :)  (Read 9539 times)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Re: Pigs on the Wing - fear the force :)
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »
Wow, PotW starts off with some harmless remark about owning people.

And it turns into an argument about Chaucer/Shakespeare, English lit, and of all things the binomial expansion theorem?

WTF.  :rofl :rofl :rofl

p.s., Sardaukar, your formatting of the theorem is gibberish. It means nothing. You have not defined any variables nor named any assumptions. Nor does the equation you state even make sense. It is not even a proper equation. I'm sorry, as a mathematically trained person, it makes me sick just looking at it, especially knowing the real statement of the theorem.
lay it on us there mr "weird science"
knock yourself out. :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »

p.s., Sardaukar, your formatting of the theorem is gibberish. It means nothing. You have not defined any variables nor named any assumptions. Nor does the equation you state even make sense. It is not even a proper equation. I'm sorry, as a mathematically trained person, it makes me sick just looking at it, especially knowing the real statement of the theorem.

Derivatives.  

With: h small, (x + h)^(p/q) ≈ x^(p/q) [1 + (p/q)(h/x) + O(h/x)^2
Thus: limit h->0 [f(x + h) - f(x)]/h ≈ [x^(p/q) + (p/q)hx^(p/q - 1) +O(h/x)^2 - x^(p/q)] / h
≈ (p/q)x^((p/q)-1) +O(h)
Thus: if f(x) = x^(p/q), f ' (x) = (p/q) x^((p/q)-1)

Thanks for your input, but you've missed the point of the post.

The point has nothing, whatsoever, to do with calculus.  In fact, gibberish might have been more effective.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:28:41 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Yes yes, your point is that none of what Bustr says matters in any real sense. "OOOoooo, I know more about literature than you..." does not demonstrate superior intelligence. It does not demonstrate much besides an ability to memorize and a propensity to apply that ability towards English lit.

I was just very surprised the thread got to something like that. :headscratch:
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
Yes yes, your point is that none of what Bustr says matters in any real sense. "OOOoooo, I know more about literature than you..." does not demonstrate superior intelligence. It does not demonstrate much besides an ability to memorize and a propensity to apply that ability towards English lit.

Do you have lice, you scratch your head alot  :D   :headscratch:
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
LOL, I donno... but it looks like I must have passed them critters on to you Dep.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

Threads like this are generally steered off course when people take themselves too seriously.

In this case, when a poster sees fit, not only to insult a member of this BBS, let alone his child, but to do so with an aura of superiority about him thanks to an intimate knowledge of when and when not to put an "e" at the end of the word "old," well... that's just plain old unsatisfactory.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »
Yeah, I've seen that happen *sigh*. Oh well, that does it for my contribution to this ever so wonderful thread. :bolt:
boomerlu
JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
Derivatives.  

Thus: limit h->0 [f(x + h) - f(x)]/h ≈ [x^(p/q) + (p/q)hx^(p/q - 1) +O(h/x)^2 - x^(p/q)] / h
≈ (p/q)x^((p/q)-1) +O(h)

Thanks for your input, but you've missed the point of the post.

The point has nothing, whatsoever, to do with calculus.  In fact, gibberish might have been more effective.

Oh look at me... I too can post math formulas, do you like multi-dimensional DCTS, formulas currently being used for many video/audio compression algorithms such as H.264 (Actually H.264 uses a modified/simplified version that is more akin to 8 *8 spatial block transform).

or would you prefer

or would you prefer wavelet transforms used in JPEG2000 & Dirac  Video compression algorithms which is applied to 4:2:2 color space (extra points if you know why?)

If you want, I can throw in some inverse Jacobian matrices and a practical application for LU decomposition (frequently used in IK computations)?

look at me, I also know math... and wikipeda to help math equations look better :)

sorry, this thread has gotten way off track, from mindless jokes around chest beating & tool shedding to straight up "I know more than you" first grade behavior.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
Oh look at me... I too can post math formulas, do you like multi-dimensional DCTS, formulas currently being used for many video/audio compression algorithms such as H.264 (Actually H.264 uses a modified/simplified version that is more akin to 8 *8 spatial block transform).

(Image removed from quote.)

or would you prefer

or would you prefer wavelet transforms used in JPEG2000 & Dirac  Video compression algorithms which is applied to 4:2:2 color space (extra points if you know why?)

If you want, I can throw in some inverse Jacobian matrices and a practical application for LU decomposition (frequently used in IK computations)?

look at me, I also know math... and wikipeda to help math equations look better :)

sorry, this thread has gotten way off track, from mindless jokes around chest beating & tool shedding to straight up "I know more than you" first grade behavior.

Awesome hijacking skillz yourself.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
Awesome hijacking skillz yourself.

Thank you.. sarcasm is something your still learning I take it.  :aok
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »

or would you prefer

Geez.  I must concede that Buster is probably right.

This one appears to be one of those aforementioned victims of inadequate schooling.  That or the reading comprehension professor was more interested in porking his/her students than teaching them.

No pun, of course.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
Derivatives.  

≈ (p/q)x^((p/q)-1) +O(h)

will you please stop that !!!!!!!!   damnitall :furious

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
Thank you.. sarcasm is something your still learning I take it.  :aok

It wasn't sarcasm.   Sarcasm is funny, but you weren't funny.    I think you've become a victim of your chosen crowd.   (no smilie needed)
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

will you please stop that !!!!!!!!   damnitall :furious

Actually, I think that would be "that you stop please will."  :D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
Actually, I think that would be "that you stop please will."  :D

agree with I ya.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC