Author Topic: My new puppy  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
Re: My new puppy
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
Well, after a full run of tests (all coming back normal) and x-rays, the doc diagnosed her with Hemorragic Gastroenteritis (HGE).  She's hospitalized and taking IV fluids/antibiotics/anti-nausea meds.  Luckily, with supportive care the prognosis is good for a full recovery.  She'll probably be in the hospital for a couple of days, but it could've been much worse.  I really appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers, it's been a rough couple of days. 

AAJagerX

:banana: Glad it's not fatal! I hope she pulls through better than before!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
Cute pup!  Reminds me of The Little Rascals.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »
Good to hear AAJagerX

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
 AA,

Good news for sure,did the vet give a cause? Did they make suggestions to avoide a reocurance?

There's plenty a dog owner can do to prevent things from happening to our dogs,look what I'madot did to cure his dogs skin condition,simply finding the "right" food for your dog can make all the difference in the world.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery AA,I know vet bills can pile up rather high!

:salute

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »
Oddly enough, there's no known cause for HGE.  Also, chances of a recurrance are very slim.  There's also no test for it other than ruling everything else out.  Seemed kinda weird when the vet told me, but all of the info I can find online echoes what she said.  They looked everywhere for a cause....  Kidneys, liver, CBC, fecal swab, x-rays on her gut, thyroid, etc.  At least after this is over I'll know that she's in really good shape.  My other Rottie looked all over the house for her sister when I got back from the vet, now she's acting really depressed and won't leave whatever room that I'm in.  I feel sorry for the girl.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »
Oddly enough, there's no known cause for HGE.  Also, chances of a recurrance are very slim.  There's also no test for it other than ruling everything else out.  Seemed kinda weird when the vet told me, but all of the info I can find online echoes what she said.  They looked everywhere for a cause....  Kidneys, liver, CBC, fecal swab, x-rays on her gut, thyroid, etc.  At least after this is over I'll know that she's in really good shape.  My other Rottie looked all over the house for her sister when I got back from the vet, now she's acting really depressed and won't leave whatever room that I'm in.  I feel sorry for the girl.

Man I'm sure glad it wasn't anything more serious.  I know how it feels to suddenly lose one.  Just think how happy they'll both be when they get reunited. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »
Cute pup!  Reminds me of The Little Rascals.

Hey thanks Hap.  Oddly enough, just the other day my girlfriend got onto Sadie about something and she put her paw over her eye just like Petey.  We both erupted into laughter. 

I'm finding that puppies are so much easier to raise when  you have adult dogs to help show them the way.  She's the sweetest little girl, and since she comes from a long line of champion pulling dogs, even at 10 weeks she's already getting serious muscles in her legs.  It's great to see her grow every day.

We just got a new digital camera yesterday, so I'll be putting some more (and good quality this time) pics up in the coming days.  Just as soon as we get a better handle on how to properly use that camera.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »

Hey, I wonder if a Kevlar chewtoy would stand up to a dog.

-Penguin

Hahaha..now that's a thought....I'm going to go and get my mates old body Armour and give it a go....

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:18 PM »
Rotties are simply awesome.  These are my two 10 year old girlz.  Had em since pups, and dunno what I'd do without em.

(Image removed from quote.)

Tira on the left, Kaya on the right.
This is their "What now coach?" look.
Jaeger my rott got a boner looking at that pic lol i jk beautiful girls i need one. a girl that is rotty
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
The GF got a new camera a couple of days ago so we're in the process of taking some pics.  With a little luck, and study of the manual I'll be able to post a couple of good quality of my guys, and the new little girl here in the next couple of days. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
can't wait to see them madda! i bet shes gettin big since the first pic u posted. i know stuka sure grew fast, i can't wait for him to fully fill out but on the other hand i miss my cuddly puppy :)
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
Hahaha..now that's a thought....I'm going to go and get my mates old body Armour and give it a go....

I wouldnt use kevlar or carbonfiber with a staffy,they could splinter, the best toys I've found are made by "kong" they make all kinds of hard rubber toys that last a fair length of time.

Another option is a small trailer tire,just be carefull of any steel belts that may erupt,motorcycle tires work well too.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:58 AM »

I wouldnt use kevlar or carbonfiber with a staffy,they could splinter, the best toys I've found are made by "kong" they make all kinds of hard rubber toys that last a fair length of time.

Another option is a small trailer tire,just be carefull of any steel belts that may erupt,motorcycle tires work well too.

The mighty kongs just aren't so mighty...the longest one has lasted was 22hrs...I've tried a few of them but the cost factor started to play a part...I'll just stick to the buckets then

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2010, 02:59:17 AM »

i have bought kong toys for stuka and tank and i can honestly say only a couple of them have proven to be tough enough for my boys. I buy them the like 3' tug of war ropes also and they will mangle them just from playin with them in no time at all. Once I see any of the toys becoming a hazard to them i throw them away. at the local pet supply store, they have these tug o' war toys that are not made of string but of some material that is very strong. almost feels like a carhart material. anyways, my boys have yet to hurt this toy. they love to play tug o war but till now i was unable to find anything that will hold up to them. i did find a cool 10" tire it is so cute! it has lil puppy paw prints on it and its very think rubber, stuka and tank love it! they play together with all their toys. its so funny to see them both latched on to this tire and playing together with it. they even toss it up on the air. im scared one of these days they will toss it and it will break my TV or other things around the house hehe. i can't wait till summer so they can go outside and run off their energy!
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:04 AM »
too all the pit luvers out here....check this out! i have "shorty's rescue" as a friend on my myspace, what he does to help pits is awsome. he also educates people that are scared of them.

just wanted to share..
~~~The Killuminati~~~