Author Topic: Why do you play the game?  (Read 10655 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Why do you play the game?
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Ripley, Wmaker knew.

Heh, again even if he knew he was out of fuel. Now what makes you think he should have started a fight he would lose 100% sure to loss of fuel? I wouldn't for sure.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2010, 11:04:01 AM »
All that being said we generally develop expectations specific to groups and individuals. Knowing that it was a particular squad and their love of aviation history and fondness for historic rides and the fact that they flew a couple of early/mid war rides in the LWA's I felt I had a reasonable chance of getting a fair fight.

Looks like you seriously overestimated or gave more credit than was due. Not a surprise, it is the MA. There is no honor or "code" among groups, only certain individuals. The MA unfortunately, as it exists today, is a place to kill however a kill may be won, regardless of what point between "well earned" and "totally dweebish" that kill may fall. HOing when the numbers are greatly in your favor, picking, ganging, all standard practice. I've found we each fly with our own personal "code" but there's very little chance that the red icon approaching you gives a rat's arse about anyone's expectations of good play.

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »
This is degenerating beyond it's intent in the sense that its not important if it was "me" or if I was SA deficient etc. My title was an honest question. Why do each of us play? For me it has always been love of the fight. Probably because I had no real natural ability. Almost 2 decades later I'm still a mediocre stick on the opened scale. As a general rule I don't ever talk a lot of smack...I'm just not good enough to back it up for one thing. So my question on 200 was legitimate...nobody wanted to go 1 on 1 with an SBD? I get ganged all the time, no problem. I never hide behind what I chose to fly or taunt the other guy or put out garbage on 200 "you were scared" or "I'd have owned you". Most of the good sticks I run into simply eviscerate me and on more then one occasion I've gotten the comment back "I knew it was probably you and I'm not gonna mess around and get stupid with you" {or words to that effect}.

To be candid I found wmakers comments on 200 surprising and out of character based on my perception of him and my perception of how I'm viewed within the game. I've got (in my own mind) zero reputation as either a smack talker or a whiner (although we all have our moments in the sun). I'm certainly not in the "U've bn pwnd" faction or the "spitard, HO, runstang" one or any other subset I can think of. So to me this was just a chance for a good pilot (obviously I was 99% sure which squad but not a particular person but they are all good sticks) in a favored ride to have some fun with a willing opponent in proximity to his own base...nothing more or less.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
This is degenerating beyond it's intent in the sense that its not important if it was "me" or if I was SA deficient etc. My title was an honest question. Why do each of us play? For me it has always been love of the fight. Probably because I had no real natural ability. Almost 2 decades later I'm still a mediocre stick on the opened scale. As a general rule I don't ever talk a lot of smack...I'm just not good enough to back it up for one thing. So my question on 200 was legitimate...nobody wanted to go 1 on 1 with an SBD? I get ganged all the time, no problem. I never hide behind what I chose to fly or taunt the other guy or put out garbage on 200 "you were scared" or "I'd have owned you". Most of the good sticks I run into simply eviscerate me and on more then one occasion I've gotten the comment back "I knew it was probably you and I'm not gonna mess around and get stupid with you" {or words to that effect}.

To be candid I found wmakers comments on 200 surprising and out of character based on my perception of him and my perception of how I'm viewed within the game. I've got (in my own mind) zero reputation as either a smack talker or a whiner (although we all have our moments in the sun). I'm certainly not in the "U've bn pwnd" faction or the "spitard, HO, runstang" one or any other subset I can think of. So to me this was just a chance for a good pilot (obviously I was 99% sure which squad but not a particular person but they are all good sticks) in a favored ride to have some fun with a willing opponent in proximity to his own base...nothing more or less.

Dear Humble. Dueling Arena is for 1 on 1 fights. Main arena is for massive online multiplayer experience where your opponents and number of them vary randomly. You might fly alone and end up fighting an organized squad of veteran players. This you can't do anything about (well, except logging to DA with someone special).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
Dear Humble. Dueling Arena is for 1 on 1 fights. Main arena is for ganging, picking, running, HOing, hording, picking, running, HOing and picking some more. You can do all these things as a group and then thump your chest about how stupid it is for anyone to expect good gameplay in the MA. This you can't do anything about (well, except logging to DA with someone special).

Fixed tha for ya.  ;)
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
In fact next time I'll get ganged by 6 higher, faster, more firepowered and tougher enemies I'll strongly demand them to engage me one by one so I can have a fair chance of shooting them down in my brewster.  Kinda like Karate movies where the hero is circled by 10 enemies and the others stand around shaking their fists and attack one at a time so the hero can knock them down using the two hands and feet he has :neener:

Somehow I'm guessing it will not happen though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:18:01 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
To be candid I found wmakers comments on 200 surprising and out of character based on my perception of him

Please read my previous posts, I fully admitted that I jumped the gun and were too harsh. I'm just growing tired with the general Ch200-mentality, it wasn't about you alone.

But knowing how these kind of thread end up, starting one is just plain stupidity in my eyes no matter what your underlying agenda is. You could have just upped another plane and come looking for trouble and let the virtual guns do the talking for you but instead, you logged off and started typing...

<sigh>
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline WarSix

• Zinc Member
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
   I too respect both Snaphook and Wmaker so not taking sides. However the only thing more fun to me than a great 1 on 1 in the MA's is good wingwork with a squadmate.  DA has f3 mode which can negate a good move. I had a few fun fights with snaphook and Cobia38 this morning and I can say they both have lots of class and fight as fair as possible. Its does tend to run one out of fuel waiting your turn though:). I don't look for 1 on 1's nor fight fair when in squad activities as main goal is to protect and set up squadie plus whatever the squads current activity is. It is also not looked upon in favor by my squad at least leaving your squadies to go off and duel someone during squad ops. The only thing better than a good 1 on 1 is the cameraderie of flying with your squadies. Also score can matter for your squad so it can be understandable to avoid a 1 on 1.  I doubt there are too many regulars that don't know the SBD under 3 k is most likely snaphook looking for a protracted stall fight or the low lone A20 is cobia38 looking for same. I'm sure snaphook was just frustrated he couldn't try out wmaker in his brewster it would of been a great fight.  No one has to alter their game play to suit anyone else.  
   It probably is getting more rare to get a good 1 on 1 situation these days but when it happens it reminds some of us why the game is so much fun. Those of us that enjoy it eventually find each other. Not everyones cup of tea so I reserve the right to HO,gang, and pick with the rest-LOL.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
  I too respect both Snaphook and Wmaker so not taking sides. However the only thing more fun to me than a great 1 on 1 in the MA's is good wingwork with a squadmate.  DA has f3 mode which can negate a good move. I had a few fun fights with snaphook and Cobia38 this morning and I can say they both have lots of class and fight as fair as possible. Its does tend to run one out of fuel waiting your turn though:). I don't look for 1 on 1's nor fight fair when in squad activities as main goal is to protect and set up squadie plus whatever the squads current activity is. It is also not looked upon in favor by my squad at least leaving your squadies to go off and duel someone during squad ops. The only thing better than a good 1 on 1 is the cameraderie of flying with your squadies. Also score can matter for your squad so it can be understandable to avoid a 1 on 1.  I doubt there are too many regulars that don't know the SBD under 3 k is most likely snaphook looking for a protracted stall fight or the low lone A20 is cobia38 looking for same. I'm sure snaphook was just frustrated he couldn't try out wmaker in his brewster it would of been a great fight.  No one has to alter their game play to suit anyone else.  
   It probably is getting more rare to get a good 1 on 1 situation these days but when it happens it reminds some of us why the game is so much fun. Those of us that enjoy it eventually find each other. Not everyones cup of tea so I reserve the right to HO,gang, and pick with the rest-LOL.

LOL you take too much for granted. I've been in this game since 2000 and its the first time I hear such. Nor should I care about it anyway. They're just targets.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
 I doubt there are too many regulars that don't know the SBD under 3 k is most likely snaphook looking for a protracted stall fight or the low lone A20 is cobia38 looking for same.

I have killed 96 SBDs and was killed by 6 of them in LW arena so far.
IIRC, none of them was flown by Snaphook. Similar situation with cobia and his A20. In such a huge arena, I don't assume anyone being in a particular plane unless I know he's in the area.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
Actually I asked you point blank if you wanted to take this to the BBS and you said yes. Your exact words were you trolled a whine out of me...and that I'm one of those who whine when I get killed.

My response was "why because I would have loved a 1 on 1 vs an excellent stick". I never "whined" at all about getting killed, just about not getting a chance to cross props with you. I've been flying the SBD all weekend and you can't find a single instance of me whining about getting killed. In fact here is my last hop. I could easily dodged the last fight or bowed out after the last "kill" to go land my 5 pelts. bottom line is I was out there looking for a fight and war always gives me one.
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/film74.ahf    

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
Lushe, Wmaker had cleared me off of a 109 20 min or so earlier. I would have assumed he didn't know it was me except for his comments on 200 afterward. Regardless of that he certainly was under no obligation to offer me a fight. his comments afterward are what tweaked me a bit. Again I actually have no issue with what occured, was I hoping for something different sure...it was the commentary on 200 that I found disappointing.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »

Fun fun fights earlier... :airplane: :joystick: :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Lushe, Wmaker had cleared me off of a 109 20 min or so earlier.

I wasn't commenting  on your particular "incident", but on WarSix' general statement, which I quoted.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
Actually I asked you point blank if you wanted to take this to the BBS and you said yes.

Untrue. You said: "I'll put the film up for you". You didn't ask me anything, you told me that you were going to put the film up for me. I seriously didn't think you were going to start a tirade on the BBS after you had 30secs to cool down. I was wrong there. I did reply "by all means" as I really didn't have anything to hide.

his comments afterward are what tweaked me a bit. Again I actually have no issue with what occured, was I hoping for something different sure...it was the commentary on 200 that I found disappointing.

If you didn't have an issue with what occurred you wouldn't have said anything on the Ch200 afterwards to begin with. Like I've said time and again, I jumped the gun on the Ch200 due to the crap that has been slung at me there recently. On a hindsight I should have just given out my standard reply to those type of comments; This isn't a DA.

Once more:

The only one anyone here has control over is themselves. The moment someone starts telling others how they should spend or should have spent their free time in an online pc game, he is out of line.

Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!