Author Topic: PBY Catalina  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: PBY Catalina
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Hey, I dont blame anyone for wanting the thing. I just disagree.

Its nothing to get excited about.

The sad fact that we dont have a 2nd perked bomber, such staples as the Betty or 111, and that we dont have ANY Russian bomber in the game is, I believe, of utmost importance. The Beaufighter is needed as well.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
Motherland,

The only FSO I've flown in in about 2 years that had DARBAR turned on was the BoB this past Sept-ish, and that was a special case on a ten minute delay. I've never flown a Snapshot that had DARBAR turned on. Granted I haven't flown scenarios but IIRC the same settings are used there as well. Otherwise the only way to have any idea what sector the enemy was in was to watch for base flashing.

Rich,

On the level of priority I DO agree. The Betty may be the most glaring gap in the plane set (yes, I rate it above the He-111). But your posts are coming across that there's be no use for it at ALL, which is most not the case.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 03:13:56 AM »
It looks like HTC have moved their priorities away from enhancing the plane set anyway. They're working on WWI and an enhanced plane damage model. Once the new damage model has the creases ironed out HTC will have a huge backlog of work to do to bring the current plane set up to the new standard. I don't see much development being available for many more planes unless they can figure out a way of off-loading some of the work.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
"The Betty may be the most glaring gap in the plane set . . ."

Bomber-wise, I reckon the most glaring AH omission is the most-produced RAF bomber of all time, the Wellington, but fair enough, the Allies have a good range of bombers and the Axis forces haven't. On the Far East front, the IJN's G4M 'Betty', definitely, plus the IJAAF's 'Sally'. The Nakajima Ki-43 'Oscar' fighter's absence is also most notable, considering it was the most-produced IJAAF fighter of WW2 and the mainstay of the IJAAF fighter force for most of the conflict.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF