Author Topic: how did the f4u have such a low CD,0  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
how did the f4u have such a low CD,0
« on: December 07, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »
it is almost as good as the p51

something is off teh with f4u because either a)it should climb faster or b) it should be slower. something doesnt seem right about it.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
Zig,

You knew I would answer this right  

Anyway I just want to say that the F4U is an anomalous A/C. I was just testing your spreadsheet when I noticed the same thing. However I noticed it a while back when Wells made the same spreadsheet. I also was perplexed by the low Cdo. However there are two things that support it.

1. There are four separate flight test available in head to head comparison vrs other A/C that show the F4U with the same max speed of 360mph at sea level or higher.

2. Check the P-47 and and F6F Cdo's using your spreadsheet. They both have relatively low drag as well. The F4U is lower but should be because of a much smaller cowl opening. This is because the oil coolers in the F4U are in the wing roots.

So yes the F4U Cdo is way out of line with inline engine A/C that you would suspect to be lower. But it is compatible with other radial engine A/C. The only thing I can figure is that the drag penalty for a radial engine is not as high as expected. Possible because of the prop wash over the open area?

Also Zig. Could you please test the LW savior FW190D-9 in your spread sheet. I would just like to prove to some on these boards that the D9 will not out turn anything except maybe another D9. It will sound more credible if you say it than me.
BTW I am using the same 1G stall number for the D9 as an A8. I do not have the 1g stall for the D9 but the weight and wing are compatible with the A8.

Later
F4UDOA

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2000, 01:10:00 PM »
that first spreadsheet has a few errors, i will upload a updated one soon

-lazs-

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2000, 08:42:00 AM »
One thing that most people miss is that the Hog has the best wing/fuselage juncture of about any mid/late war plane.   The Juncture is the ideal 90 degrees.   I have heard some say that this was offset somewhat by the the "gull" bend but most agree it was a big factor.
lazs

Offline bolillo_loco

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2000, 10:38:00 PM »
are we talking about drag coefficengs here and that the corsair had a low one almost as good as the mustang?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2000, 12:19:00 AM »
Hi

Well actually the reason for such a good drag number for chog was due to removal of tiny rocket stubs and less weight of ammo and guns compared to 1D. Muhahhaaaa yea right.  

-lazs-

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2000, 10:17:00 AM »
Like I said.... wing root juncture makes a big difference.   As F4Udoa points out, the speed tests are not in question.   The Hog was very fast at all alts.   2250 or so hp at sea level doesn't hurt tho.
lazs  

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
besides the F4U had probably one of the best Prop - engine - airframe combo of WW2 except maybe the P47N and M

DW6

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
and the Fw190

(adding some gasoline to the threat to see if its lit up by flames, this thread is being very boring  )

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
RAM,

I got a good one. Check out Zigrat's Excel spreadsheet on turn radius and rate.

Plug FW190D-9 into it. It has the worst turning circle of any bird in AH except maybe P-47. Almost 900meters to turn at 4G's.
F4U at around 650, P-51 around 700meters. Here is the link. Try it yourself.
 http://www.iit.edu/~buonmic/aircraft-test.xls

This should keep things interesting.

BTW, the F6F will be around 580meters. Wait until that bird shows up. People will be screaming.

Later
F4UDOA

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
I must say the truth. I have no idea on how to use Excel, so I still havent tried Zig's test thing.

And about 190d9, I expected it to turn a bit better than Fw190A8 (wich is enough bad  ). You say it turns a bit worse?. Nice.

LEss dweebs flying the man's plane  . And then there is no reason to perk it with MW50  

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »
Having it's cockpit located as far aft as possible helps to reduce drag as well, kinda like the Gee Bee concept.  The canopy was curved and sloped with at least a 45 degree angle, which was a major concern with the earlier Spitfires in causing drag.  There is no radiator scoops or ducting to cause drag with the air-cooled engine.  Except on the Mustang, those systems probably added enough drag to offset any benefits of using an inline engine.

Offline bolillo_loco

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
I have a question here. since they put the spoilers on the corsairs due to its stall habbits will this be modeled into the -4? this affected its turning ability.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2000, 05:51:00 PM »
f4udoa those units are feet, not meters  

one strange thing i have noticed from my spreadsheet is all aircraft in the game climb too slow at mid speeds..... around 250 MPH.. not sure why tho  

i havent modeled trim drag in the spreadsheet because to do that you need weight and balance info, as well as airfoil data and tail size ... not too easy info to get. plus it varies significantly for each plane.

also please note that this gives rather *generic* performance numbers which will be up to about 10% off the real aircrafts performance #s due to the fact that specifics of the planes are not well modeled (ie this program will over predit p51 performance at high AOA because its drag increase once laminar flow stops isnt modeled) and other such idosyncracies, but in *general* its a good idea to gague airplane performance.

someone asked how to determine dive performance, look at the -climb rate required to maintain a specific speed, and tehre you have the dive speed   ie go to 1 g dive, 5000 fpm dive and see the speed of each at this alt..

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
Nobody is going to have a cow over an F6F that turns well...most people are pretty aware of that and it turned well in Warbirds.

It will still have horrible rear vis, and it will still have nothing but .50s.